I probably shouldn't do this but...

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm gonna go buy an HTC HD7s today and then just swap it for the Focus S on Sunday. I want out of Android TODAY.

Crazy?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A little crazy, lol. But at least you can get your device setup and your contacts backed up so when you get your Focus S it's an easy upgrade. Personally I'd wait so I wouldn't have to deal with extra paperwork and sales reps, lol.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WELCOME!! :D:D:D:D

i dint exactly do that

but here is my story:

I wanted the FOCUS but it wasn’t out yet....

- so i got the HTC surround for 4 dayz dint like it (telus)
- got the HTC HD7 and then returned it when my FOCUS came out (bell)
- went and got my FOCUS at a different carrier.. (ROGERS)

lol i did all 3 major carriers in my Country in 1 week .. on 3 diffrent WP.. LOL

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
having to go back to the store. and dealing with BIAS/idiot sell`s rep.

Eh, the reps don't bother me. You tell them what you want, and ignore the BS. I'm not an uninformed consumer just looking for "something like an iPhone." I know what I want and I know how the phones work, so save the dual core spiel for some 16 year old getting her first phone. ;) (I'm speaking to a hypothetical sales rep, not you.)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Why do you say that? What's the downside?
I'd say the downside is that you are not only inconveniencing yourself, but inconveniencing others by buying a phone you fully intend NOT to keep. I mean, where does the returned HD7 go? Perhaps it's later sold as refurbished?

I don't blame you for wanting out of Android today (LOL) but what you're doing is not really fair to the carrier. Now, if you were really trying to decide between an HD7 and a Focus S, then that's another story ;-)

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the downside is that you are not only inconveniencing yourself, but inconveniencing others by buying a phone you fully intend NOT to keep. I mean, where does the returned HD7 go? Perhaps it's later sold as refurbished?

I don't blame you for wanting out of Android today (LOL) but what you're doing is not really fair to the carrier. Now, if you were really trying to decide between an HD7 and a Focus S, then that's another story ;-)

Welllll...I am!

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It's people doing this sort of thing that eventually is going to lead to everyone losing the ability do it when it's really needed. Plus, I assure you the cost is passed on to the consumer.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
For the ethically challenged there should be no issue in what you want to do. For those who were raised with moral values we could not do what you are asking. Rationalizing what you want to do by claiming that you want to compare the phones is still a lie. If it lets you sleep at night, go for it. Its not right no matter how you stack it though.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
For the record , BELL have a NO RETURN polocie on touch screen phones.....

thats problem nuber one.

* HINT we take the returns any ways LOL * make sure its MINT condition doh.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
... and if you're, "an informed consumer", then you would probably know what you want before getting the phone which means you won't likely return something that you don't like.

If you're really that informed, you can play with them in the store comparing the differences yourself side-by-side (being already well informed about what those differences are).

OTOH I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I have two phones, an HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7) and an HTC Amaze (Android). Android is fun to play with but productivity is SEVERELY reduced by the inefficient disjointed nature of the beast. It's a resource pig, and totally lacks integration. A jumble of apps lacking a cohering vision.

e.g. someone sends me a text. I read it and need to call them to reply. Can I just tap the contact name at the top of the thread? Nope. I have to go home, go into contacts app, search for the name and tap call (or do about the same after entering the phone app from home). What kind of crap is that? ... I show my droid toting friends stuff like this and they say oh cool! and go back to their ignorant sheepish existence happy with their toys, while I tote a tool. Sure, there's vlingo and voice dial and the like, but it's unusably inaccurate... just another toy. TellMe works a tolerable/usable 90% of the time, and it's only going to get better.

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
For the ethically challenged there should be no issue in what you want to do. For those who were raised with moral values we could not do what you are asking. Rationalizing what you want to do by claiming that you want to compare the phones is still a lie. If it lets you sleep at night, go for it. Its not right no matter how you stack it though.
Also, whenever the inner voice says "I probably shouldn't do this" it usually means that you SHOULDN'T!!!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, whenever the inner voice says "I probably shouldn't do this" it usually means that you SHOULDN'T!!!

you made a mistake in this statement let me fix it for you.

*** Also, whenever the inner voice says "I probably shouldn't do this" it usually means that you SHOULD!!! **

rolf ;)

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

First, let me say I respect where everyone is coming from regardless of opinion. Now I'd like to address this post specifically.

I couldn't disagree with your stance more. There are no ethics or morality involved in scenarios like this. I am not stealing from the manufacturer, I am not getting something extra without cost to myself. I have agreed to honor all terms THEY laid out upon purchase. I don't need to rationalize anything. Corporate policies aren't based on morality but rather cost and expediency. If ATT states I can exchange a phone within a certain time period (at an additional cost of $35 for a "restocking fee"), then taking advantage of that is not duping or gaming anything.

I'm sorry but simply insisting something isn't moral doesn't make it so. Are you at all concerned with the amount of money ATT will charge for the device and services provided? It's far greater than the actual cost to them, you know. Your argument would then be "But you agreed to those prices when you use their service." Absolutely...just like they agree to their own policies when I buy from them, meaning if they tell me I can exchange this phone for a different one within 14 days, I don't see where I'm ethically impaired.

Oh, and I get to pay pro-rated charges for the time the phone's been active. My oh my, I'm just screwing ATT left and right.

P.S. I bought the phone and I actually like it a lot. The build quality on the HD7S is excellent and I'm actually considering forgoing the Focus S altogether. I know it has a faster processor but on this OS I don't know if that will have a huge difference.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I was referring to the inconvenience of having to deal with the exchange et al when I titled this thread. As I stated in my previous post, this isn't a moral quandary for me at all. Cause there ain't no ethics or morality in smartphone exchanges.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
wow seriously? people are Rationalizing this and talking about morals?

LOL!!!

JUST DO IT!! **** worst case! you lose 5 min of your time and 5 min of the REPs time... who cares...

i did it 3 times and they probly wont be the last.......

they get paid by the hour for a reason!!!!(and commission)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss