Internet Sharing Causes Wifi Problems? Plz comment.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Have done a hard reset. No problems for 3 days now which is good because previously problem was happening every day.But I haven't turned wifi tethering on yet. Will monitor for the next week or so and if still no problems I will then turn on wifi tethering and see if that triggers the problem and will report back.

Hi drg,

Any update for us? Have you used the Tethering?

Thanks,
Brad

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you have a HTC device and received the recent firmware updates then it's likely that wifi connection issues are to do with the reported bug where the MAC address changes when a soft or hard reset is performed.

This issue was reported over a week ago and needs HTC to provide a fix via a new firmware update.

Cheers.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
That's because you would not have received the HTC firmware updates which were meant for Gen1 phones to enable internet sharing.

The issue we are dealing with here is different than the MAC address problem it seems. Our phones do no have issues connecting to Wifi networks, what they have is a conflict of sorts between the Wifi and 3G which makes the data stop working. Turning off the 3G makes the wifi work and turning of the wifi makes the 3G work...it is pretty odd.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That's because you would not have received the HTC firmware updates which were meant for Gen1 phones to enable internet sharing.

Well if you read the first post the TC mentions that he was reading about this issue on the Radar forum. So apparently it IS happening to some people with the Radar. I was just adding that it's not happening to everybody. So apparently what you say here is wrong.

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes there seem to be two issues being discussed as you say, one concerning wifi connection problems and another concerning the use of 3g instead of wifi when wifi is available for internet connections.

I'm talking about the wifi MAC address connection issue introduced recently to Gen1 phones by the recent HTC firmware updates.

The Radar is not a Gen1 device so would not have received the recent firmware updates meant for Gen1 devices.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sleeperBot777

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Same problem

I bought a Radar a month ago and have the same problem. I will be connected to my work's wifi just fine. Then things will slow to a crawl all of the sudden. (I've no strong data access in the building.) I have to log out of my company's router and log back in to fix the problem, until it come again. This is a many times a day occurrence.

A question. I know my phone runs on cellular access because it slows. How are you guys able to tell? When I tap for the status bar it shows "4G" and the wifi symbol, like it always does.

sleeperBot777

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Radar a month ago and have the same problem. I will be connected to my work's wifi just fine. Then things will slow to a crawl all of the sudden. (I've no strong data access in the building.) I have to log out of my company's router and log back in to fix the problem, until it come again. This is a many times a day occurrence.

A question. I know my phone runs on cellular access because it slows. How are you guys able to tell? When I tap for the status bar it shows "4G" and the wifi symbol, like it always does.
By the by, I did use tethering when I got the phone. But haven't since.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
here is how i can tell when it is using my 3G instead of WIFI (even though both are connected).

On my Focus, when the data connection is being used it usually switches from 3G to 3G+, i can see it do this by browsing the Marketplace and frequently clicking at the top of the screen to see the connections.

Using the tethering may have been the culprit, but there is a page on this specifically for Radar's and a couple guys did hard resets and the problem still came back (and I don't think they used the tethering after reseting). Of course, I have done a Hard reset which removed my tethering (since I hacked it on there) and since then my wifi is fine.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There are a few apps that should tell you if you're on WiFi or connected to your carrier's data. NetMonitor, Bandwidth Test & WinPhone Info are some.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen a "+", even when the wifi is off. I'll give one of those apps a try. Thanks you guys!

Sorry, I see you said your phone has a "4G" symbol so that is the equivalent of '3G+'...different networks use different symbols (my brother's LG WP7 uses an 'H' for HSPA). Try what they others have suggested.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
When I did the Interop unlock and Internet Sharing hack on my previous focus, I also ran into the "stalling" issue. I would have both Wi-Fi and 3G connected with strong signals from both, yet couldn't browse a website. Typically cycling the Wi-Fi would fix it. It wasn't a frequent issue, maybe happen once every couple of days.

I did a hard reset of the phone and only dev-unlocked it and didn't see the problem again. I figure it has something to do with the multiple apps and setting changed from interop unlock and enabled internet sharing.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
(I've posted this on my Radar thread but thoght I'd share here as well)

UPDATE: I've sent the phone for warranty repairs and the issue (of course) isn't happening for them. They said it could be my router. I've got an Intellinet router. So I did some searching and someone had a similar problem with a different HTC phone HTC Droid Incredible keeps disconnecting from Wifi

Funnily enough I have just been borrowing a mates HTC Trophy and it seems to be having a similar issue.

I also noticed the problem has been mainly happening when I'm in my bedroom.

So I went on the admin page of my router and noticed it was on Channel 11. It had a function to find the best channel. It shows that Channel 11 and Channel 3 were being used by routers near me (it also highlighted the SID using the channel). I noticed that the strength of that SID is a little stronger in my bedroom so maybe, just maybe that's whats causing the issue. THe router suggested channel 5 so I've changed the channel of the router to 5 and will now see if the problem resolves.

(I have highlighted here mainly the problem with HTC phones but I don't think this necessarily mean it's just HTC. I have a feeling this could occur owith other manufacturers. Still testing though with the new channel and will update if my issue is resolved)

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
more of an update (i posted this on Radar forum as well so sorry if you read this twice):

Bought a new router and the issue seems to be completely fixed on the Radar. No more disconnects, but I haven't turned tethering on since my last hard reset so I have no idea if it will happen again if i turn tethering on. not gonna try either.

but to complicate things further, the Radar is my wifes phone and I turned on tethering on my Samsung Omnia 7 for the first time a couple weeks ago and since then my wifi and 3g just randomly stop working and i have to constantly turn 3g on and off or re-connect wifi to get it working again. This without a doubt started once I used tethering for the first time cause i noticed it straight away so with all the stuff I've read about this issue, i'm fairly convinced now turning tethering on will screw something up. how do we report this to MS?

Will be definitely doing a hard reset to try and fix cause this is happening hourly!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have it on my HD7 now (free so why not) and I've noticed after using it if I don't reboot my phone my device starts using my slow as molasses 3G connection instead of WiFi even when it's connected to WiFi. Actually did it earlier, and I had to reboot my phone for it to connect properly.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just did a hard reset, and my internet connections are working beautifully. such a difference to previously.

I WILL NOT BE TURNING ON TETHERING AGAIN.

Hope MS get a fix for this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion