Question about my battery (life).

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so on occasion, I travel to visit my girlfriend's family at their "getaway" spot. It's all nature up there, and there is no cell signal. When I go, I always take my phone, and usually play games on it A LOT while there. Due to this I charge my phone 2-3 times throughout the day. My main question is this: is it bad for the overall life of the battery if I, for example, unplug it at 100% battery, drain it to 15% through gaming, recharge up to 60%, drain it back down to 5%, charge it back up to 50%, drain it til 3%, then charge it overnight back up to 100%? Because on a typical day up there that is how my phone gets used and charged.

I'm just curious because I don't think my batter is lasting as long as it used to. It may just be in my head, but tell me if this is normal battery life (I have a Focus, by the way): I'm in 3G coverage, 1 1/2 hours of apps that require data (hardly ever connected to WiFi), 15-30 minutes of gaming, an hour of web browsing, ~15 Bing searches/Vision uses/Music, Email synced every 30 minutes, ~45 minutes of calls, 10 minutes of music, ~2-3 youtube videos, ~30-50 texts with about 10 of those using voice and 3-5 with pictures, sync Office once a day, ~3-5 pictures, ~5 tweets/fb statuses, notifications checked regularly, about 12 live tiles, and settings are as follows: screen timeout is 1 minute, brightness is automatic.

With this usage, which I would consider moderate to heavy, I am getting on average 8-9 hours of battery life. Is that normal?

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, yes it is normal. Don't forget and as said in another post. Battery life also suffers when a phone is always searching for a signal.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Indeed my parents live several hours away and at their house the reception is marginal at best (will be much better if and when skype comes and voip will be veryu doable. But until then it recharge a lot!

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Every time you perform a charge cycle it will deteriorate the maximum capacity of the battery. Charging in smaller amounts does not hurt the battery, only the number of cycles. A charge cycle is 100% of the maximum capacity, this can be spread out over several charges. Typically a Lithium Ion battery has over 500 charge cycles until it is dead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo