Why the Windows Phone keyboard has a better virtual keyboard [Article]

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Why Windows Phone has a better virtual keyboard [Article]

Microsoft: Why Windows Phone 7 has a better soft keyboard | Windows Phone Secrets

Very interesting article talking about the amount of thought and work that went into designing the WP7 keyboard, which I'm sure many of you will agree is one of the best virtual keyboards out there.

The part I found most interesting was this:

"By combining statistical models of language patterns and touch points, the keyboard dynamically changes the virtual size of the likely next letter, so that it has a larger target area—the area where tapping the keypad results in a particular letter, symbol, or number."

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My friend couldn't stand the keyboard sound LOL but I love hearing it

I'm not a very big fan of any sort of simulated keyboard click, just like how I'm not a fan of the fake shutter sounds most smartphone cameras make. My phone is on silent most of the time just for that fact.

On a virtual keyboard, hearing the click does nothing for me. On a physical keyboard however, the click and feel of the buttons is very important.

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
my wife hates the keyboard sound, thats why i leave it on. actually, i feel it helps me type better. gives it a more physical feeling of typing.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but wish you could control the kb volume independently. Like maybe low, med, high, with high being around 15 and low being 5.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but wish you could control the kb volume independently. Like maybe low, med, high, with high being around 15 and low being 5.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

i wish i could control all the sounds independently. i dont like that there is only one volume control for the whole phone.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard on windows phone is the beat I have ever used and that includes the iPad one, 99% of the time, the WP keyboard gets what I am trying to type even when my typing is inaccurate.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the keyboard on wp7 is pretty bad, constantly making mistakes and the auto-correct is horrible.

Welcome to the land of virtual keyboards. There are no good Virtual keyboards out there, some just suck less than others.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The trophy is my first phone without a physical keyboard. I think it's decent, but I still make mistakes. It's far better than the touch keyboard on my droid.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Got the Quantum due to fear of going virtual only. I'm so impressed with it next device will be touchscreen only. Have no idea what ryude is talking about-auto correct is excellent.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The trophy is my first phone without a physical keyboard. I think it's decent, but I still make mistakes. It's far better than the touch keyboard on my droid.

Like I said, all virtual keyboards suck, some just suck less than others. Let's face it, touchscreen technology- it still sucks, and until someone releases next generation touchscreen technology, virtual keyboards are going to remain inaccurate.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing texttextrevolution this evening. Some people are amazing. 70 wow! I can barely get 27. It seems like a good way to get faster though.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought the keyboard was the best I had ever used in NoDo. After Mango, it was terrible. My keyboard is way worse and one-handed typing is terrible now. I hope Microsoft hurries and fixes this because they said they are investigating the disappearing acts and I hope they've received enough complaints of decreased accuracy (or find it themselves, either by use or through the code)

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I've been playing texttextrevolution this evening. Some people are amazing. 70 wow! I can barely get 27. It seems like a good way to get faster though.
First time I heard of the game. Fun! It's cute that they show where you tapped after a round. I apparently tap all over the place and still did fairly well (10k+ score, ~37wpm, 80+% accuracy), which is why I don't understand how others think the keyboard is really bad. Maybe they're like this: fry fumbles with a launch button for three seconds - YouTube

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss