This is Marketplace??

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Like my WP7, I only had a couple of apps I used regularly on my iPhone and iTouch. The big one I missed was Whatsapp (which we now have) and Skype... which is on the way. Other apps such as calorie counters and fitness apps I managed to find worthy replacements on Zune marketplace.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
To anyone complaining about lack of apps, I recommend the "starvation diet" technique. I used to have an iPhone 4, and could have more or less an app for anything I needed - there's no way round it, the iOS app store is incredibly well stocked with a lot of very high quality apps. But I couldn't justify the cost of owning a ?400 smartphone when I could get one for ?150 that did 95% of the same core job, so I switched to a Palm Pre 2. Nice OS, but didn't like the hardware, which is how I ended up with a WP7 phone in the end as I thought I'd give it a try. And I'm still on the whole very happy with it.

But what my time with the Pre and the dead, dead wilderness of the WebOS marketplace showed me is that when you can't get access to any apps at all you actually realise you don't *need* that many apps at all. Sure, a lot of them are nice, but WP7 has a choice of at least 3 or 4 really good apps in all the key areas bar a few such as Skype, which are coming. If I'd come straight from the iOS app store I'd be thinking "this is poor". But coming via the WebOS marketplace means I can see that really, I'm actually still spoilt for choice.

The one genuinely weak area is still games, but even then it isn't as if there are *no* games, and it looks like Nokia are pushing this too. It's not the length of time since launch that's the issue so much as the growth of the platform - and now WP7 really is the only realistic "third platform" I can only see the breadth and depth of what's on the marketplace growing.

well..like I said at the beginning of this post, I don't bloat up my phone with an app for everything...I go outside alot. My point was, the few simple things I did look for was either poorly designed or not there.. I don't know why you say the games department is weak...Ive found some really creative and well drawn games that are free. No..the games are very good.Im looking for quality over quantity of the apps in the marketplace.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
well..like I said at the beginning of this post, I don't bloat up my phone with an app for everything...I go outside alot. My point was, the few simple things I did look for was either poorly designed or not there.. I don't know why you say the games department is weak...Ive found some really creative and well drawn games that are free. No..the games are very good.Im looking for quality over quantity of the apps in the marketplace.

I'm waiting for the companion apps to get kicked off. I need to get a server set up too. Will be able to use phone to search for and stream movies from server to tv.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I find Plancentic Timesheet V4 useful for work schedules (and it's free). Also Week Calender breaks down your schedule into a simple format.

I couldn't find plancentic timesheet in marketplace but power5 gave me a link and I was able to download it. I can't believe you use this for a work schedule..how? I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it even is!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have like 70-80 apps on my iphone. I use 5 per day. Most just sit there taking up space. Apps is about the only thing critics can complain about with windows phone. Just like fragmentation is one of the only things to complain about with android. Reviewers will continue to harp on these hot topics as long as possible. Even when wp7 gets 400,000 apps and more, they will still have less than iOS so it will still be a valid complaint for the reviewers.
I've been uninstalling apps from my WP7 recently because as it turns out, 99% of the time I'm only using Facebook, Twitter and (sometimes) e-mail. So, whether is 30,000 or 500,000, as long as I can use and have fun with my phone, that's all that matters. Of course, more apps indicate (technically) bigger market share, because that means more developers are reaching a bigger audience. Microsoft just needs to make sure more Windows Phones are getting into people's hands, and the apps will continue to grow, for those that are counting ;-)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
1/4 of my iphone apps are games that have been unplayed for a long long time now. They just sit there. I would like to know more useful apps are coming. Still wondering about video transcoding streaming apps. Right now I use air video to stream my entire movie collection to my iphone over the net and wireless. I do not need to encode the movies to iphone size and format. Its all done on the fly by the server part which is a free program on the PC. The app basically just streams that transcoded video to the phone. Its brilliant and very easy to use.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
1/4 of my iphone apps are games that have been unplayed for a long long time now. They just sit there. I would like to know more useful apps are coming. Still wondering about video transcoding streaming apps. Right now I use air video to stream my entire movie collection to my iphone over the net and wireless. I do not need to encode the movies to iphone size and format. Its all done on the fly by the server part which is a free program on the PC. The app basically just streams that transcoded video to the phone. Its brilliant and very easy to use.

Sounds like Air Video rocks. Hopefully we'll get something like that for WP soon. With all that Xbox integration, you'd think it'd be high on the WP list. I don't know if it's still the case, but when I first got my Focus and uploaded a video from the phone to the PC, the Xbox 360 couldn't play it. Can you believe that? I hope that's not the case now.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Air Video rocks. Hopefully we'll get something like that for WP soon. With all that Xbox integration, you'd think it'd be high on the WP list. I don't know if it's still the case, but when I first got my Focus and uploaded a video from the phone to the PC, the Xbox 360 couldn't play it. Can you believe that? I hope that's not the case now.

Haven't heard of such a thing. Sounds like you don't have the optional media update or something is borked.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...00-77fe-1000-9115-d802fffe07df&token=53oJnpZy

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Haven't heard of such a thing. Sounds like you don't have the optional media update or something is borked.

Optional Media Update - Xbox.com
I replied to your PM about the same thing. The optional media update is the first thing I applied to the Xbox 360 before trying to play the video. I never followed up with it after I posted the question on Microsoft Answers. Not sure if this as a pre-NoDo issue or not. I'll try playing a video this weekend and post again.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Air video does require some PC power on the server end. When transcoding, my CPU utilization is increased on both cores. So, if more than just myself is watching a movie it could over load my PC and cause streaming issues. Just a good excuse for me to finally upgrade to a nice quad or six core for my server.

Looks like there is TVersity for WP but never used it. Sounds like it should be able to do the same thing. Just no way of verifying functionality till they release my damn Titan into the wild.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I replied to your PM about the same thing. The optional media update is the first thing I applied to the Xbox 360 before trying to play the video. I never followed up with it after I posted the question on Microsoft Answers. Not sure if this as a pre-NoDo issue or not. I'll try playing a video this weekend and post again.

PM's are acting screwy for me today. It may have been a NoDo thing unless samsung does something different the phone records videos in MP4 which is what the update adds along with xVid I think. I just watched a video I recorded on my Xbox.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't find plancentic timesheet in marketplace but power5 gave me a link and I was able to download it. I can't believe you use this for a work schedule..how?

It's quite simple really. It's merely a "time sheet" format that features a calender in order to track jobs you've done/will be doing.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it even is!

Tried searching "Plancentic Timesheet For Dummies"??

;)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It's quite simple really. It's merely a "time sheet" format that features a calender in order to track jobs you've done/will be doing.

Tried searching "Plancentic Timesheet For Dummies"??

;)

...Hardy har-frickin-har.
Its a web based time and expense tracking tool for business managers.
How in the world did you devise it to show you a simple work schedule?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
...Hardy har-frickin-har.

Did you mean "hardy-frickin-har"? :p

Its a web based time and expense tracking tool for business managers.
How in the world did you devise it to show you a simple work schedule?

Have you actually downloaded and installed it? The reason I ask is because I don't understand how someone can't see the use for it as a bare bones calender; one (in your case) you can keep separate from the generic calender.

Personally, for business, I have to use a hardback diary. No app can compete against the simplicity and effectiveness. I also use the generic calender for appointments/surveys/fitting jobs and the "Lists" app for things I need to put into my diary at the end of play.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you mean "hardy-frickin-har"? :p

Have you actually downloaded and installed it? The reason I ask is because I don't understand how someone can't see the use for it as a bare bones calender; one (in your case) you can keep separate from the generic calender.

Personally, for business, I have to use a hardback diary. No app can compete against the simplicity and effectiveness. I also use the generic calender for appointments/surveys/fitting jobs and the "Lists" app for things I need to put into my diary at the end of play.

yea...thats what I meant.

You do get a nice display of the calendar month but beyond that I can't see what you are supposed to do..What does "work item:task 1 organization\project A" mean? Then after that is "duration". Then after that you have a box titled "notes". Finally, there's a little box called "billable" that you can check... Are we using the same program?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
yea...thats what I meant.

You do get a nice display of the calendar month but beyond that I can't see what you are supposed to do..What does "work item:task 1 organization\project A" mean? Then after that is "duration". Then after that you have a box titled "notes". Finally, there's a little box called "billable" that you can check... Are we using the same program?

I'm sorry, I thought you simply wanted a calender from the marketplace in order to keep your work schedule separate from the standard OS calender? Plancentric can do this, no?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Its gotta bug. I downloaded it from a link, as its not in marketplace. Maybe that's why. When I put my info in, it boots me outta the program. Oh well...bummer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12