aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Urban Dictionary: I'll get my coat
:)

IIRC, "I'll get my coat" original derives from chatting up a lucky lady. When you crash 'n burn with a bad opening line/joke, you immediately want to get out of the situation so you grab your coat and leave. :D

@ aubreyq

It's a line used by someone to make a quick getaway from a stale and awkward moment caused by this particular person. It is a voluntary assertion, to express the person's desire to leave the current location in which they may have just touched on a derogatory subject and it hasn't gone down well.

Basically if you make a full of yourself, you 'get your coat' and leave quickly. :)
I supposed I could have looked up "I'll get my coat" as well, hahaha. Thanks, guys. In the USA, we'd probably say "Well, I'm outta here!"

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
@ aubreyq

It's a line used by someone to make a quick getaway from a stale and awkward moment caused by this particular person. It is a voluntary assertion, to express the person's desire to leave the current location in which they may have just touched on a derogatory subject and it hasn't gone down well.

Basically if you make a full of yourself, you 'get your coat' and leave quickly. :)

ahhh.... so, basically the scenario I was potentially looking at while out on a first date last night... (making a fool out of myself in front of an attractive member of the opposite sex being one of my top skills apparently). :p

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
ahhh.... so, basically the scenario I was potentially looking at while out on a first date last night... (making a fool out of myself in front of an attractive member of the opposite sex being one of my top skills apparently). :p
Ah but i bet you didn't get your coat and leave did you ?

Not quite embarrasing enough situation I don't think wolf1891. (I Hope) ;)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So is it just the warm and fuzzy feeling from running the latest hardware people want or actual functionality that can only be provided by tri-cores and dylithium crystal power sources? Only seen one comment about achieving better gaming, everyone else just seems to want to keep up with the Jones's. With the OS so optimized for the hardware is anyone really feeling their device lacks performance with the current specs?
I stopped caring about specs a long time ago, when I could no longer tell the difference of a faster CPU on my PC ;-)

Same thing with phones. Dual-core means nothing to me in a Windows Phone if I can't tell the difference in responsiveness.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just pop in the codes aubreyq..

: )

: (

: P

There's a happy sad and stick toungue out.

(Remove spaces between the characters)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You must not do much on your computer if you can't tell the difference between a computer with a single core 1Ghz and one with two 2.5Ghz dual cores. Emailing grandma, it doesn't really matter much.
I stopped caring about specs a long time ago, when I could no longer tell the difference of a faster CPU on my PC ;-)

Same thing with phones. Dual-core means nothing to me in a Windows Phone if I can't tell the difference in responsiveness.
And you're missing the OP's point, whether dual core...is needed or not for WP7.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
For most people who just come off the street into a Verizon, or Sprint, or AT&T or T-Mobile store to look at phones, they won't ask if it is dual core or single core, or how much RAM. They will see how it responds and how the screen looks, etc. The salespeople often won't mention it either. I think the limited storage on WP WILL be noticed by many consumers, but the other things just aren't on their radar.

And for the record, I'm already wearing my coat while I type this... just in case.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Dang. Hard to please some people. Most users have to wait 18 months for an upgrade on a 2 year contract. So a $199 phone works out to 0.36 per day for the pleasure of using a WP. That does not include the $100 you could probably get for it on eBay.

Or another way to look at it. If you think WPs are priced too high, it's 0.18 a day more ($199 vs. $99) for a fast, easy to use, energy efficient OS. That makes WP a bargain IMHO. Actually, I paid $399 for my Surround off contract last November and would do it again in an instant.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

You are ignoring the $90/month voice/data plan. That smartphone is costing you $98/month including the device.

The monthly cost will be the same whether they use an iPhone, an Android phone, or a WP7 phone, so it's only the initial outlay that varies. I think he was under the assumption that the monthly costs would be incurred regardless.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah but i bet you didn't get your coat and leave did you ?

Not quite embarrasing enough situation I don't think wolf1891. (I Hope) ;)

heh... nah, I stopped worrying much about looking like a fool years ago. and somehow I managed to get a second date lined up anyways so... maybe she likes fools? :D

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You must not do much on your computer if you can't tell the difference between a computer with a single core 1Ghz and one with two 2.5Ghz dual cores. Emailing grandma, it doesn't really matter much.

And you're missing the OP's point, whether dual core...is needed or not for WP7.

This would be a great if there weren't other factors in play. Anyways, Its just a matter of perspective. Where you see inferior others see a phone that dies in 3 hours. Its definitely an enthusiast market. Everyone is throwing out all these specs and buzzwords for hardware that not much software actually supports yet. I only see dual core really working well on mobile devices (in the short term) if they are under clocked.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
And yet again, you are missing the OP's point. A dual core processor cost more than a single core processor at the same clock speed. NFC chip cost more than not having one, 1 gig of ram cost more than 512 meg of ram. The OP is wondering, why are they both selling at the same price point, if one clearly cost less to make. It has nothing to do with someone thinking WP7 being inferior, or someone thinking Android/iOS is superior.
This would be a great if there weren't other factors in play. Anyways, Its just a matter of perspective. Where you see inferior others see a phone that dies in 3 hours. Its definitely an enthusiast market. Everyone is throwing out all these specs and buzzwords for hardware that not much software actually supports yet. I only see dual core really working well on mobile devices (in the short term) if they are under clocked.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only one that I know of that is selling for 200 are the s and the titan and they are on par with other smartphones in their price ranges.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The hardcore hardware will probably not be out until Apollo (mid next year).

But the thing is this: Its the experience. Windows phones are smooth as butter and dont need to have the most super duper processor to run well. In fact, my Focus, with 3 generation old hardware runs better and more fluid than my Atrix.

Now it would be nice for dual core support ect since many games especially will be making splashes with this requirement, but they are coming...just not for another 6-9 months.

But other than some games not making it to the platform due to engine constraints ect, you would never think the hardware was inferior if you didn't see the specs. If you are a huge gamer, iOS is where to be for the moment. If games are not your #1 priority, or just aren't that important, WP is excellent and will only get better.

The UI and overall experience is so much better that I don't mind waiting a little for the platform to mature. You can always get a Windows Phone for the pleasure of use, and have an iPod Touch for a larger selection of games ;)
The way Android performs has much more to do with hardware than software. Google could make Android run as smooth as WP7 phones on outdated hardware. Devs have already done this. The G1 runs just as smooth as WP7 on some custom ROMs. It has more to do with the way the software is coded.

This is actually why I ended up getting a BB 9900 today at the store instead of the Focus S. I felt the device and it just feels cheap, breakable, while the Blackberry felt premium and refined. That means a lot to me.
Same. I've always stressed this ever since I had a BB Curve.

Samsung makes good devices but the build quality on them sucks. They feel like cheap $2 pieces of plastic that you'd find a toy built out of. I was playing with a friend's Galaxy S the other day and it felt cheap compared to my HTC.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
And yet again, you are missing the OP's point. A dual core processor cost more than a single core processor at the same clock speed. NFC chip cost more than not having one, 1 gig of ram cost more than 512 meg of ram. The OP is wondering, why are they both selling at the same price point, if one clearly cost less to make. It has nothing to do with someone thinking WP7 being inferior, or someone thinking Android/iOS is superior.

Yeah, sure it costs more but barely and who knows what kind of subsidies they are getting from carriers though and I'm sure that factors into their profit margin goals somewhere. Anyways, does anyone actually think this is how it works? Apple builds an iPhone 4 for <200 bucks and sells it for $529

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, sure it costs more but barely and who knows what kind of subsidies they are getting from carriers though and I'm sure that factors into their profit margin goals somewhere. Anyways, does anyone actually think this is how it works? Apple builds an iPhone 4 for <200 bucks and sells it for $529

That's because Apple has parlayed their cash into lower component prices for years. It's an unbelievable competitive advantage they have compared to all other OEMs. Not only they get the same components for much cheaper, but they buy in such massive quantities that it deprives stock to competitors. Thus it drives up the prices for competitors and eliminate their profit margin. Apple virtually monopolizes the profits in mobile because of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6