I only wanted two things from this Mango update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Put it like this, you want to buy a house so you are looking at 3 different types of houses. First is a mobile home: simple, cheap, it just works. The next is a brick house: It's solid, refined, but you won't be modifying it. The last one is a wood house: you can easily expand it or remove sections of the house as you please.

At the end of the day, WP7 is still just a mobile home. It's time for Microsoft to give it the power, refinement, and customization to not just rival competitors but completely dominate them.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Put it like this, you want to buy a house so you are looking at 3 different types of houses. First is a mobile home: simple, cheap, it just works.

A mobile home, you say... lemme see... intuitive? No. Elegant? No. Innovative? No. I'm sorry, but this is a silly analogy.

The next is a brick house: It's solid, refined, but you won't be modifying it.

Although people make 'extensions' and routinely knock down walls in their home, is this Apple?

The last one is a wood house: you can easily expand it or remove sections of the house as you please.

Droid, maybe? Either way, I don't want the Windows Phone to represent a house that suffers from wood rot/wood worm, is a fire risk, and is fragile in times of disasters.

At the end of the day, WP7 is still just a mobile home. It's time for Microsoft to give it the power, refinement, and customization to not just rival competitors but completely dominate them.

The refinement? You're kidding me, right?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
And, the alphabetical order selection?

Teal.

So what colours are you missing?

This is the first I've heard of it.

In your opinion. Further more, an opinion that stands out with 'the minority' as Mango has been positively received by even the harshest of critics.

A prototype? Please. It's this type of nonsense, along with your inability to acknowledge the distinguishing characteristics that separate Windows Phone from the competition that raise an eyebrow. Listen, it's like buying an Aston Martin and complaining about the fact it's not modifiable compared to a Honda Civic. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but after reading numerous posts of yours -get it through your head - it's not an Android... something I couldn't be happier about, BTW. If you're a power user, WP simply isn't for you. It's fundamental selling point is it's simplicity; It. Just. Works.

Weak. And, predictable.

Please, take your time to elaborate.

Missing colors: black, white, grey.. you know, regular neutral colors that don't hurt your eyes.

Alphabetical order selection: it hardly is. For example, various apps that regardless of what they are, are under "M" for "my" or "N" for "new" or "F" for "free". When scrolling through the list you have to remember the full title of the app, not what the app is. One of the ringtone apps I have is not under "R" but, under "F" for "free ringtones". This is very sloppy to me.

Get in/get out idea: contradicts itself because you can't create hubs to put tiles of similar functions in. For example: I gotta scroll around the home screen for various things like notepad, work schedule, settings, flashlight, maps, my verizon, sound recorder..when it would be nice to put them all in a "tools" hub.

Prototype: Definitely. I get the sense of great and intuitive ideas that are not put together in a complete way. It just feels like something's missing or modifiable.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It's real easy to tell who the big fanboys on here are, they see nothing wrong with WP7 and even though I LIKE it I definitely see some things that need to be improved. Yes, the live tiles are probably my biggest gripe about WP7. At first I used to think they were so unique and cool, but now it's just a novelty that hinders the OS.

I think there is definite room for improvement for WP7. I disagree with you thinking that live tiles are just a gimmick. They are the fundamental basis for the WP7 OS. And it appears that even Adobe agrees that having Flash on your phone doesn't make sense, as they announced today they were killing Flash for Mobile.

I agree there should be the ability to customize the color options on the phone. I agree that there are some workarounds that still exist but shouldn't.

And I'm no ****** - I picked up an HTC Trophy the first week they were available from Verizon and returned it two weeks later because the NoDo version on it wouldn't allow for multiple Google calendars. I'm still stuck on my antique BlackBerry waiting for the second gen devices, although my wife has an HTC Trophy now herself.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had seen pictures of grey tiles??? Black tiles would not really work on a dark theme with the black background. White would make the text unreadable.

I guess devs need to just add free or new to the end of their app titles.

Get the app that allows you to make title tiles to help split up your start screen. Not sure what the name of it was. I will just move my most important tiles to where I can get them the easiest.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Missing colors: black

Presumably against a white background. Hurting eyes much?

Considering the text, icons, and background would be forced to black, I can understand why there is no white. It would look hideous, IMO.

Again, not to different.

you know, regular neutral colors that don't hurt your eyes.

Neutral colours don't really work, IMO. You need the primary and secondary colours to stand out from the blacks and whites.

Alphabetical order selection: it hardly is. For example, various apps that regardless of what they are, are under "M" for "my" or "N" for "new" or "F" for "free". When scrolling through the list you have to remember the full title of the app, not what the app is. One of the ringtone apps I have is not under "R" but, under "F" for "free ringtones". This is very sloppy to me.

Being honest, I actually think it would be harder to remember what I've grouped than what it would be to simply recall what an app is called. Also, just flicking through my app list, I don't have one app that has a misleading title.

Get in/get out idea: contradicts itself because you can't create hubs to put tiles of similar functions in. For example: I gotta scroll around the home screen for various things like notepad, work schedule, settings, flashlight, maps, my verizon, sound recorder..when it would be nice to put them all in a "tools" hub.

It's probably because Live Tiles are meant to be live, and on the home page. These apps don't have to be pinned, so instead of searching around the homepage, just swipe to the right, hit "L" and click for "Lists". Job done. Oh, lemme guess... "Free Lists"? LOL

Prototype: Definitely. I get the sense of great and intuitive ideas that are not put together in a complete way. It just feels like something's missing or modifiable.

I also get the impression you guys are definitely missing something. :)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
odd that 2 people posted the same thing at the same time..pretty obvious what people are thinking about you big supes.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
odd that 2 people posted the same thing at the same time..pretty obvious what people are thinking about you big supes.

The same time? Hardly. Coincidental? It wouldn't surprise me at all if, after an ip address check, you both turn out to be the same person; you both take turns in spamming with the other coming into agree with what's been said.

Move along now if you don't wish to counter the points I've raised.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had seen pictures of grey tiles??? Black tiles would not really work on a dark theme with the black background. White would make the text unreadable.

I guess devs need to just add free or new to the end of their app titles.

Get the app that allows you to make title tiles to help split up your start screen. Not sure what the name of it was. I will just move my most important tiles to where I can get them the easiest.

I have that app. Its called "new groups+" .... It is a well made app and I use it. I think a black theme would look cool on a black background. The tiles would dissapear and you'd have just the app pictures. "New groups+" essentially uses this same method. It is basically a tile that matches your background color that allows you to write a title or have symbols on it. When pinned to start, you get the illusion of separate vertical home screens. I have 6 "home screens" of grouped tiles and instead of them being separated by names, I have ?, ??, ??? respectively.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about points. And ever since I got this phone I've been posting questions and comments in these forums, something I've NEVER even considered or cared about doing with any other phone I've ever had. Maybe because I see room for improvement? Maybe I'm intrigued?

I said I wouldn't be surprised, but anyhow... I agree - you don't care about the point as it's quite evident 'the point' goes straight over your head.

And to even come up with something like that because opposing ideas scare and offend you.

Opposing ideas are great, but failing to substantiate them, resorting to mud slinging, is just a weak diversion to which I am ending now.

It sounds like you need to get outta the house once in awhile..

Just who is wasting who's time here? I've already told you that if you don't wish to keep on topic, move the truck ON.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had seen pictures of grey tiles???

You did. It's the special carrier specific color on the Fujitsu IS12T. Looks pretty good actually.
IS12T.jpg

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing more needs to be said about how ridiculous this sounds.

Seriously? Trolls posing as two or more people has been going on for years on internet forums. It's one of the reasons admin cross-reference ip addresses to expose them, banning them. I guess, if you're not a big forum poster, you wouldn't be aware of this so I'll let you (both) off this one. ;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the tile colors are too bright and "kiddy" like, besides green and red. It looks cartoonish. I do like teal though. The all black tiles look awesome, IMO. I used it when I was able to use Accent color.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the tile colors are too bright and "kiddy" like, besides green and red. It looks cartoonish. I do like teal though. The all black tiles look awesome, IMO. I used it when I was able to use Accent color.

I like the all black, if I may ask. How did you do that? I also would have liked to see seperate volume controls.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Pre-mango, there was a sideloading app called Accent Color where you could change the tile color to anything you wanted. It doesn't work anymore. Sadly.
I like the all black, if I may ask. How did you do that? I also would have liked to see seperate volume controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel