10-19-2012 02:10 PM
48 12
tools
    That's because you would not have received the HTC firmware updates which were meant for Gen1 phones to enable internet sharing.
    The issue we are dealing with here is different than the MAC address problem it seems. Our phones do no have issues connecting to Wifi networks, what they have is a conflict of sorts between the Wifi and 3G which makes the data stop working. Turning off the 3G makes the wifi work and turning of the wifi makes the 3G work...it is pretty odd.
    11-27-2011 09:37 PM
    That's because you would not have received the HTC firmware updates which were meant for Gen1 phones to enable internet sharing.
    Well if you read the first post the TC mentions that he was reading about this issue on the Radar forum. So apparently it IS happening to some people with the Radar. I was just adding that it's not happening to everybody. So apparently what you say here is wrong.
    11-27-2011 09:39 PM
    Yes there seem to be two issues being discussed as you say, one concerning wifi connection problems and another concerning the use of 3g instead of wifi when wifi is available for internet connections.

I'm talking about the wifi MAC address connection issue introduced recently to Gen1 phones by the recent HTC firmware updates.

The Radar is not a Gen1 device so would not have received the recent firmware updates meant for Gen1 devices.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Cheers.
    Last edited by bitslave; 11-27-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    11-27-2011 09:44 PM
    I bought a Radar a month ago and have the same problem. I will be connected to my work's wifi just fine. Then things will slow to a crawl all of the sudden. (I've no strong data access in the building.) I have to log out of my company's router and log back in to fix the problem, until it come again. This is a many times a day occurrence.

A question. I know my phone runs on cellular access because it slows. How are you guys able to tell? When I tap for the status bar it shows "4G" and the wifi symbol, like it always does.
    12-01-2011 12:26 PM
    I bought a Radar a month ago and have the same problem. I will be connected to my work's wifi just fine. Then things will slow to a crawl all of the sudden. (I've no strong data access in the building.) I have to log out of my company's router and log back in to fix the problem, until it come again. This is a many times a day occurrence.

A question. I know my phone runs on cellular access because it slows. How are you guys able to tell? When I tap for the status bar it shows "4G" and the wifi symbol, like it always does.
    By the by, I did use tethering when I got the phone. But haven't since.
    12-01-2011 12:27 PM
    here is how i can tell when it is using my 3G instead of WIFI (even though both are connected).

On my Focus, when the data connection is being used it usually switches from 3G to 3G+, i can see it do this by browsing the Marketplace and frequently clicking at the top of the screen to see the connections.

Using the tethering may have been the culprit, but there is a page on this specifically for Radar's and a couple guys did hard resets and the problem still came back (and I don't think they used the tethering after reseting). Of course, I have done a Hard reset which removed my tethering (since I hacked it on there) and since then my wifi is fine.
    sleeperBot777 likes this.
    12-02-2011 03:15 PM
    There are a few apps that should tell you if you're on WiFi or connected to your carrier's data. NetMonitor, Bandwidth Test & WinPhone Info are some.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    sleeperBot777 likes this.
    12-02-2011 03:23 PM
    I've never seen a "+", even when the wifi is off. I'll give one of those apps a try. Thanks you guys!
    12-02-2011 04:11 PM
    I've never seen a "+", even when the wifi is off. I'll give one of those apps a try. Thanks you guys!
    Sorry, I see you said your phone has a "4G" symbol so that is the equivalent of '3G+'...different networks use different symbols (my brother's LG WP7 uses an 'H' for HSPA). Try what they others have suggested.
    12-02-2011 11:12 PM
    When I did the Interop unlock and Internet Sharing hack on my previous focus, I also ran into the "stalling" issue. I would have both Wi-Fi and 3G connected with strong signals from both, yet couldn't browse a website. Typically cycling the Wi-Fi would fix it. It wasn't a frequent issue, maybe happen once every couple of days.

I did a hard reset of the phone and only dev-unlocked it and didn't see the problem again. I figure it has something to do with the multiple apps and setting changed from interop unlock and enabled internet sharing.
    12-05-2011 01:31 AM
    (I've posted this on my Radar thread but thoght I'd share here as well)

UPDATE: I've sent the phone for warranty repairs and the issue (of course) isn't happening for them. They said it could be my router. I've got an Intellinet router. So I did some searching and someone had a similar problem with a different HTC phone HTC Droid Incredible keeps disconnecting from Wifi

Funnily enough I have just been borrowing a mates HTC Trophy and it seems to be having a similar issue.

I also noticed the problem has been mainly happening when I'm in my bedroom.

So I went on the admin page of my router and noticed it was on Channel 11. It had a function to find the best channel. It shows that Channel 11 and Channel 3 were being used by routers near me (it also highlighted the SID using the channel). I noticed that the strength of that SID is a little stronger in my bedroom so maybe, just maybe that's whats causing the issue. THe router suggested channel 5 so I've changed the channel of the router to 5 and will now see if the problem resolves.

(I have highlighted here mainly the problem with HTC phones but I don't think this necessarily mean it's just HTC. I have a feeling this could occur owith other manufacturers. Still testing though with the new channel and will update if my issue is resolved)
    12-12-2011 07:32 PM
    more of an update (i posted this on Radar forum as well so sorry if you read this twice):

Bought a new router and the issue seems to be completely fixed on the Radar. No more disconnects, but I haven't turned tethering on since my last hard reset so I have no idea if it will happen again if i turn tethering on. not gonna try either.

but to complicate things further, the Radar is my wifes phone and I turned on tethering on my Samsung Omnia 7 for the first time a couple weeks ago and since then my wifi and 3g just randomly stop working and i have to constantly turn 3g on and off or re-connect wifi to get it working again. This without a doubt started once I used tethering for the first time cause i noticed it straight away so with all the stuff I've read about this issue, i'm fairly convinced now turning tethering on will screw something up. how do we report this to MS?

Will be definitely doing a hard reset to try and fix cause this is happening hourly!
    02-01-2012 02:52 AM
    Can everyone who has this problem please report it here

WP7.5 chooses Data connection over Wifi - Microsoft Answers

I really want MS to realise this is a major issue with a lot of people.
    02-01-2012 03:11 AM
    I have it on my HD7 now (free so why not) and I've noticed after using it if I don't reboot my phone my device starts using my slow as molasses 3G connection instead of WiFi even when it's connected to WiFi. Actually did it earlier, and I had to reboot my phone for it to connect properly.
    02-01-2012 03:27 AM
    Just did a hard reset, and my internet connections are working beautifully. such a difference to previously.

I WILL NOT BE TURNING ON TETHERING AGAIN.

Hope MS get a fix for this.
    02-09-2012 08:14 PM
    Well what do you know. Looks like MS do. The link I posted above now shows that MS are aware and coming up with a fix yay!

02-09-2012 08:16 PM
    I have a HTC HD7 and I have the same exact problem. It started happening after I ran the update that included internet sharing. WiFi works for a few minutes, then stops all together. It doesn't switch to 3G for me, my connectivity is just gone. I have to shut off WiFi to use the net again (3G).
    02-13-2012 10:18 AM
    Well someone on the MS thread (on page 10) believes this will be fixed in Tango.

03-13-2012 10:59 PM
    Well, I knew the day would come. I have the Tethering hack enabled on my Samsung Focus, but I had not used it because of the wifi issues that occured after I used it last time (and I had to do a hard reset on the phone to make them go away). However, I was traveling and had to use my tethering, and I did, and sure enough now my wifi occasionally doesn't work even though it is connected.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this that doesn't require a hard Reset?

Thanks!
    03-16-2012 07:49 AM
    I have the same problem on the HTC Titan (I've heard one Titan II owner complain too). I've used IS and I need to turn off data if I don't want it to interfere with my WiFi. I hope the fix comes sooner than later. I also want ADC editing so I can send and receive MMSs with my mobile virtual network operator.
    05-18-2012 05:25 PM
    have the same thing on a hd7 and titan.

Lets hope its fixed in Tango!
    05-18-2012 05:36 PM
    Well, I knew the day would come. I have the Tethering hack enabled on my Samsung Focus, but I had not used it because of the wifi issues that occured after I used it last time (and I had to do a hard reset on the phone to make them go away). However, I was traveling and had to use my tethering, and I did, and sure enough now my wifi occasionally doesn't work even though it is connected.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this that doesn't require a hard Reset?

Thanks!
    There is no solution. Hard Reset or deal with it.

Issue has been there since Mango launched and never fixed. I heard Tango was gonna fix it. Both HTC and T-Mobile said Microsoft is aware of the issue and are trying to fix it.

If you aren't constantly tethering, then just factory reset your phone and move on, IMO, though I know that's a huge pain and I can understand why some people don't want to do it (for example, I still haven't, cause redownloading and resigning into everything is a huge PITA and it causes Zune to create duplicate folders on your PC in your pictures Library).
    05-19-2012 04:43 PM
    I have had the Titan II since May '12 right about when ATT cranked up LTE in the New Orleans area. Everything was working great until I switched to the shared data plan which happens to include internet sharing. Wifi will not work if cell data is on and internet data sputters if it works at all if Wifi is connected. I've tried it with multiple AP's. If Wifi is connected I have to turn off my cell data. When I leave Wifi, I have to remember to turn cell data back on. If I get a group SMS, I have to turn cell data back on and "get media content" then turn it back off... Royal PITA... When something like this happens, it is a huge disappointment. I've had a WP since version 5.... While I am at it, another small complaint. If I am on LTE, getting a GPS fix is almost impossible while if I am on "4G" it works fine.. Other than these two problems, I love everything about my Titan II!
    10-19-2012 02:10 PM
48 12