11-11-2011 08:03 AM
108 12345
tools
    I want Flash.

Why? Because I've been in talks with the LazyTube developers. They aren't able to keep compatibility with the desktop YouTube selection because YouTube forbids it. Hence, when the update hits I will be stuck with no way to play the large amount of videos which do not provide mobile versions.

This is a disgusting way for Google to differentiate their platform, especially from a company who does no evil. However, the flip side argument is that we should just have Flash, "easy" solution. Or, you know - Google could have stuck with HTML5 specifications and converted YouTube to it.
    10-31-2011 07:30 PM
    People should really research their product before purchasing it
    10-31-2011 09:46 PM
    I want Flash.

Why? Because I've been in talks with the LazyTube developers. They aren't able to keep compatibility with the desktop YouTube selection because YouTube forbids it. Hence, when the update hits I will be stuck with no way to play the large amount of videos which do not provide mobile versions.

This is a disgusting way for Google to differentiate their platform, especially from a company who does no evil. However, the flip side argument is that we should just have Flash, "easy" solution. Or, you know - Google could have stuck with HTML5 specifications and converted YouTube to it.
    A company that does no evil? Can't tell if srs..

anyway, Youtube has the ability to use HTML5. You have to opt-in as its a trial. Works for most videos.
    10-31-2011 10:42 PM
    People should really research their product before purchasing it
    Ha..Im one of those people. I ordered my trophy over the phone w/ Verizon because it was made by HTC. Never knew Microsoft even made cell phones. Boy was I in for a big surprise!!......
    Last edited by jdd77; 11-01-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Judge_Daniel likes this.
    10-31-2011 11:03 PM
    I don't think Flash is a big deal either - iPhone seems to do just fine without and so will WP7. There's lots more other holes in WP7 that are harder to fill/cover up - Bing vs. Google for search, Native support for GMail (Android and iOS have it), Bing Maps vs. Google Maps (this one is no contest), Google Voice support (if you don't have it, get it, no more worries about porting your number) - once again both iOS and Android have great GVoice support, while WP7 claims 90% of the most important apps are there the other 10% is key - no Audible (after one year), very few sports apps (NHL, NFL - can't live without those, banks/brokerage, travel (hotel/airlines), Pandora - those are just off the top of my head. One more biggie for Verizon/ATT - how about future proof for TWO years by having an LTE phone - this one is almost a show stopper. I really, really hope MS gets on the ball with some of these.
    11-01-2011 05:17 AM
    I would not want flash on this phone after experiencing it on other mobile devices. I dont see it as nessasary. What we do need on WP are apps to cover the functionality, like iplayer, 4od apps here in the UK. Those sort of apps come with greater market share and platform exposure. The apps are more pleasurable to use than surfing to one of those sites.

To be honest those features are not much different than what you get on a skinned android phone. Fb/twitter is integrated into those devices and google has equivalent services (maps, places, latitude, goggles, etc).
    Except using an Android phone feels like using Windows Mobile 6 with Sense. Clunky, insecure, a complete lack of a unified GUI across menu's and apps, and essentially is an advertising platform for Google. Android phones are bloated, resource hogs and feel cheap in OS and hardware. Interestingly our IT dept. no longer provide work apps for Android phones due to their security issues.

how excited I was leading up to the release of this platform. Now. Not so much...)
    Hey, fair enough my friend, we can't all like the same things in life, and if we did, what a boring world we would live in. I like the innovation MS has brought to the smartphone GUI arena. I mean we've had grids of shortcuts in grids of folders for the last decade, ever since Cookie's Home tab on my old Touch Diamond, so the live tiles are a breath of fresh air with their, at a glance, pushed info. So I am happy to take a great mans advice and will continue to "think different", ironically. I personally like having something other than what the masses are using.

Regards
    Last edited by SanityFM; 11-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    11-01-2011 07:26 AM
    Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst. They are ugly, non-customizable, and have no folder support. Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!
    11-01-2011 07:33 AM
    Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst.
    How so?

They are ugly
    Opinion.

non-customizable
    Compared to?

and have no folder support
    IT'S A LIVE TILE. As clear as mud? I thought so.

Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!
    I'm sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. My BBC News tile displays headline/breaking news, my weather app shows me the current weather/my location, the "me" tile shows me all the alerts from Windows Live, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, my WP tile shows me the latest news...... AND SO ON.
    SanityFM and 11B1P like this.
    11-01-2011 08:31 AM
    In reply to Ryude:

Well not being a fan of any particular faceless corporation, simply of tech in general, I wouldnt know my friend. Each to their own I guess. There are many reasons to buy one platform over another.

To me it's an innovative step forward from the dated grids of shortcuts, that only seem to present numbers, I have been using since Windows Mobile 5, a decade ago. Tiles are beautiful and work fantastically providing, at a glance info, customisation, and deep linked access to features within apps, not just the app shortcut. Its not nessasarily a reason to buy a particular phone but it is an advantage, on a phone which does have one or two disadvantages at the moment. Just as Big Supes said the BBC give me live breaking news to the tile, as do WPcentral. The Me tab shows me social networking notifications. The calender gives me my upcoming appointments. Flixter updates its tile with a poster pic of some new film or other. It's great.

With regards to customisation, I love the "my live tile" type apps for just that reason. I personally have a green lizard picture on a black background across two tiles at the top of my homescreen. It looks like he's sat on top of my tiles. Lol, its the simple things hehe.

Besides, who's arguing mate? No-ones trying to convince anyone of anything as I would imagine everyone who buys a WP knows about the benefits of tiles when they purchase, likes them, and comes here to chat. If they thought MS platform was ugly, surely they wouldnt buy it, and therefore not be on this forum, lol. Only a fool would hang around something, or somewhere they didn't like.

I thought this was just a discussion about smartphone tech, centred on WP, as this is a WP forum. I'm just giving my point of view, as someone who has dealt with, and deals with all 4 platforms on a regular basis. Doesnt mean I'm right or wrong as there is a certain amount of subjectivity, specially with regards to GUI. What isn't subjective is that live tiles give you more, at a glance info than a traditional shortcut.

Folder support, yeah thats great on my PC, but, for me, is unnessasary on the WP. What would be the point of putting a live tile in a folder so you cant see any pushed info. I may as well just have a shortcut in the app list. Maybe you meant the app list, but I find the jump lists more than adequate. It's different, yes. Its change, yes. As a lover of tech I think thats to be aplauded and embraced, rather than another clone of Windows Mobile, or iPhone if you can't remember back that far.

Personally I just love to try new tech, and WP is that. Thats why I own one as my personal phone. That doesn't mean I support the platform forever more like some football team, lol. In my experience all platforms have their strengths and weaknesses and when my contract is up next time, I'll do the research and choose. That's simply being a consumer. The more competition, the better :)

Regards
    Last edited by SanityFM; 11-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    11-01-2011 08:54 AM
    Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst. They are ugly, non-customizable, and have no folder support. Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!
    i got 2 questions for you..

1. Why do you own a WP7....

2. Why are you here?......

your clearly a Iphone/android fan boy (probly Iphone cause your talking like one ) and all you do is troll...... and 99% if your arguments make no sense and or are personal preference that you use to back up your points instead of actual Facts..

you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT like WP7... so why are you still using it or still here...

bashing tiles like it wasn’t one of the MAIN sell points of WP7 .... again why do you have a WP7 if u dont like it......
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 11-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    11-01-2011 09:06 AM
    I've been using wp7 for almost 3 months now and I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of it. But I wouldn't bash it..I think the metro UI is an innovative idea and definitely different..just in my opinion, not for the better. The color themes, the lack of basic settings, and having EVERYTHING on one screen doesn't work for me. None of the major platforms are perfect but with this OS, you either love or hate it. Its extreme in the way that theres very little in the middle of the spectrum for your average phone user looking for a phone that's a phone. Again, wp7 is innovative but needs to retain some basics and familiarity that every other phone you've ever used has. If the home screen was customizable with wallpaper, showed the time, and had dedicated call icons, and the metro UI was a secondary screen that you swipe to, this phone would blow the competition away...
    11-01-2011 10:31 AM
    I've been using wp7 for almost 3 months now and I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of it. But I wouldn't bash it..I think the metro UI is an innovative idea and definitely different..just in my opinion, not for the better. The color themes, the lack of basic settings, and having EVERYTHING on one screen doesn't work for me. None of the major platforms are perfect but with this OS, you either love or hate it. Its extreme in the way that theres very little in the middle of the spectrum for your average phone user looking for a phone that's a phone. Again, wp7 is innovative but needs to retain some basics and familiarity that every other phone you've ever used has. If the home screen was customizable with wallpaper, showed the time, and had dedicated call icons, and the metro UI was a secondary screen that you swipe to, this phone would blow the competition away...

hey , not trying to troll you here lol i just happen to read every thing .. just wanted to clear up some of your complaints/suggestion/worries.

are you just being sarcastic here? or are you for real..

What would be the point of a wallpaper if you cant see it? like wallpaper on Iphone is SOOOOOOOOOOO USELESS, you cant even make out the pic behind all the icons. but if you enjoy seeing 10% of the left side of your wallpaper rock & roll ill respect wanting that... )

showed the time? lol dude are seriously? click the top part of your screen. ( had to restrain myself from laughing to hard here LOL..)

Dedicated CALL ICON? what about the BIG icon with a PHONE on it... LMAO! .

i must be missing something here or you haven’t taken your phone out of the BOX yet! ……

as for METRO UI being a secondery screen ... what would the first one be?

again my attentions are not to attack you , just trying to understand. are you just being sarcastic here? LOL or are you for real..
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 11-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Big Supes likes this.
    11-01-2011 10:44 AM
    Honestly, what is it with people who claim to have been using WP7 and then follow up with a post that clearly shows they haven't?!?! *sigh*
    palandri and cckgz4 like this.
    11-01-2011 10:57 AM
    hey , not trying to troll you here lol i just happen to read every thing .. just wanted to clear up some of your complaints/suggestion/worries.

are you just being sarcastic here? or are you for real..

What would be the point of a wallpaper if you cant see it? like wallpaper on Iphone is SOOOOOOOOOOO USELESS, you cant even make out the pic behind all the icons. but if you enjoy seeing 10% of the left side of your wallpaper rock & roll ill respect wanting that... )

showed the time? lol dude are seriously? click the top part of your screen. ( had to restrain myself from laughing to hard here LOL..)

Dedicated CALL ICON? what about the BIG icon with a PHONE on it... LMAO! .

i must be missed something here or you havent taken your phone out of the BOX yet!

as for METRO UI being a secondery screen ... what would the first one be?

again my attentions are not to attack you , just trying to understand. are you just being sarcastic here? LOL or are you for real..
    What I'm saying is you WOULD see the wallpaper if the metro UI was on a SECOND screen and the phone icon would be a permanent soft key (not an unpinnable tile) on the home screen. And I know you can click the top of the screen to see the time, just stating my preference to have a familiar cell phone experience when you unlock the screen: clock, phone dialer, wallpaper. It would still be unlike any other OS because you would swipe to the metro UI, where you have all the other things. My premise was to explain why you either love it or hate it, and my ideas as to why.
    11-01-2011 11:47 AM
    Cute trick kind of rude though. FYI all old posts still not happening. I fear the reason you didn't just post a link is because you couldn't find one. If that changes or if someone develops an app for "it" that would be great but at this time I haven't read anything that make me thing its even being worked on.

Edit: By "it" I mean seamless Browser integration of flash if you just want to see videos see the post above mine
    windows phone (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)
    Adobe taking a pass on Flash 10.1 for WinMo 6.5, will go straight to 7 -- Engadget
    Given that both of those articles are from February 2010 and not much if anything has been heard about putting Flash on WP7. I did find these articles though:

Adobe Best on Flash 11to Fend Off HTML5 Invasion:
    "Windows 8 has become the latest tablet operating system to block Flash, through Microsoft's Metro UI. A version of Flash for Windows Phone, meanwhile, is still missing. The problem is Microsoft's browser, Internet Explorer, the PC version of which is now being built for the phone and tablet.
    You can blame Apple's Steve Jobs, who started things by blocking Flash from the iPhone and then the iPad and then began championing HTML5, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Javascript as the future of online programming. Sounding a lot like Jobs, Microsoft's IE chief Dean Hachamovitch blogged on the Metro UI news:
    Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web's history.
    But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI."
    Another Article - HTML5 is the Future of Windows Phone's Browser, So What Does That Mean?
    "the important thing to take away from the move to HTML5 on Windows Phone is that it is a standard being pushed by every major browser maker out there and will continue to improve in features and function as HTML5 becomes a standard by W3C. It might also be worth noting that Microsoft is pushing further toward application development in HTML5 with the next release of the Windows OS (Windows 8). So, in layman’s terms, what this all means is that HTML5 is new nd unfinished, but it’s being widely adopted, so this is the future and so it’s a good thing that Windows Phone is hopping on this train at the beginning instead of waiting until HTML5 is completed and too far ahead to catch up."
    Both of these articles has been written in the last three months. And yes, I googled it, just for you.
    11-01-2011 12:31 PM
    Personally, I'm still waiting for my free pony.

*shakes fist at Microsoft gods in the sky*
    palandri and john_v like this.
    11-01-2011 02:01 PM
    It's real easy to tell who the big fanboys on here are, they see nothing wrong with WP7 and even though I LIKE it I definitely see some things that need to be improved. Yes, the live tiles are probably my biggest gripe about WP7. At first I used to think they were so unique and cool, but now it's just a novelty that hinders the OS.
    11-10-2011 07:32 AM
    Live tiles that display more information than any other OS is a novelty? How would you like it to be?

Phone calls:
    Apple:
    Press home button
    Slide to Unlock
    Press phone icon
    call someone

WP:
    Press lock button
    Unlock screen
    press phone icon
    call someone

Where is the huge discrepancy people have? Only time I can see a difference is if I am on page 12 of my iphone screen of apps, I still have the call icon at the bottom. In WP, if you are at the bottom of your start screen or in the apps list, you will have to press the windows button to get back to the top of the start screen where the phone icon is. 1 extra step. This seems to be 100% a "making a mountain out of a molehill" scenario.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-10-2011 08:12 AM
    It's real easy to tell who the big fanboys on here are, they see nothing wrong with WP7 and even though I LIKE it I definitely see some things that need to be improved. Yes, the live tiles are probably my biggest gripe about WP7. At first I used to think they were so unique and cool, but now it's just a novelty that hinders the OS.
    I agree. Although I like this OS and I think the metro UI is innovative..I am increasingly getting annoyed with how it looks. Tiles that constantly flip-flop, combined with the child like color theme, reminds me of a mobile that hangs over a baby's crib. I set my home screen up a certain way and choose the least kid- friendly color but occasionally these static tiles mysteriously "update" and the color's different or they start flipping. Who thinks this is a good idea? And how did Microsoft decide on such a color theme? I try to keep it as bare bones as possible (dialer, contacts, message, web, and settings) but then I have to scroll through a long unorganized list of apps to find anything else. So..I have a ton of things pinned to my home screen that could easily be stored in organized folders or something like that. What I think would make all the difference in the world is - if the metro UI was on a second home screen, and the first being a screen with normal phone functions.
    11-10-2011 09:21 AM
    I'm not being funny, but it's real easy to tell who are the big trolls on here. Post after post of unsubstantiated claims of complete nonsense whilst completely overlooking the fundamental differences that distinguish the WP over it's competitors.
    justop26, theefman and cckgz4 like this.
    11-10-2011 09:29 AM
    .... And, like clockwork we have the same ole response from his buddy. Folders, customisations - more backward Droidness. Please, it's really boring now.

I agree. Although I like this OS and I think the metro UI is innovative..I am increasingly getting annoyed with how it looks. Tiles that constantly flip-flop, combined with the child like color theme, reminds me of a mobile that hangs over a baby's crib. I set my home screen up a certain way and choose the least kid- friendly color but occasionally these static tiles mysteriously "update" and the color's different or they start flipping. Who thinks this is a good idea? And how did Microsoft decide on such a color theme? I try to keep it as bare bones as possible (dialer, contacts, message, web, and settings) but then I have to scroll through a long unorganized list of apps to find anything else. So..I have a ton of things pinned to my home screen that could easily be stored in organized folders or something like that. What I think would make all the difference in the world is - if the metro UI was on a second home screen, and the first being a screen with normal phone functions.
    *yawn*

Mate, if you haven't worked out how to quickly access apps, either through voice recognition or selecting alphabetically, there is something wrong with you.
    justop26 and cckgz4 like this.
    11-10-2011 09:38 AM
    .... And, like clockwork we have the same ole response from his buddy. Folders, customisations - more backward Droidness. Please, it's really boring now.

*yawn*

Mate, if you haven't worked out how to quickly access apps, either through voice recognition or selecting alphabetically, there is something wrong with you.
    A cool and novel feauture but I'm not gonna talk to my phone in public when I wanna quickly access something. And what color theme are you using..magenta? I said I like this OS, just not certain things like the colors or lack of options. I post my ideas in these forums about what I think could improve this young and far from perfect OS. I feel like we all have something that is still yet a prototype. In the 3 months I had this phone, there has been some major additions and from what I read there are still alot more to come. But you are obviously satisfied with every single thing about this OS and see no room for improvement, and feel a need to put down anyone with a different opinion. The topic of this thread is about simple functions the cp thought would come with the last update. Am I in the wrong forum or something?
    Last edited by jdd77; 11-10-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    11-10-2011 10:52 AM
    I've heard a lot of valid concerns about WP7, but the colors are too kiddy? LOL.
    11-10-2011 10:59 AM
    I'm not being funny, but it's real easy to tell who are the big trolls on here. Post after post of unsubstantiated claims of complete nonsense whilst completely overlooking the fundamental differences that distinguish the WP over it's competitors.
    So far the only trolls I see on here is you and selfcreation.
    11-10-2011 11:00 AM
    I've heard a lot of valid concerns about WP7, but the colors are too kiddy? LOL.
    Being able to change the color theme is definitely an innovative take on "display themes" that you have on basic phones and is unique compared to the other OS's. But it seems like MS got a bunch of kids together to come up with what colors to use...lol
    11-10-2011 11:30 AM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD