I only wanted two things from this Mango update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst. They are ugly, non-customizable, and have no folder support. Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!

I've been using wp7 for almost 3 months now and I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of it. But I wouldn't bash it..I think the metro UI is an innovative idea and definitely different..just in my opinion, not for the better. The color themes, the lack of basic settings, and having EVERYTHING on one screen doesn't work for me. None of the major platforms are perfect but with this OS, you either love or hate it. Its extreme in the way that theres very little in the middle of the spectrum for your average phone user looking for a phone that's a phone. Again, wp7 is innovative but needs to retain some basics and familiarity that every other phone you've ever used has. If the home screen was customizable with wallpaper, showed the time, and had dedicated call icons, and the metro UI was a secondary screen that you swipe to, this phone would blow the competition away...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using wp7 for almost 3 months now and I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of it. But I wouldn't bash it..I think the metro UI is an innovative idea and definitely different..just in my opinion, not for the better. The color themes, the lack of basic settings, and having EVERYTHING on one screen doesn't work for me. None of the major platforms are perfect but with this OS, you either love or hate it. Its extreme in the way that theres very little in the middle of the spectrum for your average phone user looking for a phone that's a phone. Again, wp7 is innovative but needs to retain some basics and familiarity that every other phone you've ever used has. If the home screen was customizable with wallpaper, showed the time, and had dedicated call icons, and the metro UI was a secondary screen that you swipe to, this phone would blow the competition away...

hey , not trying to troll you here lol i just happen to read every thing .. just wanted to clear up some of your complaints/suggestion/worries.

are you just being sarcastic here? or are you for real..

What would be the point of a wallpaper if you cant see it? like wallpaper on Iphone is SOOOOOOOOOOO USELESS, you cant even make out the pic behind all the icons. but if you enjoy seeing 10% of the left side of your wallpaper rock & roll ill respect wanting that... )

showed the time? lol dude are seriously? click the top part of your screen. ( had to restrain myself from laughing to hard here LOL..)

Dedicated CALL ICON? what about the BIG icon with a PHONE on it... LMAO! .

i must be missing something here or you haven’t taken your phone out of the BOX yet! ……

as for METRO UI being a secondery screen ... what would the first one be?

again my attentions are not to attack you , just trying to understand. are you just being sarcastic here? LOL or are you for real..

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, what is it with people who claim to have been using WP7 and then follow up with a post that clearly shows they haven't?!?! *sigh*

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
hey , not trying to troll you here lol i just happen to read every thing .. just wanted to clear up some of your complaints/suggestion/worries.

are you just being sarcastic here? or are you for real..

What would be the point of a wallpaper if you cant see it? like wallpaper on Iphone is SOOOOOOOOOOO USELESS, you cant even make out the pic behind all the icons. but if you enjoy seeing 10% of the left side of your wallpaper rock & roll ill respect wanting that... )

showed the time? lol dude are seriously? click the top part of your screen. ( had to restrain myself from laughing to hard here LOL..)

Dedicated CALL ICON? what about the BIG icon with a PHONE on it... LMAO! .

i must be missed something here or you haven?t taken your phone out of the BOX yet! ??

as for METRO UI being a secondery screen ... what would the first one be?

again my attentions are not to attack you , just trying to understand. are you just being sarcastic here? LOL or are you for real..

What I'm saying is you WOULD see the wallpaper if the metro UI was on a SECOND screen and the phone icon would be a permanent soft key (not an unpinnable tile) on the home screen. And I know you can click the top of the screen to see the time, just stating my preference to have a familiar cell phone experience when you unlock the screen: clock, phone dialer, wallpaper. It would still be unlike any other OS because you would swipe to the metro UI, where you have all the other things. My premise was to explain why you either love it or hate it, and my ideas as to why.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Cute trick kind of rude though. FYI all old posts still not happening. I fear the reason you didn't just post a link is because you couldn't find one. If that changes or if someone develops an app for "it" that would be great but at this time I haven't read anything that make me thing its even being worked on.

Edit: By "it" I mean seamless Browser integration of flash if you just want to see videos see the post above mine
windows phone (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)
Adobe taking a pass on Flash 10.1 for WinMo 6.5, will go straight to 7 -- Engadget

Given that both of those articles are from February 2010 and not much if anything has been heard about putting Flash on WP7. I did find these articles though:

Adobe Best on Flash 11to Fend Off HTML5 Invasion:
"Windows 8 has become the latest tablet operating system to block Flash, through Microsoft's Metro UI. A version of Flash for Windows Phone, meanwhile, is still missing. The problem is Microsoft's browser, Internet Explorer, the PC version of which is now being built for the phone and tablet.
You can blame Apple's Steve Jobs, who started things by blocking Flash from the iPhone and then the iPad and then began championing HTML5, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Javascript as the future of online programming. Sounding a lot like Jobs, Microsoft's IE chief Dean Hachamovitch blogged on the Metro UI news:
Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web's history.
But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI."

Another Article - HTML5 is the Future of Windows Phone's Browser, So What Does That Mean?
"the important thing to take away from the move to HTML5 on Windows Phone is that it is a standard being pushed by every major browser maker out there and will continue to improve in features and function as HTML5 becomes a standard by W3C. It might also be worth noting that Microsoft is pushing further toward application development in HTML5 with the next release of the Windows OS (Windows 8). So, in layman’s terms, what this all means is that HTML5 is new nd unfinished, but it’s being widely adopted, so this is the future and so it’s a good thing that Windows Phone is hopping on this train at the beginning instead of waiting until HTML5 is completed and too far ahead to catch up."

Both of these articles has been written in the last three months. And yes, I googled it, just for you.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It's real easy to tell who the big fanboys on here are, they see nothing wrong with WP7 and even though I LIKE it I definitely see some things that need to be improved. Yes, the live tiles are probably my biggest gripe about WP7. At first I used to think they were so unique and cool, but now it's just a novelty that hinders the OS.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles that display more information than any other OS is a novelty? How would you like it to be?

Phone calls:
Apple:
Press home button
Slide to Unlock
Press phone icon
call someone

WP:
Press lock button
Unlock screen
press phone icon
call someone

Where is the huge discrepancy people have? Only time I can see a difference is if I am on page 12 of my iphone screen of apps, I still have the call icon at the bottom. In WP, if you are at the bottom of your start screen or in the apps list, you will have to press the windows button to get back to the top of the start screen where the phone icon is. 1 extra step. This seems to be 100% a "making a mountain out of a molehill" scenario.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It's real easy to tell who the big fanboys on here are, they see nothing wrong with WP7 and even though I LIKE it I definitely see some things that need to be improved. Yes, the live tiles are probably my biggest gripe about WP7. At first I used to think they were so unique and cool, but now it's just a novelty that hinders the OS.

I agree. Although I like this OS and I think the metro UI is innovative..I am increasingly getting annoyed with how it looks. Tiles that constantly flip-flop, combined with the child like color theme, reminds me of a mobile that hangs over a baby's crib. I set my home screen up a certain way and choose the least kid- friendly color but occasionally these static tiles mysteriously "update" and the color's different or they start flipping. Who thinks this is a good idea? And how did Microsoft decide on such a color theme? I try to keep it as bare bones as possible (dialer, contacts, message, web, and settings) but then I have to scroll through a long unorganized list of apps to find anything else. So..I have a ton of things pinned to my home screen that could easily be stored in organized folders or something like that. What I think would make all the difference in the world is - if the metro UI was on a second home screen, and the first being a screen with normal phone functions.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm not being funny, but it's real easy to tell who are the big trolls on here. Post after post of unsubstantiated claims of complete nonsense whilst completely overlooking the fundamental differences that distinguish the WP over it's competitors.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
.... And, like clockwork we have the same ole response from his buddy. Folders, customisations - more backward Droidness. Please, it's really boring now.

I agree. Although I like this OS and I think the metro UI is innovative..I am increasingly getting annoyed with how it looks. Tiles that constantly flip-flop, combined with the child like color theme, reminds me of a mobile that hangs over a baby's crib. I set my home screen up a certain way and choose the least kid- friendly color but occasionally these static tiles mysteriously "update" and the color's different or they start flipping. Who thinks this is a good idea? And how did Microsoft decide on such a color theme? I try to keep it as bare bones as possible (dialer, contacts, message, web, and settings) but then I have to scroll through a long unorganized list of apps to find anything else. So..I have a ton of things pinned to my home screen that could easily be stored in organized folders or something like that. What I think would make all the difference in the world is - if the metro UI was on a second home screen, and the first being a screen with normal phone functions.

*yawn*

Mate, if you haven't worked out how to quickly access apps, either through voice recognition or selecting alphabetically, there is something wrong with you.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
.... And, like clockwork we have the same ole response from his buddy. Folders, customisations - more backward Droidness. Please, it's really boring now.

*yawn*

Mate, if you haven't worked out how to quickly access apps, either through voice recognition or selecting alphabetically, there is something wrong with you.

A cool and novel feauture but I'm not gonna talk to my phone in public when I wanna quickly access something. And what color theme are you using..magenta? I said I like this OS, just not certain things like the colors or lack of options. I post my ideas in these forums about what I think could improve this young and far from perfect OS. I feel like we all have something that is still yet a prototype. In the 3 months I had this phone, there has been some major additions and from what I read there are still alot more to come. But you are obviously satisfied with every single thing about this OS and see no room for improvement, and feel a need to put down anyone with a different opinion. The topic of this thread is about simple functions the cp thought would come with the last update. Am I in the wrong forum or something?

Last edited:

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not being funny, but it's real easy to tell who are the big trolls on here. Post after post of unsubstantiated claims of complete nonsense whilst completely overlooking the fundamental differences that distinguish the WP over it's competitors.

So far the only trolls I see on here is you and selfcreation.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I've heard a lot of valid concerns about WP7, but the colors are too kiddy? LOL.

Being able to change the color theme is definitely an innovative take on "display themes" that you have on basic phones and is unique compared to the other OS's. But it seems like MS got a bunch of kids together to come up with what colors to use...lol

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Being able to change the color theme is definitely an innovative take on "display themes" that you have on basic phones and is unique compared to the other OS's. But it seems like MS got a bunch of kids together to come up with what colors to use...lol

Only 2 colors are usable for me, since the rest hurt my eyes.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I wish there was yellow.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
A cool and novel feauture but I'm not gonna talk to my phone in public when I wanna quickly access something.

And, the alphabetical order selection?

And what color theme are you using..magenta?

Teal.

I said I like this OS, just not certain things like the colors or lack of options.

So what colours are you missing?

The whole get in/ get out idea contradicts itself in many ways.

This is the first I've heard of it.

I post my ideas in these forums about what I think could improve this young and far from perfect OS.

In your opinion. Further more, an opinion that stands out with 'the minority' as Mango has been positively received by even the harshest of critics.

I feel like we all have something that is still yet a prototype. In the 3 months I had this phone, there has been some major additions and from what I read there are still alot more to come.The topic of this thread is about simple functions the cp thought would come with the last update. Am I in the wrong forum or something?

A prototype? Please. It's this type of nonsense, along with your inability to acknowledge the distinguishing characteristics that separate Windows Phone from the competition that raise an eyebrow. Listen, it's like buying an Aston Martin and complaining about the fact it's not modifiable compared to a Honda Civic. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but after reading numerous posts of yours -get it through your head - it's not an Android... something I couldn't be happier about, BTW. If you're a power user, WP simply isn't for you. It's fundamental selling point is it's simplicity; It. Just. Works.

But you are obviously satisfied with every single thing about this OS and see no room for improvement, and feel a need to put down anyone with a different opinion.

Weak. And, predictable.

So far the only trolls I see on here is you and selfcreation.

Please, take your time to elaborate.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It is truly a shame people base mobile Flash support on their experience from Android devices. Obviously, a plugin is not ideal on a low powered mobile device. While Blackberry has done a lot wrong lately, their implementation of Flash on their Playbook is spectacular. It is baked into the core of their OS, not a plugin. It runs flawlessly, even 1080p video does not stutter at all. It does not kill battery any more than any other type of video streaming.

I honestly dont get why people say they are happy to not have Flash. It is still widely supported on the web. If you dont want it, disable it. Unless you just dont stream video's, why hate it? People throw around security, but honestly most Mobile OS's are limited in what a vulnerability like that can even do. If we get security risks actually written for WP, Android, Blackberry, etc then it would be alot more of an issue. It just makes it sound like you have an agenda, IMO.

Since I have a Playbook with Flash, I dont mind that my phone doesn't support it, but I sure wish it did. (Plan on getting an HTC Titan btw.) Getting used to a mobile device with Flash only makes it that much more annoying to have a device that doesn't support it.

Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077