The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-10-2011 05:36 PM
84 ... 234
tools
    $199 is a psychological ceiling. Subsidies are where they burn you.

The only thing "far superior" is the SGX535.
    Not quite sure what you mean by subsidies? It does seem that all the top end phones hover around that $199 w/ contract price for some reason.

Excellent design, yes. Powerful hardware, definitely. Far superior? Not in my eyes.
    How is a dual core with dual core graphics not far superior hardware to what even the titan has? Remember ARM processors can only do one function at a time. So a dual core does in fact basically double the processing power of the single core. Of course the OS needs to be able to take advantage of that tech. Something WP7 does not do yet. CPU and GPU are not the only things the 4S excels in. Has dual antenna which should provide better abilities in theory. Has 1080 recording capabilities.

Hardware is Far superior to anything WP7 Not sure what you are seeing that does not put the iphone at that level.

What iPhone does not have is a fresh approach to phone OS like WP7 has in spades. That and the larger screen size is what is prompting my switch. Its all about user experience in my eyes and that is where WP7 beats iOS for me.
    11-08-2011 04:04 PM
    My wife uses an iPhone 4S, and although I do not like the simplistic OS and I hate iTunes, I cannot deny that the device itself is a premium piece of machinery. So yes, I do believe that, hardware-wise, the 4S is superior to anything that currently runs WP7, at least in the US. The reason that I use Android, and plan to switch to WP7, is the software (and thus the overall user experience).
    11-08-2011 04:29 PM
    Not quite sure what you mean by subsidies? It does seem that all the top end phones hover around that $199 w/ contract price for some reason.

How is a dual core with dual core graphics not far superior hardware to what even the titan has? Remember ARM processors can only do one function at a time. So a dual core does in fact basically double the processing power of the single core. Of course the OS needs to be able to take advantage of that tech. Something WP7 does not do yet. CPU and GPU are not the only things the 4S excels in. Has dual antenna which should provide better abilities in theory. Has 1080 recording capabilities.

Hardware is Far superior to anything WP7 Not sure what you are seeing that does not put the iphone at that level.

What iPhone does not have is a fresh approach to phone OS like WP7 has in spades. That and the larger screen size is what is prompting my switch. Its all about user experience in my eyes and that is where WP7 beats iOS for me.
    Its better, just like android devices with dual cores are technically better. Far superiour would suggest its performance is vastly better than a WP7 device. I dont think there is any evidence to support that. Just being able to record in 1080p is not enough, it will be better by having more detail but a good 720p recording by a WP7 phone will also be good. Same goes for games, the previous ios devices had single cores and were not lacking in graphic intensive games so again the 4s has better hardware but far superior is debatable.
    11-08-2011 04:36 PM
    The money you pay for a phone upfront is meaningless to carriers. Subsidies are the ridiculous amounts of money we pay for data, texting, etc. If you think that $199(or whatever you pay for your phone upfront) is all you're paying for a phone the joke is on you.

You answer your own question here kinda. Software. Show us some real world performance of the iPhone 4s being "far superior". There aren't even benchmarks showing the A4 being "far superior" Is it better? Yes Earth smashing? No. The software and probably other variables are in the way. GPU? The most popular game is Cut the Rope lol. Yeah there is the Battlefield 3 of cell phone graphics. What is there really out there?

*Edit* You can get Windows Phones for between free and very cheap now anyway
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 11-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    11-08-2011 04:53 PM
    He did answer his own question. The parts that make the iPhone are 100% superior than the parts that make any WP7. The convo started off about price over phones, not which one has better battery life or which one passes the ACID test with higher score. Bottom line, the parts that make up the iPHone cost more.
    The money you pay for a phone upfront is meaningless to carriers. Subsidies are the ridiculous amounts of money we pay for data, texting, etc. If you think that $199(or whatever you pay for your phone upfront) is all you're paying for a phone the joke is on you.

You answer your own question here kinda. Software. Show us some real world performance of the iPhone 4s being "far superior". There aren't even benchmarks showing the A4 being "far superior" Is it better? Yes Earth smashing? No. The software and probably other variables are in the way. GPU? The most popular game is Cut the Rope lol. Yeah there is the Battlefield 3 of cell phone graphics. What is there really out there?

*Edit* You can get Windows Phones for between free and very cheap now anyway
    11-08-2011 05:46 PM
    16gb 4S is $199 with contract. Sorry, the Titan is not even close to on par with the 4S. Does not mean I will not still be getting a Titan over a 4S, but it should be cheaper for me to do so. Droid Bionic can be had for $150 on contract.
    I'm not about to argue especially over opinions, but they have the same memory, same camera, and the titan has a bigger screen. In the end its all about preference. Wp7 shouldn't have to slash all its phones done just to get a leg up when they have a radar for 99, the focus and hd7 for 50 along with the flash. Sorry but I don't feel the same way. And the sidelining isn't called for from others. This isn't a competition, at least not for the consumers
    11-08-2011 07:08 PM
    I think it's merely a case of hardware requirements. At this stage, dual-core is unnecessary, but Apollo will very likely change that.
    There are some things you must consider here. Windows Phone has the capability to run virtually anything that has been thrown at it smoothly. The problem of weaker hardware lies in several areas:

- Browser loading times and app loading times. Make no mistake, they are slower than dual-core devices and this is one area which can definitely be improved upon.

- Sloppy developers and bad coding. Why do some apps run slow? Because the developer is too lazy to optimise or write code properly. This can't be helped, so just throw better hardware at it. Seriously.

- Gaming. This shares a lot with the previous point - I think the reason that we don't see crazy 3D titles is because many developers simply don't know how do push out that quality while maintaining performance. The fact that The Harvest remains untouched after a year is troubling.

As for the hardware argument, I do think the manufacturers should have done a little bit more. The upfront cost is literally nothing in comparison to the subsidies obtained through the life of the contract, and wasn't Microsoft halving the production costs of Windows Phones? The Radar should have been $50, the Titan and Focus S $150. The Lumia should be $100.
    11-10-2011 04:53 AM

As for the hardware argument, I do think the manufacturers should have done a little bit more. The upfront cost is literally nothing in comparison to the subsidies obtained through the life of the contract, and wasn't Microsoft halving the production costs of Windows Phones? The Radar should have been $50, the Titan and Focus S $150. The Lumia should be $100.
    They have about cut it half from when it was first released. BOM is still around $220. It will probably be later 2012 before anymore cuts. The biggest reason for the cuts are to get more vendors on board. Not necessarily to pass on to consumers.
    11-10-2011 01:41 PM
    I am, for sure. But I don't think most people care about RAM and number of processors. But people like you and I surely want to know these things.
    I am actually a tech geek.. I build and fix computers for fun and I am a gamer guy.. And I use pro tools on an eyefinity set up at home with a hexacore cpu OC"ed with an aftermarket cooling soution.. just as an example that I kinda know what I am doing.

However I don't need a dual cpu on my phone.. and especially not on WP7.. the OS is clearly very well optimized... Everything is smooth as ice on my Focus S. Yes I paid 149.99 for it and yeah maybe I over paid a little bit if you want to compare it to a High end galaxy nexus 2 or whatever but to me its a beautiful phone that does everything and more.

I came over to wp7 from android and honestly maybe it was just me but I found android to be incredibly buggy.. battery hogging... and hitchy.
    11-10-2011 05:36 PM
84 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD