KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Dang. Hard to please some people. Most users have to wait 18 months for an upgrade on a 2 year contract. So a $199 phone works out to 0.36 per day for the pleasure of using a WP. That does not include the $100 you could probably get for it on eBay.

Or another way to look at it. If you think WPs are priced too high, it's 0.18 a day more ($199 vs. $99) for a fast, easy to use, energy efficient OS. That makes WP a bargain IMHO. Actually, I paid $399 for my Surround off contract last November and would do it again in an instant.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

You are ignoring the $90/month voice/data plan. That smartphone is costing you $98/month including the device.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Price is an important factor. One of the things that's helped Android get to where it is today has been the availability of handsets at a variety of price points.

Microsoft is loosening up on some of its hardware requirements to help allow for price variations in the WP7 handsets. Some might question whether this could lead to fragmentation, or a cheapening of the product, but I think Microsoft are still protecting the core experience... It's still a smartphone.

Time will tell, choice will be a good thing.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It probably has a lesser meaning in the US than it does here in the UK Big Supes.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as you, if that's what you were thinking. :)

If not, then i'll get my coat too. LOL

L

lumic

To be honest, if I could wait I would. I think dual-core hasn't been fully realised, and if Apollo brings the latest ones we should be in for a treat.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It probably has a lesser meaning in the US than it does here in the UK Big Supes.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as you, if that's what you were thinking. :)

Yep, bummed was exactly what I was thinking. :D I was relieved to discover that no one had been...

To be honest, if I could wait I would. I think dual-core hasn't been fully realised, and if Apollo brings the latest ones we should be in for a treat.

I think it's merely a case of hardware requirements. At this stage, dual-core is unnecessary, but Apollo will very likely change that.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I so desperately want a Windows Phone, but I look around me and I see beastly hardware like the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and then I look at WP7 hardware it makes it look inferior!

That's because the OS doesn't need beastly hardware to run. Android uses interpreted Java not a compiled language so it's going to need a high power device.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The only area that genuinely concerns me with WP7 phones being underpowered compared to the newest iPhone and Android handsets is gaming. It's an area where WP7 is already playing catchup, and though in everyday use the OS is slick enough that it makes no difference it's running on single core, slower than the competition processors, it's going to struggle when it comes to pushing lots of polygons and high-res textures around.

I hope Apollo addresses that. But I also hope it doesn't mean there's going to be such a big step up that a lot of current kit is considered legacy and cut loose as happens with a lot of Android handsets.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The new WP7 devices should be cheaper IMO. If you not using dual core processors, NFC, large storage, and higher RAM, I don't see how they sell at the same cost.

I never thought of it that way, but that is a good point. And a little bit ominous for the future. We all know that WP super-phones will eventually come out, and at this rate, they will come out when their Android brethren have long since moved on to quad-core, 64 gig, etc. If this continues, we will still be paying premium prices for outdated specs. One almost has to wonder if that is a deliberate course of action.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Focus Flash is 50 and the Titan matches almost the same specs as the Sensation XL. There are single core android devices still selling for 150-199.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The title of this thread is really quite misleading.

Okay, I'll get my coat. :D

Yep, bummed was exactly what I was thinking. :D I was relieved to discover that no one had been..
So I looked up what "bummed" means in the UK (laughs) but I didn't quite get the "Ok, I'll get my coat" part. Does that mean, "I'll get my coat and head over there" or something?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So is it just the warm and fuzzy feeling from running the latest hardware people want or actual functionality that can only be provided by tri-cores and dylithium crystal power sources? Only seen one comment about achieving better gaming, everyone else just seems to want to keep up with the Jones's. With the OS so optimized for the hardware is anyone really feeling their device lacks performance with the current specs?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
So I looked up what "bummed" means in the UK (laughs) but I didn't quite get the "Ok, I'll get my coat" part. Does that mean, "I'll get my coat and head over there" or something?

Urban Dictionary: I'll get my coat
:)

IIRC, "I'll get my coat" original derives from chatting up a lucky lady. When you crash 'n burn with a bad opening line/joke, you immediately want to get out of the situation so you grab your coat and leave. :D

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
@ aubreyq

It's a line used by someone to make a quick getaway from a stale and awkward moment caused by this particular person. It is a voluntary assertion, to express the person's desire to leave the current location in which they may have just touched on a derogatory subject and it hasn't gone down well.

Basically if you make a full of yourself, you 'get your coat' and leave quickly. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99