Advice for someone thinking about switching from BB to WP?

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Thanks everyone!

I'll most likely be using AT&T. My contract is up with them, and I am hesitant to re-up for 2 years (so I'll be buying any phone off of contract), but they seem to be the best in my area followed closely by Verizon. T-Mobile and Sprint are extremely spotty here, so those two aren't an option.

Dell venue pro user here and the keyboard is really nice. Solid firm click when buttons are pressed and an intelligent layout. I have a BB tour for my work phone and now I hate typing on it. Keys are too small and feel weird to me.

The device itself is heavy though, but that is because it is a very solidly built device. Not cheaply made at all. Feels good in the hand.

the screen is LED which I think helps battery life is I am correct. I can get a good day and a half out out of the phone with moderate usage of text text and email and the occasional web surfing.

I would recommend the phone for anyone looking for a serious keyboard. And the OS is fun, clean, stable and snappy. I have tried a lot of phones. This one has to be my favorite out of all.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

ugadawg239

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Take a serios Lima t windows phone 7

I think that the WP7 keyboard is the best on the market. I am amazed by how responsive the virtual keyboard is on the focus. You won't need very many apps, everything issa well integrated in such a well thought out way. The OS is so fast. Android is a waste of money in my opinion. I thin they need way to much processing power to even have the experience to come close to what wp7 offers on only a single core. It's only going to get better. It's a young operating system and it's already this advanced.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
We used to have only BB devices but we switched sometime back to the Windows Phones. Most took the opportunity and went with the Samsung Omnia 7 which is pretty much the Focus I guess in the US.

Only 2 could not be weaned off the keyboard and we supplied the Nokia E72 devices but even these guys are now desperate to get away from these phones and onto the WP phones.

Assuming that you will not miss any of the core functionality of the BB Server side I think the WP is a good replacement. The email is far more pleasant on the eye and the keyboard is extremely easy to use. We had some initial issues mainly around Out of office and calendars which we are reasonably happy with now that we have the 7.5 update.

I for one gave up my BB for the HTC Desire long before the others and then switched to the Omnia 7 and I really can I miss absolutely nothing from either platform.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
We used to have only BB devices but we switched sometime back to the Windows Phones. Most took the opportunity and went with the Samsung Omnia 7 which is pretty much the Focus I guess in the US.

Only 2 could not be weaned off the keyboard and we supplied the Nokia E72 devices but even these guys are now desperate to get away from these phones and onto the WP phones.

Assuming that you will not miss any of the core functionality of the BB Server side I think the WP is a good replacement. The email is far more pleasant on the eye and the keyboard is extremely easy to use. We had some initial issues mainly around Out of office and calendars which we are reasonably happy with now that we have the 7.5 update.

I for one gave up my BB for the HTC Desire long before the others and then switched to the Omnia 7 and I really can I miss absolutely nothing from either platform.

I would go back to Bold 9900 because of it's excellend hardware design (I had Bold 9000 and it's just so comfortable to hold/type/abuse).

Speaking of the really performance/OS of 9900, I heard it sucks big time - battery issue, bricking issue, browser issue.. etc.

=( It will take at least two more years for me to consider BB again.

WPGenius

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I can say coming from the Torch myself, the ONLY thing im really missing on this device (LG Quantum) is a LED indicator, but im used to the tiles doing the make-up work for me, its really convenient in the long run, and im starting to notice that the core apps people use are coming at a good pace now, THANK YOU MANGO!

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I would go back to Bold 9900 because of it's excellend hardware design (I had Bold 9000 and it's just so comfortable to hold/type/abuse).

Speaking of the really performance/OS of 9900, I heard it sucks big time - battery issue, bricking issue, browser issue.. etc.

=( It will take at least two more years for me to consider BB again.

THe 9900 is very tempting, but I think I'm ready for something different. Three months ago, I would have bought it without a second thought.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
THe 9900 is very tempting, but I think I'm ready for something different. Three months ago, I would have bought it without a second thought.

Glad you didn't. too many issues with 9900 turn it into a total trash. If RIM reload 9900 with bigger battery and a more robust OS. nothing can beat it for efficiency

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad you didn't. too many issues with 9900 turn it into a total trash. If RIM reload 9900 with bigger battery and a more robust OS. nothing can beat it for efficiency

I've noticed that reading reviews of it. People either seem to have tons of issues, or think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. No one is in the middle.

I'm going to check it and the focus S out on Sunday, before making my final decision, but I'm pretty much sold on the Focus S. However, the possible lack of storage on the focus (some reports being 8 or 16 gb without SD slot) could turn me off. In which case, I'll either get the 9900 or wait.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that reading reviews of it. People either seem to have tons of issues, or think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. No one is in the middle.

I'm going to check it and the focus S out on Sunday, before making my final decision, but I'm pretty much sold on the Focus S. However, the possible lack of storage on the focus (some reports being 8 or 16 gb without SD slot) could turn me off. In which case, I'll either get the 9900 or wait.

iPhone 4s for me instead, if my L800 doesn't arrive in Nov...

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll most likely wait. My Torch works fine for now.

Good for you. I can't stand Torch any longer (more about its hardware, too easily unlocked in my pocket) and am selling it on ebay. Unfortunately I don't think it will sell well.

Win8 + Apollo is a big deal and I am really looking forward to that. Plus it would be a good time to buy a new laptop as well.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Storage is often cited as a problem which I think for some it might be. For me I think the combination of the Skydrive cloud storage and in my case Zune pass subscription pretty much makes the storage issue redundant even when I downloaded the 3gb of maps for the Navigon (Which I have since been refunded).

swimmer160

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm doing the same thing on Sunday as well. I spoke with an AT&T business care rep today inquiring about the 9900 and Focus S to try and get some off-contract pricing, which he didn't have. However, he did give me specs on the Focus S, said the had just received them today. Apparently a 16GB internal storage upgradable by another 16GB microSD card. Don't know why it'd be 16GB SD card rather than a 32GB one...maybe that's a MS thing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99