Not ready for WP yet, going for iphone for now.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone for the longest time. Was pretty happy with it. But when I tried out WP7 in a T-Mobile shop last December, I realized this was something groundbreaking. I was expecting something similar to WM 6.5, but was surprised by what I experienced. I made the leap of faith and never looked back.

Would I have been happy with my iPhone if I hadn't discovered WP? Sure. So are millions of others. Nothing wrong with using what works for you. Although I enjoyed the iPhone, I did get kinda tired of Apple's pricing politics (let's be honest, the hardware is overpriced for what it is) and paying for the "image". The iPhone has sort of become a status symbol in many parts.

Well, I could give a rat's *** about status symbols...I just go with what works for me. I'm the only one I have to please. That's the attitude everyone should have. The iPhone worked for me for a long time. Then I discovered that WP worked better for me. Simple as that. That's the way you should think, too. Go with what works for you. Be it an iPhone or WP7.

He's right about Zune. It splits albums even from the Zune marketplace at times and the only way to fix it is with windows media player. He's also right about iTunes and the missing album art. I'm experiencing that in this device right now.

However with ios5 you don't need Zune forbid evinces except to shovel stuff from the pc to the phone. Updates etc. are all ota now.

The iPhone hardware does have a premium feel to it that you don't get with anything except a few nokias and a blackberry bold. Storage is a huge issue on wp. Apps and games are an issue as well.

As far as apple stealing features Microsoft stole social hub from touch wiz and literally all the new mango features for it existed on Samsung phones before wp7. No one cares where the features are from, only that it enhances the usability of the device they own.

Software wise it's mostly preference as to which is you prefer. Hardware wise it's not much of a competition.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you guys! THIS is the attitude I think everyone should have.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Storage capacity is reasonable concern. I would like to store more videos to my HD7, but it's not going to happen. . . for the time being. Regarding the Titan, have you held one yet? I actually think it's more comfortable to hold than my HD7. It's noticeably thinner and feels a lot more comfortable in my pocket (too comfortable as I didn't want to take it back out :D).

As soon as the titan hits ATT im checking out, If I really like it, it may just be my next phone! I just cant get that impression the wp ui left on me out of my head, its brilliant! Combined with the titans awesome hardware its near perfect, just some things here and there with the memory being the most prevalant for me.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
As soon as the titan hits ATT im checking out, If I really like it, it may just be my next phone! I just cant get that impression the wp ui left on me out of my head, its brilliant!

This was the bottom line for me. Sure, there were a couple of apps I missed (which have now arrived at WPMP), but overall, I knew I would have more enjoyment, more like "pleasure" from the WP UI, on a daily basis.

Combined with the titans awesome hardware its near perfect, just some things here and there with the memory being the most prevalant for me.

I guess, it's really a matter of prioritising, at this stage. Personally, I can settle for the crisp OS and user experience over a few videos that I wouldn't mind storing. It's really just a case of working around it until Apollo (more than likely). Once you get on board, you'll probably realise that the sacrifice was worth it. ;)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nothing touches the build quality of any apple product. Laptops are above and beyond any other laptop I have held. Almost every single other laptop is plastic and "squishes" much more when I pick it up by grabbing the palm rest area. The phones have 0 competition in my eyes. I have held a few other phones, none of the newest on the market though.

Besides hating Job's ethical tactics, and somehow legal monopoly tactics, and their gross manipulation of the US patent laws, I do not like itunes. Its painfully slow on my top tier win7 desktop. The syncing BS pisses me off every time I have to sync. "This will erase all content on your phone, are you sure you want to continue?" Uhhh, I am not sure. Backup, now lets try this again. Whew no problems. Why can't I sync to any computer I own when I want? Why only 1?

Those concerns however would not sway my decision to get an iphone unfortunately. Materials are top of the heap. It feels like a $700 device in your hand. 95% of the OS and apps just work the way you would expect them to. I do not use many apps which is why I am not scared to leave iOS. As long as I can find the apps to do what I need, I am good. Media streaming over the net with on the fly transcoding is the number 1 app that I must be able to have. I am not converting 2tb of movies to 800x480 in whatever format windows needs. Just like I did not convert them to ipod size mp4. Most of my movies are in mkv format and 720p.

Last good thing about getting an iphone for another year is that you can sell it for the same price almost. Especially if you unlock it and JB it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Nothing touches the build quality of any apple product. Laptops are above and beyond any other laptop I have held. Almost every single other laptop is plastic and "squishes" much more when I pick it up by grabbing the palm rest area. The phones have 0 competition in my eyes. I have held a few other phones, none of the newest on the market though.

Besides hating Job's ethical tactics, and somehow legal monopoly tactics, and their gross manipulation of the US patent laws, I do not like itunes. Its painfully slow on my top tier win7 desktop. The syncing BS pisses me off every time I have to sync. "This will erase all content on your phone, are you sure you want to continue?" Uhhh, I am not sure. Backup, now lets try this again. Whew no problems. Why can't I sync to any computer I own when I want? Why only 1?

Those concerns however would not sway my decision to get an iphone unfortunately. Materials are top of the heap. It feels like a $700 device in your hand. 95% of the OS and apps just work the way you would expect them to. I do not use many apps which is why I am not scared to leave iOS. As long as I can find the apps to do what I need, I am good. Media streaming over the net with on the fly transcoding is the number 1 app that I must be able to have. I am not converting 2tb of movies to 800x480 in whatever format windows needs. Just like I did not convert them to ipod size mp4. Most of my movies are in mkv format and 720p.

Last good thing about getting an iphone for another year is that you can sell it for the same price almost. Especially if you unlock it and JB it.
Agree on all points.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

I gotta say the Titan looks fantastic build quality wise. I see you say that its your next phone, can you give your thoughts on that? And yes Itunes and its syncing/back ups annoy me to no end!

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
This was the bottom line for me. Sure, there were a couple of apps I missed (which have now arrived at WPMP), but overall, I knew I would have more enjoyment, more like "pleasure" from the WP UI, on a daily basis.

I guess, it's really a matter of prioritising, at this stage. Personally, I can settle for the crisp OS and user experience over a few videos that I wouldn't mind storing. It's really just a case of working around it until Apollo (more than likely). Once you get on board, you'll probably realise that the sacrifice was worth it. ;)
I gotta say that last part you said might be key, once I get it I might realize that the UI is what truly makes it, and I might forget about having 32gb's and what not, especially if I cut down and manage my tracks into playlists.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say that last part you said might be key, once I get it I might realize that the UI is what truly makes it, and I might forget about having 32gb's and what not, especially if I cut down and manage my tracks into playlists.

I'm extremely picky when it comes down to music. I can't have albums that have surplus tracks that I don't listen to stored to the phone. I find the heart concept works wonders in Zune. You simply mark the track you don't like with a cracked heart and set Zune up to eliminate all songs (when synchronising) that you've fallen out of love with; saves space and save constant flicking! :)

Regarding the Titan. I can vouch for the build quality. It feels like a premium piece of kit. I'm interested in getting my hands on a Nokia next!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am tired of zooming in on everything I do on the iPhone internet. Not sure why iphone users claim that the resolution makes the text clear at that size. Yes, its clear. I still can not read it comfortably without zooming in. Until I hold a Titan I will not be able to comment on quality. I have cut a size sample though and I am 100% confident its not TOO big.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bough a iPod Touch 4th gen because I was having iOS withdrawals after trading my iP4. But after about a week with it, I remembered why I traded it for my Focus. The screen is too small and most of the apps I used, were already on my Focus. I do give iOS props for the nice new notification center, but it wasn't enough. I put the iPod Touch up for sale on eBay. The rows of icons layout has seriously seen better days.

Dusk22

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd chime in. I've been on iPhone for 4 years. It's a fantastic os with a lot of apps. Apple makes superb hardware. Overpriced maybe but great nonetheless. With that said I've been in need of a change. I really wanted a 4 inch+ Nokia but with uncertainty on what they'll announce in January/February. I decided to get the Focus S.

I believe the UI, big screen and overall newness will be enough for me. I've fell in love with metro and can't wait to use it. I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan. Streaming Zune and using skydrive will be viable.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
OP: Keep in mind with the ZunePass you don't have to stream the music and kill your data allotment. ZunePass gives you unlimited song downloads for listening to without any reception/connection whatsoever that you keep as long as your subscription is active.

So you can download as much as you want (same bit rate as streaming which is 192kbps) and just sync it directly to your phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
And blow your data requirements out of the water since the average streamed song of Zune pass is about 3.5 mb or so. If you stream for 2 hours that can be over 120mb of data that session just for the music. Let's say you keep a bit of music on your phone so smart dj doesn't stream everything. That's 3-3.5 gb a month of 2 hour a day streaming, well over 2gb so you can not stream for a week in there and still almost cap your plan just with the streaming.

On a 2gb Verizon or AT&T data plan you do the math.

Sprint and tmobile have decent data plans but their coverage isn't as good and with such high etf fees its harder than ever for many people to just up and switch.

Obviously you can mitigate that with wifi but I think the point is clear. Same goes to offloading videos to fb and YouTube to save space. Those are even bigger than music files. High megapixel images downloaded off the web add up quite a bit as well (at around 1mb or so per image).

I have the Vzw unlimited (up to 5gb) plan. But as I said, I don't even have the Zune Pass.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Yep, if I want to take some video's with me, they're going on my Zune HD or my HP Touchpad :shocked:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And blow your data requirements out of the water since the average streamed song of Zune pass is about 3.5 mb or so. If you stream for 2 hours that can be over 120mb of data that session just for the music. Let's say you keep a bit of music on your phone so smart dj doesn't stream everything. That's 3-3.5 gb a month of 2 hour a day streaming, well over 2gb so you can not stream for a week in there and still almost cap your plan just with the streaming.

On a 2gb Verizon or AT&T data plan you do the math.

Sprint and tmobile have decent data plans but their coverage isn't as good and with such high etf fees its harder than ever for many people to just up and switch.

Obviously you can mitigate that with wifi but I think the point is clear. Same goes to offloading videos to fb and YouTube to save space. Those are even bigger than music files. High megapixel images downloaded off the web add up quite a bit as well (at around 1mb or so per image).

There is wi-fi too. I mean I don't know why people don't take advantage of that.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Again this is about what you want in the end, not what we think you should get. Buy what's calling to you. Nothing wrong with that. Wp7 social integration and the lack of apps I need to download to make my phone "essential" works for me. Options is wonderful, but I only use about 10 apps to get through my day, and with bing's new qr code reader and music finder and local scout, that cuts down some of my app usage as well. That's what appealed to me. On ios, while I love the accessories and the ecosystem that apple has, I was tired of opening app after app and scrolling through those icons. I didn't like the inconsistency of android and I really don't care for taking half of my day just to arrange my home screen. Got old fast. This just works, for me

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
OP: Keep in mind with the ZunePass you don't have to stream the music and kill your data allotment. ZunePass gives you unlimited song downloads for listening to without any reception/connection whatsoever that you keep as long as your subscription is active.

So you can download as much as you want (same bit rate as streaming which is 192kbps) and just sync it directly to your phone.

Thank you! I've been reading through this thread and wondering why no one was bringing up this fact.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Read the posts you quote please.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

"But the point is clear." I saw that and dismissed it cause I honestly didn't know what you mean by that. Wi-Fi clearly solves problems with small data windows that carriers gives. Most people are in one spot for at least 6 hours a day and in this day and age, the place more than likely has free wi-fi. Or they can download songs and load it on their phone. Not sure if that's what you meant but your spiel before didn't really seem to come to that point

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
"But the point is clear." I saw that and dismissed it cause I honestly didn't know what you mean by that. Wi-Fi clearly solves problems with small data windows that carriers gives. Most people are in one spot for at least 6 hours a day and in this day and age, the place more than likely has free wi-fi. Or they can download songs and load it on their phone. Not sure if that's what you meant but your spiel before didn't really seem to come to that point

Point is if you don't have regular access to wifi 2 hours of zune pass streaming a day can be 3-3.5g of data over a month.

If you have wifi half the time... do the math.

Hats why I said the point is clear.

Even half of that will have most people getting charged for overages on at&t or Verizon with a 2gb data plan.

I see sprint customers racking up 6-8gb if data use in a month due to nsessive streaming (music and video).

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion