WP: Market a phone, then push the OS?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about how Android didn't get big until the Droid came out with some serious marketing behind it. Then you had other phones come out, including Evo, etc.

Don't you guys think that Microsoft should follow suit? Have a killer, killer phone that the carrier and/or manufacturer would market (e.g. Nokia) to make people fall in love with the phone. Of course the marketing will show the UI with all the goodies, but mainly focus on the rock star phone. At the end they could say, "The Nokia ____, running Windows Phone."

The first WP ads from AT&T and the "Really?" ads were fine, but they didn't push a specific phone hard enough. They would either show 3 phones (Quantum, Surround, Focus...what?) or show a single phone on sale (Focus). Did anyone see an ad that was just about the Focus, for example?

I just think that marketing the OS by itself hasn't worked so well.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

EDIT: I can only speak from a U.S. perspective, btw.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think Nokia has the biggest challenge here. When people in the states think of Nokia, they think of the Nokia theater in L.A.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Oh, I'm sure they'll do somethin' big here as well! But considering their history here in the USA, I think it was a smart move to begin on Europe.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I'm sure they'll do somethin' big here as well! But considering their history here in the USA, I think it was a smart move to begin on Europe.
Oh, definitely. Getting traction in Europe is a great strategy. People still highly regard the Nokia brand so let's get the Europeans onboard. The thing is to make sure they go no holds barred in the US whenever they kick off the marketing campaign.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Another way of saying this is that Windows has no flagship phone.

- The DROID commercials were effective at creating an identity for Android.
- Apple hypes the iPhone as the second coming and the customer lines show it.
- Windows Phone? Nothing.

Windows had no flagship device, meaning: bleeding edge, blow your socks off, make you drool, kind of phone. Until then it will remain faceless and playing catch up in mindshare.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Another way of saying this is that Windows has no flagship phone.

- The DROID commercials were effective at creating an identity for Android.
- Apple hypes the iPhone as the second coming and the customer lines show it.
- Windows Phone? Nothing.

Windows had no flagship device, meaning: bleeding edge, blow your socks off, make you drool, kind of phone. Until then it will remain faceless and playing catch up in mindshare.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Exactly right. I agree with the OP that that MS needs a flagship device like the "mythical" Nokia Ace to show as the standard bearer of the WP7 phones and let the "lesser" WP7 devices ride on its coattails. That's exactly what Android did with the original Droid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb