I probably shouldn't do this but...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
P.S. I bought the phone and I actually like it a lot. The build quality on the HD7S is excellent and I'm actually considering forgoing the Focus S altogether. I know it has a faster processor but on this OS I don't know if that will have a huge difference.

Glad you like your phone.

I wonder if the roles were reversed would you feel the same about your original intentions.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
P.S. I bought the phone and I actually like it a lot. The build quality on the HD7S is excellent and I'm actually considering forgoing the Focus S altogether. I know it has a faster processor but on this OS I don't know if that will have a huge difference.

But don't forget about the faster processor, better camera, and front facing camera. All things that will come in handy during the life of your contract.

Last edited:

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like your phone.

I wonder if the roles were reversed would you feel the same about your original intentions.

You want me to put myself into the shoes of a multibillion dollar corporation that will make thousands of dollars off me for the next few years by allowing me to try two different phones on their network?

I'd love to.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
But don't forget about the faster processor, better camera, and front facing camera. All things that will come in handy during the life of your contract.

The processor and better camera interest me, the FFC not so much. I have yet to utilize a FFC beyond trying it out to see if it's "cool."

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you hit your menu button while in the text on android you can open that persons contact info

... and if you're, "an informed consumer", then you would probably know what you want before getting the phone which means you won't likely return something that you don't like.

If you're really that informed, you can play with them in the store comparing the differences yourself side-by-side (being already well informed about what those differences are).

OTOH I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I have two phones, an HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7) and an HTC Amaze (Android). Android is fun to play with but productivity is SEVERELY reduced by the inefficient disjointed nature of the beast. It's a resource pig, and totally lacks integration. A jumble of apps lacking a cohering vision.

e.g. someone sends me a text. I read it and need to call them to reply. Can I just tap the contact name at the top of the thread? Nope. I have to go home, go into contacts app, search for the name and tap call (or do about the same after entering the phone app from home). What kind of crap is that? ... I show my droid toting friends stuff like this and they say oh cool! and go back to their ignorant sheepish existence happy with their toys, while I tote a tool. Sure, there's vlingo and voice dial and the like, but it's unusably inaccurate... just another toy. TellMe works a tolerable/usable 90% of the time, and it's only going to get better.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm gonna go buy an HTC HD7s today and then just swap it for the Focus S on Sunday. I want out of Android TODAY.

Crazy?

Not crazy! I bought Trophy for full retail - upgrade more than a year away, but wanted out of Android waaay before that. Had to stay w/ VZW due to contract.

I would do it even with the added paperwork of swap in a few days. Either way - today or on the weekend, you will love WP7 phone so much after Android.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You want me to put myself into the shoes of a multibillion dollar corporation that will make thousands of dollars off me for the next few years by allowing me to try two different phones on their network?

I'd love to.

Your original intent was to defraud the company. Not sure how money changes the morality of the situation but it seems to in your opinion.

Had you started the thread by saying, "Should I go grab a HD7 or just wait for the Focus S? I want to determine if I should spend the extra money for the newer model or if I will be able to survive with the 1st gen model." That is what the system is for. Not taking one out for a joy ride because you don't like your old one and cant wait a few more days. They charge you your usage so more people with your ethics do not take advantage of them. Its hard to determine if a phone will fit your lifestyle while standing in the store. That is why they let you take it home and return it if it does not fit your needs.

Take it back when the focus S comes out and determine if you need the added features and speed. Or if you just like the S better. That's what the system is for. Being sure you get the phone you want.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
dude, don't get too defensive, i know where your coming from as i know several people that feels the same way, but then again i do stand on the same side on the moral grounds as others

its actually a consumer law in canada to allow returns so consumers can return things that don't work for them, i've seen a few stores eventually give up and decided to put non-refoundable clause with their sales because of ppl - eg. bought camera, went to vacation, came back, took photos out, returned camera for full refund... this is one of those things that makes a good intention law horrible for the other side (and i couldn't believe it when i saw a lady return a half-empty milk back to costco, zomg @@)

ok, forget what i said above, more of rant then anything

im glad you like your new phone, i'm still playing with my fingers hoping i can save enough to buy one out right soon... my contract won't end until 2013 and im still on winmo6.5 =..= that makes me really sad especially when i try to say good things for wp7 to friends..

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
... and if you're, "an informed consumer", then you would probably know what you want before getting the phone which means you won't likely return something that you don't like.

If you're really that informed, you can play with them in the store comparing the differences yourself side-by-side (being already well informed about what those differences are).

OTOH I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I have two phones, an HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7) and an HTC Amaze (Android). Android is fun to play with but productivity is SEVERELY reduced by the inefficient disjointed nature of the beast. It's a resource pig, and totally lacks integration. A jumble of apps lacking a cohering vision.

e.g. someone sends me a text. I read it and need to call them to reply. Can I just tap the contact name at the top of the thread? Nope. I have to go home, go into contacts app, search for the name and tap call (or do about the same after entering the phone app from home). What kind of crap is that? ... I show my droid toting friends stuff like this and they say oh cool! and go back to their ignorant sheepish existence happy with their toys, while I tote a tool. Sure, there's vlingo and voice dial and the like, but it's unusably inaccurate... just another toy. TellMe works a tolerable/usable 90% of the time, and it's only going to get better.

Not to sound like I'm defending android here on your last paragraph but you actually can call them if you click on there pic it brings up a few options for you. Atleast that's how it was on vanilla android.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
From a sales reps point of view, It takes much more than 3 minutes to exchange out a phone. when we're working with you to exchange the phone we're potentially missing out on a sale that could actually make us money. The 35 restock fee is to deter people from doing that, but the sales rep actually doesn't make any money off of it.

look at it this way... would you be happy if you had to do twice the work to make the same amount of money for a transaction? I don't think so.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Your original intent was to defraud the company. Not sure how money changes the morality of the situation but it seems to in your opinion.

Had you started the thread by saying, "Should I go grab a HD7 or just wait for the Focus S? I want to determine if I should spend the extra money for the newer model or if I will be able to survive with the 1st gen model." That is what the system is for. Not taking one out for a joy ride because you don't like your old one and cant wait a few more days. They charge you your usage so more people with your ethics do not take advantage of them. Its hard to determine if a phone will fit your lifestyle while standing in the store. That is why they let you take it home and return it if it does not fit your needs.

Take it back when the focus S comes out and determine if you need the added features and speed. Or if you just like the S better. That's what the system is for. Being sure you get the phone you want.

You're using terms I don't believe apply. "Defraud the company." HOw completely and utterly silly. There is no moral or ethical quandary here, so if you really need to attach morality to this scenario, I'll let you have at it. Not really interested in debating that part of it, and honestly? I don't care what you believe about my ethics, you have no means of judging. I say that without any hostility incidentally. It's simply fact.

of course money changes the situation. If you're going to assert that in some way a wrong is being done to the company, it would have to be from a financial perspective. Therefore you have to examine whether or not they are suffering a loss as a result of my activity. They most certainly are not, in fact their policy went a ways towards creating a customer, which is precisely why it exists. They've priced their services and products in such a way so as to guarantee a profit regardless of which decision I make.

Sorry, but so far you keep bleating "unethical!" at the whole thing without offering a hint of evidence as to why.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
From a sales reps point of view, It takes much more than 3 minutes to exchange out a phone. when we're working with you to exchange the phone we're potentially missing out on a sale that could actually make us money. The 35 restock fee is to deter people from doing that, but the sales rep actually doesn't make any money off of it.

look at it this way... would you be happy if you had to do twice the work to make the same amount of money for a transaction? I don't think so.

Don't care. It's a job and that's part of it. And a sales rep that is helpful is likely to garner more of my business in the future, for instance the gentleman I worked with yesterday will now sell my wife a new phone as well as friend I steered his way. I'd say he's going to do just fine.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...its actually a consumer law in canada to allow returns so consumers can return things that don't work for them, i've seen a few stores eventually give up and decided to put non-refoundable clause with their sales because of ppl - eg. bought camera, went to vacation, came back, took photos out, returned camera for full refund... this is one of those things that makes a good intention law horrible for the other side (and i couldn't believe it when i saw a lady return a half-empty milk back to costco, zomg @@)...

My wife works retail. I hear her talking all the time about woman that buy an expensive $300 to $400 silk dress, wear it to a special event and then return it. Her company recently signed on with a retail group that track retail refunds at a variety of retail stores. Once they hit a certain return rate, they just cut them off.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't care. It's a job and that's part of it. And a sales rep that is helpful is likely to garner more of my business in the future, for instance the gentleman I worked with yesterday will now sell my wife a new phone as well as friend I steered his way. I'd say he's going to do just fine.

BS. Sorry, but its true. Next time you go in that store, you'll walk up to the first person that's free. You won't have any loyalty to that rep any more than you actually want to compare the Focus S and the HD7s.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
BS. Sorry, but its true. Next time you go in that store, you'll walk up to the first person that's free. You won't have any loyalty to that rep any more than you actually want to compare the Focus S and the HD7s.

Considering I already purchased my wife's phone through him and a friend bought an an Atrix 2, I'll see your "BS" and raise you with "what actually happened."

Make sure to feed and care for your high horse. I imagine its kinda tired. ;)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Considering I already purchased my wife's phone through him and a friend bought an an Atrix 2, I'll see your "BS" and raise you with "what actually happened."

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?! Why did you let him do that to himself?

On the original topic, I bought a Samsung Captivate about a month before WP7 was released...I loved it the 1st day, then realized it really sucked and saw a lot of what people complain about when they rag on Android. I paid the $35 return fee, returned the Captivate and bought a Samsung Focus... To add to the moral debate...the Captivate I had WAS a refund and I still had to pay the fee...I wonder if you could get away with a phone that was sold as a rental (say $20 a month under contract). Nah...it'd have to be closer to $15...as people pay ~$10 ($200/(18 to 24)) for most phones.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You're using terms I don't believe apply. "Defraud the company." HOw completely and utterly silly.
Sorry, but so far you keep bleating "unethical!" at the whole thing without offering a hint of evidence as to why.

DEFRAUD
Definition
de?fraud
[ di fr?wd ]
To hear the pronunciation, install Silverlight
TRANSITIVE VERB
cheat somebody: to deprive somebody of money or property by dishonest means

Was your original intent dishonest?

I am glad you ended up liking your phone though. I will never meet you and will not remember this thread in a couple months. I will just agree to disagree with you about your beliefs.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Was your original intent dishonest?

I am glad you ended up liking your phone though. I will never meet you and will not remember this thread in a couple months. I will just agree to disagree with you about your beliefs.

You realize you just invalidated your entire argument by ignoring that definition you just posted, yes? No money nor property has been cheated from ATT.

And yes, I know that you still inherently disagree, and you're entitled to that. To each his own and all of that. Go Windows! ;)

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?! Why did you let him do that to himself?

Hahaha yeah, well, not only did he make a mistake on that count but he really should have bought an S2. Much better than the Atrix line.

On the original topic, I bought a Samsung Captivate about a month before WP7 was released...I loved it the 1st day, then realized it really sucked and saw a lot of what people complain about when they rag on Android. I paid the $35 return fee, returned the Captivate and bought a Samsung Focus... To add to the moral debate...the Captivate I had WAS a refund and I still had to pay the fee...I wonder if you could get away with a phone that was sold as a rental (say $20 a month under contract). Nah...it'd have to be closer to $15...as people pay ~$10 ($200/(18 to 24)) for most phones.

The carriers have these rules set up to make money *always*. And I don't have a problem with it, I wanna play with their toys, I'll pay their fees.

I think your rental idea is a great one but they wouldn't do it. Contract or GTFO as far as they're concerned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12