A little moan (:

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I had my Windows Live ID set as my google email but I wanted to set up a windows live email to help me keep organised.
Anyway I set it up and decided to change my live ID to my new live email because that made sense.

But noooooooo, WP7 decides you can't change it you have to reset the whole frigin phone just to change my dam windows live id!!!!!

Seriously?

Try searching ways to backup but it was whole backup only so I lost all my settings and app data!!!!
Grrr

They really need to sort that out!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
MS really needs to come up with a way to back these device up so these things aren't so traumatic. Having to reset your device is a security thing so I understand that I wouldn't want someone getting my device and swapping ids that could be bad. I hope we get some type of backup sooner than later this is one of the bigger complaints I see around WP7

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Let me get this straight.

1. You have a gmail account.
2. You used said Gmail account and created a live account.
3. You then added your windows live account on your phone
4. Later you decide to create a live e-mail address (makes sense)
5. Now your live account is you@live.com (Yay)
6. You need to make this change on your phone.
7. Phone won't let you with out resetting phone. hmmmm?

I will have to try this. I have no real need for my live account to be my gmail account. I can do the switch without it affecting me if it doesn't work.

@Big D5 - I don't understand why everyone complaines about backups. All your contacts are synced to your live or gmail or facebook accounts. So they are backed up. All your e-mail is backed up and can be pulled down again. The only thing that isn't backed up is your apps. Which is a non essential thing to backup since a resync to your computer can allow you to reinstall anyways. Not to mention Windowsphone.com has all the apps you bought listed. This allows you to do a remote install. Am I missing something?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I ended up doing the same thing. The new marketplace makes it easy to reinstall your apps, but it sucks to lose the app data, for example, gaming progress, or if you have set up a to-do app, etc. I wish apps had cloud saves to Skydrive.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have only browsed windowsphone.com, but can you install all your "current" apps in one shot. Don't think so. So although they are there, it still sort of sucks when you have to install close to 200 apps/games. No need to waste space and backup the apps, but what about links to the apps, so you could do an app restore with a single click.

And then there are app settings and data. Nothing gets stored in the registry any more so al you need to do is backup the settings/data folder for each app.

I don't look forward to restores although I do have all my apps/links/settings stored in a One Note file, which makes things easier. But after the initial Live login, which works like butter, its another 4-5 hours to reinstall all my apps and then select each music, photo subfolder and video to sync through Zune. So it's not at all fun.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Let me get this straight.

1. You have a gmail account.
2. You used said Gmail account and created a live account.
3. You then added your windows live account on your phone
4. Later you decide to create a live e-mail address (makes sense)
5. Now your live account is you@live.com (Yay)
6. You need to make this change on your phone.
7. Phone won't let you with out resetting phone. hmmmm?

I will have to try this. I have no real need for my live account to be my gmail account. I can do the switch without it affecting me if it doesn't work.

@Big D5 - I don't understand why everyone complaines about backups. All your contacts are synced to your live or gmail or facebook accounts. So they are backed up. All your e-mail is backed up and can be pulled down again. The only thing that isn't backed up is your apps. Which is a non essential thing to backup since a resync to your computer can allow you to reinstall anyways. Not to mention Windowsphone.com has all the apps you bought listed. This allows you to do a remote install. Am I missing something?

What it is brow is mostly game progress and settings. Most people get stressed when they have to reset there device because of this. Its easy to figure out that the big stuff is safe its just a pain to have to input all those settings it usually takes me about an hour to get things back to normal then about a day to set up all the small stuff that I don't use often like Facebook chat. I have given up on games I have started over so many times its not worth it to even try.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain! I just had to do an insurance claim since I left my Surround in my truck on the first night it dropped to 35 here in Texas. (Stupid Texas Weather!!) Now it says it got wet. Now when I get my HD7S as a replacement (WIN!) I have to reinstall all my apps/ games and lose my game saves. Now I'm gonna have to fight through the first 3 worlds of Angry Birds all over again. The Harvest too!

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, the beauty about a smartphone is that all the essential stuff like contacts etc is backed upto the cloud.
Its the settings and app data that needs to be backed up.

@Vecter555
"Which is a non essential thing to backup since a resync to your computer can allow you to reinstall anyways"
That doesn't work, well didn't with me, I think you need to have installed from Zune for them to resync, Zune told me the list of installed apps but said to re-install from within the phone which is a pain.
Maybe if they synced the App data to a encrypted folder and you could use Zune to resync that data back.

Maybe in Apollo eh :)

Oh and SMS messages get lost :/

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
One thing nice about the iPhone is restoring from backup. I know you can put all the apps back from windowsphone.com but it still takes some time.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos