11-14-2011 10:34 AM
88 1234
tools
    Just thought I'd chime in. I've been on iPhone for 4 years. It's a fantastic os with a lot of apps. Apple makes superb hardware. Overpriced maybe but great nonetheless. With that said I've been in need of a change. I really wanted a 4 inch+ Nokia but with uncertainty on what they'll announce in January/February. I decided to get the Focus S.

I believe the UI, big screen and overall newness will be enough for me. I've fell in love with metro and can't wait to use it. I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan. Streaming Zune and using skydrive will be viable.
    11-08-2011 04:14 PM
    OP: Keep in mind with the ZunePass you don't have to stream the music and kill your data allotment. ZunePass gives you unlimited song downloads for listening to without any reception/connection whatsoever that you keep as long as your subscription is active.

So you can download as much as you want (same bit rate as streaming which is 192kbps) and just sync it directly to your phone.
    Matthew Mazzenga likes this.
    11-08-2011 04:20 PM
    And blow your data requirements out of the water since the average streamed song of Zune pass is about 3.5 mb or so. If you stream for 2 hours that can be over 120mb of data that session just for the music. Let's say you keep a bit of music on your phone so smart dj doesn't stream everything. That's 3-3.5 gb a month of 2 hour a day streaming, well over 2gb so you can not stream for a week in there and still almost cap your plan just with the streaming.

On a 2gb Verizon or AT&T data plan you do the math.

Sprint and tmobile have decent data plans but their coverage isn't as good and with such high etf fees its harder than ever for many people to just up and switch.

Obviously you can mitigate that with wifi but I think the point is clear. Same goes to offloading videos to fb and YouTube to save space. Those are even bigger than music files. High megapixel images downloaded off the web add up quite a bit as well (at around 1mb or so per image).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I have the Vzw unlimited (up to 5gb) plan. But as I said, I don't even have the Zune Pass.
    11-08-2011 04:40 PM
    I guess, it's really a matter of prioritising, at this stage. Personally, I can settle for the crisp OS and user experience over a few videos that I wouldn't mind storing. It's really just a case of working around it until Apollo (more than likely). Once you get on board, you'll probably realise that the sacrifice was worth it. ;)
    Yep, if I want to take some video's with me, they're going on my Zune HD or my HP Touchpad
    11-08-2011 05:37 PM
    And blow your data requirements out of the water since the average streamed song of Zune pass is about 3.5 mb or so. If you stream for 2 hours that can be over 120mb of data that session just for the music. Let's say you keep a bit of music on your phone so smart dj doesn't stream everything. That's 3-3.5 gb a month of 2 hour a day streaming, well over 2gb so you can not stream for a week in there and still almost cap your plan just with the streaming.

On a 2gb Verizon or AT&T data plan you do the math.

Sprint and tmobile have decent data plans but their coverage isn't as good and with such high etf fees its harder than ever for many people to just up and switch.

Obviously you can mitigate that with wifi but I think the point is clear. Same goes to offloading videos to fb and YouTube to save space. Those are even bigger than music files. High megapixel images downloaded off the web add up quite a bit as well (at around 1mb or so per image).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    There is wi-fi too. I mean I don't know why people don't take advantage of that.
    11-08-2011 07:39 PM
    Again this is about what you want in the end, not what we think you should get. Buy what's calling to you. Nothing wrong with that. Wp7 social integration and the lack of apps I need to download to make my phone "essential" works for me. Options is wonderful, but I only use about 10 apps to get through my day, and with bing's new qr code reader and music finder and local scout, that cuts down some of my app usage as well. That's what appealed to me. On ios, while I love the accessories and the ecosystem that apple has, I was tired of opening app after app and scrolling through those icons. I didn't like the inconsistency of android and I really don't care for taking half of my day just to arrange my home screen. Got old fast. This just works, for me
    11-08-2011 07:47 PM
    There is wi-fi too. I mean I don't know why people don't take advantage of that.
    Read the posts you quote please.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    11-08-2011 08:27 PM
    OP: Keep in mind with the ZunePass you don't have to stream the music and kill your data allotment. ZunePass gives you unlimited song downloads for listening to without any reception/connection whatsoever that you keep as long as your subscription is active.

So you can download as much as you want (same bit rate as streaming which is 192kbps) and just sync it directly to your phone.
    Thank you! I've been reading through this thread and wondering why no one was bringing up this fact.
    11-08-2011 09:36 PM
    Read the posts you quote please.

"But the point is clear." I saw that and dismissed it cause I honestly didn't know what you mean by that. Wi-Fi clearly solves problems with small data windows that carriers gives. Most people are in one spot for at least 6 hours a day and in this day and age, the place more than likely has free wi-fi. Or they can download songs and load it on their phone. Not sure if that's what you meant but your spiel before didn't really seem to come to that point
    11-09-2011 12:14 AM
    "But the point is clear." I saw that and dismissed it cause I honestly didn't know what you mean by that. Wi-Fi clearly solves problems with small data windows that carriers gives. Most people are in one spot for at least 6 hours a day and in this day and age, the place more than likely has free wi-fi. Or they can download songs and load it on their phone. Not sure if that's what you meant but your spiel before didn't really seem to come to that point
    Point is if you don't have regular access to wifi 2 hours of zune pass streaming a day can be 3-3.5g of data over a month.

If you have wifi half the time... do the math.

Hats why I said the point is clear.

Even half of that will have most people getting charged for overages on at&t or Verizon with a 2gb data plan.

I see sprint customers racking up 6-8gb if data use in a month due to nsessive streaming (music and video).

11-09-2011 12:24 AM
    I had Rhapsody with my iPhone a few months ago and I streamed my music everytime I was driving, I would stream the music I wanted to listen to. Never went over 2 gb. Once I got to my destination, 9 times out of 10 I didn't listen to music at all or I'd listen to music I've downloaded/purchased or used wi-fi access. It can be done, people just need to take advantage of wi-fi. And I drove around a lot and I need music everytime I'm in the vehicle. Now that I have Zune I can actually download things and load it onto my phone
    11-09-2011 12:48 AM
    I'm not sure what file type and bit rate rhapsody streams. Appear and oranges.

Also depends what else you do on your phone apartment from the streaming.

11-09-2011 01:24 AM
    Rhapsody is 160 kbps. Zune is 190/196 (can't remember which one) kbps. I don't believe that difference should make somebody go over 5 GB. If I'm wrong then I'll admit it, but right now I don't see it especially being that I listen to music all the time
    11-09-2011 01:27 AM
    I think it's worth pointing out that Nokia's music streaming service is also free to Nokia WP's.
    11-09-2011 05:16 AM
    I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I'm happy with WP7 for now because it's a great OS and I have an iPad for the games that I miss from when I had my iPhone and the few apps that there's no WP7 equivalent for. I'm not bothered at all about the look of the OS - for every person who says iOS is just a grid of icons, I can find a person that says WP7 is a grid of simple blocks of colour with a lot of wasted black (or white) space. A friend of mine - who likes WP7 - describes it as "Lego like". Truth is, both points are valid, but also there's lots more to like about both - no design will suit everyone. You just have to look at Android and see how many launchers there are, and how many themes you can get for jailbroken iOS devices, to see how much people like to low-level tinker with phones to make them truly theirs.

I'm currently thinking 6 months or so ahead about what phone I might go for next. I *was* thinking I may upgrade sooner, but the Focus S isn't quite what I'd hoped (the screen being PenTile is a real shame) and the Nokia 800 is just a little too pricey for what it is. So I think if Nokia don't pull out something like the 900 or HTC come out with something a little smaller than the Titan but less "meh" than the Radar, I'll be holding out for the inevitable iPhone 5. In the meantime though, if anyone asks me for advice I'll be steering them one of two ways - iOS or WP7, depending on what suits. Because I genuinely think Android is a step back to the days when computers were fussy and awkward, spec bumps replaced tight programming, cusomizability was used as an excuse for poor, inelegant core design and people had to buy the most powerful thing going just to get something useable.
    Aeon2k, mmaman and threed61 like this.
    11-09-2011 05:33 AM
    I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I'm happy with WP7 for now because it's a great OS and I have an iPad for the games that I miss from when I had my iPhone and the few apps that there's no WP7 equivalent for. I'm not bothered at all about the look of the OS - for every person who says iOS is just a grid of icons, I can find a person that says WP7 is a grid of simple blocks of colour with a lot of wasted black (or white) space. A friend of mine - who likes WP7 - describes it as "Lego like". Truth is, both points are valid, but also there's lots more to like about both - no design will suit everyone. You just have to look at Android and see how many launchers there are, and how many themes you can get for jailbroken iOS devices, to see how much people like to low-level tinker with phones to make them truly theirs.

I'm currently thinking 6 months or so ahead about what phone I might go for next. I *was* thinking I may upgrade sooner, but the Focus S isn't quite what I'd hoped (the screen being PenTile is a real shame) and the Nokia 800 is just a little too pricey for what it is. So I think if Nokia don't pull out something like the 900 or HTC come out with something a little smaller than the Titan but less "meh" than the Radar, I'll be holding out for the inevitable iPhone 5. In the meantime though, if anyone asks me for advice I'll be steering them one of two ways - iOS or WP7, depending on what suits. Because I genuinely think Android is a step back to the days when computers were fussy and awkward, spec bumps replaced tight programming, cusomizability was used as an excuse for poor, inelegant core design and people had to buy the most powerful thing going just to get something useable.
    Agreed. My wife and I just left BB. She got the I-Phone 4S and I got the Radar. She loves it - but I honestly see it as a bit dull. I', happy with the Radar - just need to work out some Outlook questions.
    11-09-2011 06:51 AM
    Point is if you don't have regular access to wifi 2 hours of zune pass streaming a day can be 3-3.5g of data over a month.

If you have wifi half the time... do the math.

Hats why I said the point is clear.

Even half of that will have most people getting charged for overages on at&t or Verizon with a 2gb data plan.

I see sprint customers racking up 6-8gb if data use in a month due to nsessive streaming (music and video).

Again. You can download as much music for offline listening as you want from ZunePass.
    11-09-2011 12:27 PM
    Again. You can download as much music for offline listening as you want from ZunePass.
    That brinfs us back to point one. The terrible storage on the devices. I am a zines pass subscriber with an HD7. I had to buy a 32 GB iTouch to Hold my music due to the low storage.

Personally I don't stream much. I simply buy the music/albums I like unstressed. 320k MP3s are much bigger than the DRMed Zune Pass files, which are approximately half.that bit rate WMAs.

11-09-2011 03:17 PM
    Well now that the Titan's release date has been announced you can wait to check it out before jumping ship to the 4S.
    11-09-2011 04:05 PM
    Grid Central, hunt and peck, hunt and peck LOL!
    Yup, a big bummer on the iPhone, you can't buy an iPhone with a dedicated keyboard!
    Not even the iPad has a dedicated keyboard. Of course, if you don't mind packing around a keyboard, you could allways do the Blue Tooth keyboard route, but gosh darn it, some times lugging the accessories around you just as well bring your laptop with you, rather than lugging all the extras... Kinda like my friend with a laptop that has 5 external hard drives, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, speakers, etc. Sure, it's so darn portable... About as portable as a DEC VAX complete with 15 line-printers, tape backup, and drum hard drives! Save the trouble and get everything you need in the phone to begin with...
    11-09-2011 05:57 PM
    Do any 2nd Gen WP have physical KB? Apple simplifies their forms. One button on mice, one button on phone.
    11-09-2011 06:13 PM
    Do any 2nd Gen WP have physical KB? Apple simplifies their forms. One button on mice, one button on phone.
    None so far, but this is just the first wave of devices.
    11-09-2011 07:54 PM
    Apple simplifies their forms. One button on mice, one button on phone.
    Yep. Even if it means sacrificing functionality.
    11-09-2011 08:00 PM
    One button on mice? That'd be why my Apple mouse has 5 then.

I think you're about 10 years behind here!
    11-10-2011 05:11 AM
    show me this 5 button apple mouse please.
    11-10-2011 09:19 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD