KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I so desperately want a Windows Phone, but I look around me and I see beastly hardware like the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and then I look at WP7 hardware it makes it look inferior!

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The hardcore hardware will probably not be out until Apollo (mid next year).

But the thing is this: Its the experience. Windows phones are smooth as butter and dont need to have the most super duper processor to run well. In fact, my Focus, with 3 generation old hardware runs better and more fluid than my Atrix.

Now it would be nice for dual core support ect since many games especially will be making splashes with this requirement, but they are coming...just not for another 6-9 months.

But other than some games not making it to the platform due to engine constraints ect, you would never think the hardware was inferior if you didn't see the specs. If you are a huge gamer, iOS is where to be for the moment. If games are not your #1 priority, or just aren't that important, WP is excellent and will only get better.

The UI and overall experience is so much better that I don't mind waiting a little for the platform to mature. You can always get a Windows Phone for the pleasure of use, and have an iPod Touch for a larger selection of games ;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The new WP7 devices should be cheaper IMO. If you not using dual core processors, NFC, large storage, and higher RAM, I don't see how they sell at the same cost.

Last edited:

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The new WP7 devices should be cheaper IMO. If you now using dual core processors, NFC, large storage, and higher RAM, I don't see how they sell at the same cost.

I agree with you here, but on a different front. One way for MS to compete in sales is to under cut the competition. I don't in anyway think the product is inferior but from a consumer standpoint those that are stat-hounds feel like you're paying a premium price for a non premium device. WP7 really doesn't need the super high-end processors and ram to run smoothly. I WOULD, however like to see more storage. With no SD card support, 8 and 16 just isn't enough if you're a media freak like I am. And if a dual-core processor will bring on some better high-end Xbox Live worthy games, then I say bring it soon!

Either way, Cheaper devices is always better for the consumer!

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I so desperately want a Windows Phone, but I look around me and I see beastly hardware like the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and then I look at WP7 hardware it makes it look inferior!

Specs can be important - but I like to try and avoid getting caught up in too much worry over specs. Features like NFC, dual-core, next generation voice recognition ... in some blogs they're talked up as must have features, when in fact many of those features don't matter at all!

I've been an iPhone user for over three years - and I'm preparing to make the switch to WP7 (planning to get the Lumia 800). Will I miss the Front facing camera that my iPhone 4 has? No - Never used it. Will I regret not having the Dual core power of the new iPhone 4S? Probably not. Will I lose sleep over the lack of NFC? mmmmNo.

Cutting edge specs can be appealing - but ask yourself how important they really are. There are plenty of other things that go into a handset besides the hardware .. there's the software too, and it's no surprise to me that when you look at the iPhone 4S for example. the biggest area of innovation hasn't been the handset itself, it's been iOS 5.

Now, take all that into account, and now take a fresh look at WP7. For my money, it stacks up extremely well agains the competition, AND is paired with online services that are far more flexible than anything Apple or Google have to offer.

Some people beleive that your phone says allot about you. If that's true then I think my choice of a WP7 handset will make me stand out from the crowd as being someone who sees beyond specs, or how big an app store is, and has chosen a product that just works better.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, in no way do I think WP7 is a inferior product. It's the best phone OS i've ever used. I don't see why a phone with high end specs would cost the same as a phone that doesn't. Not saying one is better, but from a practical standpoint.
I agree with you here, but on a different front. One way for MS to compete in sales is to under cut the competition. I don't in anyway think the product is inferior but from a consumer standpoint those that are stat-hounds feel like you're paying a premium price for a non premium device. WP7 really doesn't need the super high-end processors and ram to run smoothly. I WOULD, however like to see more storage. With no SD card support, 8 and 16 just isn't enough if you're a media freak like I am. And if a dual-core processor will bring on some better high-end Xbox Live worthy games, then I say bring it soon!

Either way, Cheaper devices is always better for the consumer!

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The new WP7 devices should be cheaper IMO. If you not using dual core processors, NFC, large storage, and higher RAM, I don't see how they sell at the same cost.

I agree, it's ridiculous that they're charging iPhone/Galaxy price for these under-speced Windows Phones. They shouldn't charge more then $100 for the Titan, and $50 for the rest of them. Is it deliberate sabotage on the part of the OEMs I wonder?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it's the carriers. I'm not sure how much they pay OEMS, but I know they don't pay the same for every device. I'm sure they get certain phones cheaper than other, but they don't pass those savings on to the end user.
I agree, it's ridiculous that they're charging iPhone/Galaxy price for these under-speced Windows Phones. They shouldn't charge more then $100 for the Titan, and $50 for the rest of them. Is it deliberate sabotage on the part of the OEMs I wonder?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's the carriers. I'm not sure how much they pay OEMS, but I know they don't pay the same for every device. I'm sure they get certain phones cheaper than other, but they don't pass those savings on to the end user.

The carriers are delusional if they think millions of people are gonna flock to pay $200 for a Windows Phone in their current state. This is suicidal pricing.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am, for sure. But I don't think most people care about RAM and number of processors. But people like you and I surely want to know these things.
The carriers are delusional if they think millions of people are gonna flock to pay $200 for a Windows Phone in their current state. This is suicidal pricing.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100%. Most people will spend $200 on an iPhone instead of a Windows Phone. WP has to compete in price, too.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem I was having today. We are switching to AT&T or Verizon, so I was at a AT&T store today and I was like "Why do I want to pay 200 for a Focus S when I can get the LTE HTC Vivid for the same price or the Skyrocket for $50 more?"

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This is actually why I ended up getting a BB 9900 today at the store instead of the Focus S. I felt the device and it just feels cheap, breakable, while the Blackberry felt premium and refined. That means a lot to me.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Shoulda waited for the Nokia coming in Jan/Feb 3migo, but while I agree that having a good build quality is important, I certainly wouldn't use a completely different platform that I don't enjoy as much just for a better exterior casing.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to let my upgrade sit for another 3 months. I will probably end up buying another phone off contract mid 2012 due to the mass of new devices that will be coming out.

I enjoy BB a lot, because of BBM mainly. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not getting a WP7 device. Once my next upgrade comes up in 2 years, I'm hoping that there will be an abundance of quality Windows devices, and that the software will be updated to perfection.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What I wonder is, if I buy a Titan now, will it be upgradeable to Apollo in mid-2012? Or should I wait?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Im interested in the Radar to be honest, especially after handling it. But just like on other tech forums, people will not always get what they want. While some of you might wish Microsoft had hardware like apple, there are apple people that wish for WP7 hardware. It all flip flops, and there will be more devices to come

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dang. Hard to please some people. Most users have to wait 18 months for an upgrade on a 2 year contract. So a $199 phone works out to 0.36 per day for the pleasure of using a WP. That does not include the $100 you could probably get for it on eBay.

Or another way to look at it. If you think WPs are priced too high, it's 0.18 a day more ($199 vs. $99) for a fast, easy to use, energy efficient OS. That makes WP a bargain IMHO. Actually, I paid $399 for my Surround off contract last November and would do it again in an instant.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes