Why the Windows Phone keyboard has a better virtual keyboard [Article]

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I find that when I hit a key, it will press the key next to it even though I press RIGHT on the key I want. Also, I hate how when I type a word that it doesn't understand it automatically changes it to what it thinks it should be. Then I have to backspace, type it again and long-press so that it will add it to it's dictionary. Very annoying imo.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I find that when I hit a key, it will press the key next to it even though I press RIGHT on the key I want. Also, I hate how when I type a word that it doesn't understand it automatically changes it to what it thinks it should be. Then I have to backspace, type it again and long-press so that it will add it to it's dictionary. Very annoying imo.

It's the same with pretty much all virtual keyboards my friend. It's frustrating, but something you have to accept.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The mango keyboard has a bug that makes it randomly close down on you while typing. Is anyone else experiencing this. Accuracy seems a bit less than before too. I went from typing 40 wpm or more to making a ton of corrections whenever I use it.

Other than that the size and layout of the keyboard is fantastic. Only other keyboard I think may be better is Motorola multi touch keyboard on their android phones.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The mango keyboard has a bug that makes it randomly close down on you while typing. Is anyone else experiencing this. Accuracy seems a bit less than before too. I went from typing 40 wpm or more to making a ton of corrections whenever I use it.

Other than that the size and layout of the keyboard is fantastic. Only other keyboard I think may be better is Motorola multi touch keyboard on their android phones.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That bug is so well known that M$ is currently "looking into it". I just hope they can fix it soon.

Actually it's because of the background agents.

Check here: Mango disappearing keyboard workaround

There is one line of the code in some apps that are not supposed to be there. That line is only for test purpose, but once included in the final release, the associated background agent will make the keyboard vanish at certain points in time. Either those apps need to update themselves, or M$ can help release a fix.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
That bug is so well known that M$ is currently "looking into it". I just hope they can fix it soon.

Actually it's because of the background agents.

Check here: Mango disappearing keyboard workaround

There is one line of the code in some apps that are not supposed to be there. That line is only for test purpose, but once included in the final release, the associated background agent will make the keyboard vanish at certain points in time. Either those apps need to update themselves, or M$ can help release a fix.

Ipersonally have not witnessed this issue but I do understand that man have. I only have two weather and acrobible. Perhaps that why I have been lucky (so far) to not have experienced this issue (knock on wood)

AS far as the line of code one would think that someone would have checked that before release and taken care of that or they would issue a small fix that eliminates that line of code.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ipersonally have not witnessed this issue but I do understand that man have. I only have two weather and acrobible. Perhaps that why I have been lucky (so far) to not have experienced this issue (knock on wood)

AS far as the line of code one would think that someone would have checked that before release and taken care of that or they would issue a small fix that eliminates that line of code.

That's the thing, it's only one line of code out of millions. It's very hard to find.

Ever seen Office Space? Small lines of code go unnoticed when you have such a large volume.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

That's the thing, it's only one line of code out of millions. It's very hard to find.

Ever seen Office Space? Small lines of code go unnoticed when you have such a large volume.

Yea, right, but I think the true problem is that you cannot search for a line of code in executables.

Even in source code, removing a line might create a huge mess depending on the context and functionality of the code.

Instead, need to patch the system to ignore that certain behavior.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea, right, but I think the true problem is that you cannot search for a line of code in executables.

Even in source code, removing a line might create a huge mess depending on the context and functionality of the code.

Instead, need to patch the system to ignore that certain behavior.
Whatever they need to do, they need to do quickly.

Will Microsoft allow you to swap out the virtual keyboard for something like Swype?
I imagine it's because of Microsoft wants to keep WP7 relatively closed up. Where Android allows users to go in and change things about the software, you cannot do the same with Windows Phone. Also, I think it's because Microsoft really wants to make it on their own. They want to make a name of WP7 using THEIR technology, not others.

L

lumic

If it auto-corrects, you tap the word and there will be option to revert to the original spelling. If it does the red underline for your word, you tap and it will allow you to add the word to your dictionary. Unless you have a very peculiar vocabulary, this shouldn't be a huge issue past the first week of usage.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
"By combining statistical models of language patterns and touch points, the keyboard dynamically changes the virtual size of the likely next letter, so that it has a larger target area?the area where tapping the keypad results in a particular letter, symbol, or number."

Suitably spooky for holloween night...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

i have found, at least for my fingers that if i type on the left side of the key it is more accurate in selecting the proper key so thats what i try to do!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99