canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That's because Apple has parlayed their cash into lower component prices for years. It's an unbelievable competitive advantage they have compared to all other OEMs. Not only they get the same components for much cheaper, but they buy in such massive quantities that it deprives stock to competitors. Thus it drives up the prices for competitors and eliminate their profit margin. Apple virtually monopolizes the profits in mobile because of this.

Apparently the BOM for Windows Phone was 400 when first released and is at 220 now. They might actually provide them cheaper to the user but I suspect they are only trying to lower price to get more vendors on board and broaden the selection as well.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd figure the BOM for a new WP7 to be around the 220 - 300 dollar mark. The end user will never see lower prices for high end handsets, no matter what the BOM is.
Apparently the BOM for Windows Phone was 400 when first released and is at 220 now. They might actually provide them cheaper to the user but I suspect they are only trying to lower price to get more vendors on board and broaden the selection as well.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The only one that I know of that is selling for 200 are the s and the titan and they are on par with other smartphones in their price ranges.

16gb 4S is $199 with contract. Sorry, the Titan is not even close to on par with the 4S. Does not mean I will not still be getting a Titan over a 4S, but it should be cheaper for me to do so. Droid Bionic can be had for $150 on contract.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
100% correct. The truth hurts some people though. LOL.
16gb 4S is $199 with contract. Sorry, the Titan is not even close to on par with the 4S. Does not mean I will not still be getting a Titan over a 4S, but it should be cheaper for me to do so. Droid Bionic can be had for $150 on contract.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4S's hardware is far superior to the Titan or anything else that runs WP7. What WP7 phones have going for them is a lack of iTunes, and of course WP7 itself.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 4S's hardware is far superior to the Titan or anything else that runs WP7. What WP7 phones have going for them is a lack of iTunes, and of course WP7 itself.

Oh, I'm an idiot. I thought he was saying the Titan didn't hold a candle to the Focus S.

Nevermind.

</emily>

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have now just finished downloading and installing windows phone SDK 7.1 and Microsoft .NET framework 4 on my pc, which is required before downloading the unlock tool in chevronwp7 labs. Now I have 2 questions..do I run the product now, before downloading the unlock tool in chevron? And which one do I download-the 32 bit tool or the 64?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have now just finished downloading and installing windows phone SDK 7.1 and Microsoft .NET framework 4 on my pc, which is required before downloading the unlock tool in chevronwp7 labs. Now I have 2 questions..do I run the product now, before downloading the unlock tool in chevron? And which one do I download-the 32 bit tool or the 64?
I suggest a new thread, man. This one, with the "bummed" subject, has addressed too many topics, LOL! Just sayin'

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

$199 is a psychological ceiling. Subsidies are where they burn you.

The only thing "far superior" is the SGX535.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

All you need is the latest windows phone support tool and .NET. Which flavor of Windows do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
All you need is the latest windows phone support tool and .NET. Which flavor of Windows do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit

Its 64 bit. Thanks for helping me answer my own question..lol. Now, what's the latest WP support tool? ... Actually, Im just gonna start a thread about this because I obviously have no idea what I'm doing..

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
$199 is a psychological ceiling. Subsidies are where they burn you.

The only thing "far superior" is the SGX535.

Not quite sure what you mean by subsidies? It does seem that all the top end phones hover around that $199 w/ contract price for some reason.

Excellent design, yes. Powerful hardware, definitely. Far superior? Not in my eyes.

How is a dual core with dual core graphics not far superior hardware to what even the titan has? Remember ARM processors can only do one function at a time. So a dual core does in fact basically double the processing power of the single core. Of course the OS needs to be able to take advantage of that tech. Something WP7 does not do yet. CPU and GPU are not the only things the 4S excels in. Has dual antenna which should provide better abilities in theory. Has 1080 recording capabilities.

Hardware is Far superior to anything WP7 Not sure what you are seeing that does not put the iphone at that level.

What iPhone does not have is a fresh approach to phone OS like WP7 has in spades. That and the larger screen size is what is prompting my switch. Its all about user experience in my eyes and that is where WP7 beats iOS for me.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife uses an iPhone 4S, and although I do not like the simplistic OS and I hate iTunes, I cannot deny that the device itself is a premium piece of machinery. So yes, I do believe that, hardware-wise, the 4S is superior to anything that currently runs WP7, at least in the US. The reason that I use Android, and plan to switch to WP7, is the software (and thus the overall user experience).

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by subsidies? It does seem that all the top end phones hover around that $199 w/ contract price for some reason.

How is a dual core with dual core graphics not far superior hardware to what even the titan has? Remember ARM processors can only do one function at a time. So a dual core does in fact basically double the processing power of the single core. Of course the OS needs to be able to take advantage of that tech. Something WP7 does not do yet. CPU and GPU are not the only things the 4S excels in. Has dual antenna which should provide better abilities in theory. Has 1080 recording capabilities.

Hardware is Far superior to anything WP7 Not sure what you are seeing that does not put the iphone at that level.

What iPhone does not have is a fresh approach to phone OS like WP7 has in spades. That and the larger screen size is what is prompting my switch. Its all about user experience in my eyes and that is where WP7 beats iOS for me.

Its better, just like android devices with dual cores are technically better. Far superiour would suggest its performance is vastly better than a WP7 device. I dont think there is any evidence to support that. Just being able to record in 1080p is not enough, it will be better by having more detail but a good 720p recording by a WP7 phone will also be good. Same goes for games, the previous ios devices had single cores and were not lacking in graphic intensive games so again the 4s has better hardware but far superior is debatable.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

The money you pay for a phone upfront is meaningless to carriers. Subsidies are the ridiculous amounts of money we pay for data, texting, etc. If you think that $199(or whatever you pay for your phone upfront) is all you're paying for a phone the joke is on you.

You answer your own question here kinda. Software. Show us some real world performance of the iPhone 4s being "far superior". There aren't even benchmarks showing the A4 being "far superior" Is it better? Yes Earth smashing? No. The software and probably other variables are in the way. GPU? The most popular game is Cut the Rope lol. Yeah there is the Battlefield 3 of cell phone graphics. What is there really out there?

*Edit* You can get Windows Phones for between free and very cheap now anyway

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
He did answer his own question. The parts that make the iPhone are 100% superior than the parts that make any WP7. The convo started off about price over phones, not which one has better battery life or which one passes the ACID test with higher score. Bottom line, the parts that make up the iPHone cost more.
The money you pay for a phone upfront is meaningless to carriers. Subsidies are the ridiculous amounts of money we pay for data, texting, etc. If you think that $199(or whatever you pay for your phone upfront) is all you're paying for a phone the joke is on you.

You answer your own question here kinda. Software. Show us some real world performance of the iPhone 4s being "far superior". There aren't even benchmarks showing the A4 being "far superior" Is it better? Yes Earth smashing? No. The software and probably other variables are in the way. GPU? The most popular game is Cut the Rope lol. Yeah there is the Battlefield 3 of cell phone graphics. What is there really out there?

*Edit* You can get Windows Phones for between free and very cheap now anyway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo