Internet Sharing Causes Wifi Problems? Plz comment.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
In the Radar forum, two members have stated that after using Internet Sharing, their phones have intermitent trouble with WIFI.

The symptoms seem to start after using internet sharing. They include the phone's WIFI ceasing to function even though it still says that it is connected. Alternatively, the phone tries to use 3G/3G+ while connected to WIFI. It seems that shutting of either the 3G or the WIFI will allow the other to start working. Turning the WIFI off and on seems to help too.

I own a brand new Samsung Focus, and I am experiencing these same issues after unlocking and enabling and trying the Internet Sharing (tethering). I am interested to know if others have experienced any wifi/data issues after using internet sharing?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've just tried Internet Sharing a couple of times on my Omnia 7 and can't say i've seen any problems afterwards. (Connected main PC wirelessly to phone)

I'm listening to Last FM via Wi-Fi fine now.

No attempt is being made by the phone to use 3G while connected via Wi-Fi

That's twice i've tried it and it seems to all be working as intended.

Perhaps twice isn't enough to cause any problems but over the last few days i've not had any problems like you describe.

Bear in mind i'm using an Omnia 7, not a Radar or Focus S, it might be specific to these devices but just wanted to share all was well with me, so doesn't seem to be a general WP problem.

Can i turn off Whitney Houston now please ? ;)

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
TheWeeBear,

Thanks for sharing. For the record, I have a Samsung Focus (not "S"). I only ran Internet Sharing once (or twice) to test it.

The problem is a little subtle, and MOST of the time my Wifi runs just fine (mine is working right now). If you ever notice your phone switching to 3G+ (isntead of 3G) while connected to WIFI that is a sign that it isn't using the wifi data. Of course, to see that you have to tap frequently at the top to see the network info. As for the more anoying problem of the data 'stalling' that would be easier to notice. Do me a favor and keep it in mind if you ever notice your internet or data 'hanging' and you are connected to a wifi network and 3G at the same time.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ughhh...it just did it to me again...i might try a full reset but I don't know what that will do to an interop-unlocked phone...or to my tethering hack.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Theweebear,

How did you get tethering? Official update or hack? Also, could it depend on the kind of encryption...what do u use? I have WPA and I think it happened on wep once as well.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Theweebear,

How did you get tethering? Official update or hack? Also, could it depend on the kind of encryption...what do u use? I have WPA and I think it happened on wep once as well.
No it was an official update form Samsung / 3 UK bradleyj. WPA2 here.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes i'll keep trying it now and again, and i was tapping to keep the 3G indicator on just to check LOL.

sorry I didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I am actually a wp7 noob...i look down on no one.

I only mentioned the basic method so others like me might know the signs I noticed and that you need to be a little persistent (I.e tapping constantly) to observe that aspect of the issue. As I said the stalled connection is much more on obvious.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You're not insulting my intelligence at all bradleyj, please dont apologise. I hope we can all get to the bottom of the problem soon and pinpoint what it is. I will try some more tomorrow as i have now retired for the evening as it's now Tuesday here. :)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem as stated in the Radar forum. I'll be hard resetting phone and seeing how wifi goes for a couple days. Then I'll try wifi tethering and see if the problem starts happening.

I've been tweeting the problem with @winphonesupport and they've been responding so I assume are looking into it.

Last edited:

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem as stated in the Radar forum. I'll be hard resetting phone and seeing how wifi goes for a couple days. Then I'll try wifi tethering and see if the problem starts happening.

I've been tweeting the problem with @winphonesupport and they've been responding so I assume are looking into it.

Thanks for testing it like that...please let us know what happens, i might be right behind you.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I just got an update from Rogers/Samsung...I don't know if it enabled internet sharing (since I already had it). But I am hoping something might have changed to my wifi/3g work better together.

I'm going to watch my phone for a bit to see. I don't dare use the tethering until i have to, in case that ruins things again.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm surfing the forums on an iPhone (no service) while connected to my Focus via wifi, trying to recreate the problem, but I don't see it. I'm also browsing w/IE on the Focus w/o any apparent delay. I'm also tracking my wife on gMaps Pro. No apparent wifi deficiency.

Sorry, wish I was more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for checking pseudoware, but the issue isn't when you are actually using Internet Sharing. My Internet sharing works just fine.

The issue is that my phone's data connection stalls or it uses 3G when connected to a Wifi network. Given what others have experienced, it seems to be related to enabling/running internet sharing.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is absolutely a problem with my Samsung Focus after the hack I did from xda. Others on there are reporting the same problems. Good to see [sorry] that the Radar is having this issue too, as it is offically supported.
In the Radar forum, two members have stated that after using Internet Sharing, their phones have intermitent trouble with WIFI.

The symptoms seem to start after using internet sharing. They include the phone's WIFI ceasing to function even though it still says that it is connected. Alternatively, the phone tries to use 3G/3G+ while connected to WIFI. It seems that shutting of either the 3G or the WIFI will allow the other to start working. Turning the WIFI off and on seems to help too.

I own a brand new Samsung Focus, and I am experiencing these same issues after unlocking and enabling and trying the Internet Sharing (tethering). I am interested to know if others have experienced any wifi/data issues after using internet sharing?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, my problem remained after this recent update from Samsung (11/16) and it didn't bring tethering either...so no official solution.

I have reset my phone, i didn't know what it would do but i can see that it is locked again. Anyway, the wifi/3g problem may be resolved, but I'm going to watch it for a while. I'm not sure if i will try unlocking and re-enabling the internet sharing again even though I badly want it.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for checking pseudoware, but the issue isn't when you are actually using Internet Sharing. My Internet sharing works just fine.

The issue is that my phone's data connection stalls or it uses 3G when connected to a Wifi network. Given what others have experienced, it seems to be related to enabling/running internet sharing.

Yes, I understand. I guess I don't even have wifi while internet sharing.

attachment.php

I never really noticed this. I guess I've only needed to enable tethering when there's no wifi available.

Independent of internet sharing, I do experience the "post-Mango 3G favored over wifi" issue. I resort to turning off 3G while at home, which I didn't need to do before.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Have done a hard reset. No problems for 3 days now which is good because previously problem was happening every day.But I haven't turned wifi tethering on yet. Will monitor for the next week or so and if still no problems I will then turn on wifi tethering and see if that triggers the problem and will report back.

Simon the Hippy

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I used tethering a few times whilst away and now that I am back home I am having problems.

Due to tethering I only had 60mb left of my allowance which is now gone due to wifi not working and then switching to 3g.

I noticed in bed as web pages were not loading so did a download test which just stalled.

Changed to 3g and that was fine (4meg)
Swithed 3g off and wireless on (7meg)

Can't seem to work out a pattern but will have test in 2 weeks when i get my data allowance again :)

Omnia 7 Three UK

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb