Help sway me to a Windows Phone...

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I'm pretty much there but I do have some concerns.

SECURITY - My biggest issue when trying out Android was feeling as though every app posed a huge risk to my data. Constant alerts whenever I installed things, and numerous posts on tech blogs about Android's lousy track record. I know Apple's strict policy on app submissions annoys people, but it's comforting knowing I'm safe. How do Windows Phones compare to all of that?

UPDATES - Again in regards to security, how often are small updates/patches released?

APPS - I don't need an app for groovy mustaches or making fart noises, but I would like to have a half decent selection. What's the Windows app store like? I've heard mixed reviews. Many unique apps? How about big name ones?

Anything else I should know? Any of you ex-iPhone people miss something particular about your old device?

Thanks!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

SECURITY - My biggest issue when trying out Android was feeling as though every app posed a huge risk to my data. Constant alerts whenever I installed things, and numerous posts on tech blogs about Android's lousy track record. I know Apple's strict policy on app submissions annoys people, but it's comforting knowing I'm safe. How do Windows Phones compare to all of that?

Apps run in a sandbox and do not get access to your file system.

Windows Phone 7 Security Implications

UPDATES - Again in regards to security, how often are small updates/patches released?

Two solid updates in less than one year, so pretty good. However patches aren't as frequent as many people would like, or worse, a carrier holds back a patch for unknown reasons (like AT&T holding back the security patch). Fortunately the things that need to be patched also don't severely hamper using your phone. Now the driver debacle with the Dell Venue Pro is a totally different story.

A big plus is that (unlike other devices) ALL Windows Phones get the latest update. Not all devices get updated at the same time. In fact, I think some kinks are still being worked out so the Samsung Focus v1.4 can get Mango. However, rest assured that whatever WP7 you have it will get the latest update.

APPS - I don't need an app for groovy mustaches or making fart noises, but I would like to have a half decent selection. What's the Windows app store like? I've heard mixed reviews. Many unique apps? How about big name ones?

WP7 has 35 thousand apps.
The competition has over 400 thousand.

There are some good apps on WP7 but there's always going to be <insert app> that's missing. At least for the time being.

Anything else I should know? Any of you ex-iPhone people miss something particular about your old device?

Thanks!

New devices are rolling out Nov. 6th for AT&T! The Titan and Focus S are both beasts! Personally I'm waiting to see what Nokia brings to America. IMO, their services/apps greatly outpace the competition.

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Dash! All of that is very reassuring. I have my heart set on the Focus S. I'm eligible for an early upgrade November 21st!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

WP7 is soooo much more secure than Android. Apps run in a sandbox, you can remote locate, lock, or wipe your device from your Windows Live account.

They seem to be released when they are needed. There has been only one patch that was strictly because of security, but there haven't been many security holes found in Windows Phone 7 either. Certainly none the caliber of what Android has to deal with.

I feel the selection is solid. Do we have as many apps as iOS? No. Do we have most of the big name ones that people want and a decent selection of quality exclusive apps? Yes. There are very few apps that people come and ask "Is app XYZ or an equally quality substitute on WP7?" and the answer is no. There is almost always the app they are asking for or one that fills the gap. You can browse the whole app catalouge for yourself here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace
If there is a specific app you are wondering about and can't find, let us know and we may have suggestions.

Thanks!

I'm not technically an ex-iPhone user, but I am an iPad user. I miss having a forward button in the browser, but its not that big of a deal, just go to the "Recent" tab. I miss some of the more specialized apps too. For example, I needed a SPL meter to calibrate my new home theater system (a real component set, not a Home Theater in a Box), and I checked my phone and there were like 3 choices, all with less than stellar reviews and all costing $0.99. Went to the iPad and was able to get a "good enough" free one to get the job done to my satisfaction (though it did struggle with the subwoofer, but I suspect the iPad's mic is to blame). For me, what it boils down to is that iOS offers the best tablet experience right now, so I have an iPad, but Windows Phone 7 offers the best phone experience (for me) so I have an HD7.

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting points jdevenberg. From what I hear, the iPad's days are numbered once Windows 8 tablets take hold... ;-)

I have an iPad too. And the way I see it, if I desperately miss something on iOS, I can always pick up an iPod Touch.

I'm really looking forward to having a new system to work with. iOS is solid, but I am so bored of it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting points jdevenberg. From what I hear, the iPad's days are numbered once Windows 8 tablets take hold... ;-)

I have an iPad too. And the way I see it, if I desperately miss something on iOS, I can always pick up an iPod Touch.

I'm really looking forward to having a new system to work with. iOS is solid, but I am so bored of it.

I think that WP7 is a much better looking OS than iOS (or Android). iOS is boring looking. The iPad is my wife's, I will probably buy a Windows 8 tablet for myself. I use a MacBook right now, because I prefer OS X to Windows 7, but the Metro of Windows 8 could very well be enough to bring me back. I would especially like if the Windows 8 tablets were able to act as a USB Host so you could plug other thing into it, such as a phone or flash drive or SD Card reader.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Try ubuntu =D

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu is great! I used to use it as my main OS, but there were a few programs I needed that wouldn't run on it, so I was forced to OS X or Windows.

Unfortunately/Fortunately I got to stick with Windows for most of my everyday work. Ubuntu is really just for fun, or for coding.

Can't get used to OS X, even the mouse feels different than in Windows...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately/Fortunately I got to stick with Windows for most of my everyday work. Ubuntu is really just for fun, or for coding.

Can't get used to OS X, even the mouse feels different than in Windows...

I couldn't get used to OS X either until I jumped in head first. I was going to buy a new windows laptop, but my wife's basically unused Windows 7 desktop (a nice, fairly expensive unit, not a budget box) has....quirks.... that I didn't want to deal with, so I bought a used '09 MacBook for $550 on ebay

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get used to OS X either until I jumped in head first. I was going to buy a new windows laptop, but my wife's basically unused Windows 7 desktop (a nice, fairly expensive unit, not a budget box) has....quirks.... that I didn't want to deal with, so I bought a used '09 MacBook for $550 on ebay

Quirks? Hardware-wise?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a 3g on iOS 4.2. My phone has been getting slower since I left iOS 3. Also no way to go back which sucks.

I am tired of the grid of app icons and want something fresh. That is he main thing drawing me to wp7. I am not a power user. Basically use my phone as a phone and internet device. Some navigation also. In these aspects I have no need for apple. I also use facebook so having it all in the same place will be nice.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Ex iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 user here. Made the switch a few months back because I was sick of Apple telling me umpteen times when the iPhone 5 was coming out. And then they hornswaggled everyone with the 4S.

At any rate, I love WP. It has a great UI, Metro is awesome and I love the way the phone works. App store is on the rise, and the social integration is killer. Make the jump, you will love it!

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's a nice comparison vid if you want to see how it stacks up against iOS5

iOS5 vs WP7 Mango - Thorough Overview - YouTube
Thanks for that! I'm not sure it had a positive effect on me, but the more I know the better. The social integration is overkill imo, but maybe that's something I can turn off to an extent. Apps being more expensive isn't something I was expecting either. Hmmm...

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ex iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 user here. Made the switch a few months back because I was sick of Apple telling me umpteen times when the iPhone 5 was coming out. And then they hornswaggled everyone with the 4S.

At any rate, I love WP. It has a great UI, Metro is awesome and I love the way the phone works. App store is on the rise, and the social integration is killer. Make the jump, you will love it!
Totally agree with you about the hornswaggling... It's comforting to see a happy convert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte