10-31-2011 08:23 PM
33 12
tools
    Microsoft: Why Windows Phone 7 has a better soft keyboard | Windows Phone Secrets

Very interesting article talking about the amount of thought and work that went into designing the WP7 keyboard, which I'm sure many of you will agree is one of the best virtual keyboards out there.

The part I found most interesting was this:

"By combining statistical models of language patterns and touch points, the keyboard dynamically changes the virtual size of the likely next letter, so that it has a larger target area—the area where tapping the keypad results in a particular letter, symbol, or number."
    10-28-2011 11:56 PM
    My friend couldn't stand the keyboard sound LOL but I love hearing it
    10-29-2011 12:24 AM
    Very interesting article indeed 3migo!
    10-29-2011 12:57 AM
    My friend couldn't stand the keyboard sound LOL but I love hearing it
    I'm not a very big fan of any sort of simulated keyboard click, just like how I'm not a fan of the fake shutter sounds most smartphone cameras make. My phone is on silent most of the time just for that fact.

On a virtual keyboard, hearing the click does nothing for me. On a physical keyboard however, the click and feel of the buttons is very important.
    Rodolfo#WP likes this.
    10-29-2011 01:37 AM
    my wife hates the keyboard sound, thats why i leave it on. actually, i feel it helps me type better. gives it a more physical feeling of typing.
    10-29-2011 09:40 AM
    Yeah, but wish you could control the kb volume independently. Like maybe low, med, high, with high being around 15 and low being 5.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    sm07 likes this.
    10-29-2011 09:44 AM
    Yeah, but wish you could control the kb volume independently. Like maybe low, med, high, with high being around 15 and low being 5.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    i wish i could control all the sounds independently. i dont like that there is only one volume control for the whole phone.
    10-29-2011 09:50 AM
    I think the keyboard on wp7 is pretty bad, constantly making mistakes and the auto-correct is horrible.
    10-29-2011 12:23 PM
    I think the keyboard on wp7 is pretty bad, constantly making mistakes and the auto-correct is horrible.
    This, I'm in no way a fan.
    10-29-2011 12:55 PM
    The keyboard on windows phone is the beat I have ever used and that includes the iPad one, 99% of the time, the WP keyboard gets what I am trying to type even when my typing is inaccurate.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
    10-29-2011 12:55 PM
    Welcome to the land of virtual keyboards. There are no good Virtual keyboards out there, some just suck less than others.
    10-29-2011 03:33 PM
    The trophy is my first phone without a physical keyboard. I think it's decent, but I still make mistakes. It's far better than the touch keyboard on my droid.
    10-29-2011 03:52 PM
    Got the Quantum due to fear of going virtual only. I'm so impressed with it next device will be touchscreen only. Have no idea what ryude is talking about-auto correct is excellent.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    10-29-2011 04:04 PM
    different strokes for different folks everybofy's got an opinion many are different
    10-29-2011 04:31 PM
    The trophy is my first phone without a physical keyboard. I think it's decent, but I still make mistakes. It's far better than the touch keyboard on my droid.
    Like I said, all virtual keyboards suck, some just suck less than others. Let's face it, touchscreen technology- it still sucks, and until someone releases next generation touchscreen technology, virtual keyboards are going to remain inaccurate.
    10-29-2011 05:50 PM
    I've liked WP's virtual keyboard the most so far.
    10-29-2011 08:59 PM
    I've been playing texttextrevolution this evening. Some people are amazing. 70 wow! I can barely get 27. It seems like a good way to get faster though.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express
    10-29-2011 09:07 PM
    I've liked WP's virtual keyboard the most so far.
    I would agree. It seems like it has the best layout.
    10-29-2011 09:34 PM
    I thought the keyboard was the best I had ever used in NoDo. After Mango, it was terrible. My keyboard is way worse and one-handed typing is terrible now. I hope Microsoft hurries and fixes this because they said they are investigating the disappearing acts and I hope they've received enough complaints of decreased accuracy (or find it themselves, either by use or through the code)
    10-29-2011 11:42 PM
    I've been playing texttextrevolution this evening. Some people are amazing. 70 wow! I can barely get 27. It seems like a good way to get faster though.
    First time I heard of the game. Fun! It's cute that they show where you tapped after a round. I apparently tap all over the place and still did fairly well (10k+ score, ~37wpm, 80+% accuracy), which is why I don't understand how others think the keyboard is really bad. Maybe they're like this:
    3migo likes this.
    10-30-2011 12:13 AM
    I find that when I hit a key, it will press the key next to it even though I press RIGHT on the key I want. Also, I hate how when I type a word that it doesn't understand it automatically changes it to what it thinks it should be. Then I have to backspace, type it again and long-press so that it will add it to it's dictionary. Very annoying imo.
    10-30-2011 03:17 PM
    I find that when I hit a key, it will press the key next to it even though I press RIGHT on the key I want. Also, I hate how when I type a word that it doesn't understand it automatically changes it to what it thinks it should be. Then I have to backspace, type it again and long-press so that it will add it to it's dictionary. Very annoying imo.
    It's the same with pretty much all virtual keyboards my friend. It's frustrating, but something you have to accept.
    10-30-2011 04:20 PM
    The mango keyboard has a bug that makes it randomly close down on you while typing. Is anyone else experiencing this. Accuracy seems a bit less than before too. I went from typing 40 wpm or more to making a ton of corrections whenever I use it.

Other than that the size and layout of the keyboard is fantastic. Only other keyboard I think may be better is Motorola multi touch keyboard on their android phones.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    10-30-2011 07:38 PM
    The mango keyboard has a bug that makes it randomly close down on you while typing. Is anyone else experiencing this. Accuracy seems a bit less than before too. I went from typing 40 wpm or more to making a ton of corrections whenever I use it.

Other than that the size and layout of the keyboard is fantastic. Only other keyboard I think may be better is Motorola multi touch keyboard on their android phones.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    That bug is so well known that M$ is currently "looking into it". I just hope they can fix it soon.

Actually it's because of the background agents.

Check here: Mango disappearing keyboard workaround

There is one line of the code in some apps that are not supposed to be there. That line is only for test purpose, but once included in the final release, the associated background agent will make the keyboard vanish at certain points in time. Either those apps need to update themselves, or M$ can help release a fix.
    10-30-2011 09:31 PM
    I'm actually very surprised that Microsoft hasn't issued a patch to fix the disappearing keyboard by now.
    10-30-2011 10:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD