11-19-2011 04:21 PM
49 12
tools
    Was browsing the Net just now and spotted something interesting on my Twitter feed and clicked it. Quite concise and sums up everything quite easily.

Just thought that I'd share this out with everyone.

Windows Phone 8 – Apollo : Predictions Aveynes
    11-08-2011 05:37 PM
    Am I the only one that does NOT want this bullcrap NFC stuff?
    11-08-2011 07:49 PM
    The goal for it is to replace blue tooth too
    11-08-2011 08:11 PM
    nope. you are not alone...
    11-08-2011 08:12 PM
    If you don't register a credit card with it, I don't think it's any different than bluetooth.
    11-08-2011 09:23 PM
    The goal for it is to replace blue tooth too
    Exactly. I don't even think about the credit card aspect of it at all. Much more potential than, the google point of purchase aspect of NFC.
    11-08-2011 09:29 PM
    My feelings on NFC are the same as my feelings on dual-core processors. I don't care about having them, but anything that helps the platform to be seen at the same level as iOS or Android is a good thing in my book.
    11-08-2011 09:53 PM
    11-08-2011 10:19 PM
    NFC will be used to provide credit card security as well
    11-08-2011 10:56 PM
    Titan is now the only WP with FFC. Bummer, I guess I must have seen one of a kind Samsungs this past weekend.
    11-08-2011 11:39 PM
    I want a Windows Phone 8 with 320+ ppi SAMOLED, NFC, FFC, dual-core, 1GB RAM, 128GB storage and angels.
    11-08-2011 11:45 PM
    ^ that ... and have it delivered to me by unicorns
    jsfranke likes this.
    11-09-2011 01:44 AM
    I want a Windows Phone 8 with 320+ ppi SAMOLED, NFC, FFC, dual-core, 1GB RAM, 128GB storage and angels.
    Lol SAMOLED and 128GB storage is a bit too much to ask for. 320+ pip, NFC, FFC, dual-core are all doable. 1GB RAM - not sure if this is necessary, since everyone else is still under as well.
    11-09-2011 02:29 AM
    Titan is now the only WP with FFC. Bummer, I guess I must have seen one of a kind Samsungs this past weekend.
    Don't hate, just take a look at their tagline:
    QUALITY ANALYSIS ATTEMPTED

Lol SAMOLED and 128GB storage is a bit too much to ask for. 320+ pip, NFC, FFC, dual-core are all doable. 1GB RAM - not sure if this is necessary, since everyone else is still under as well.
    If a gig of ram is enough to make Microsoft keep more than 5-6 programs in memory, I'll take it.
    11-09-2011 02:37 AM
    That site is just one persons predictions from just surfing the web. None of that info is from MS directly. I really doubt MS is going to wait till wp8 to have video messaging. His tagline is reversed. Should be "quality analysis not attempted, just mindless drivel". apple 4S has an A5 chip, same one from ipad2. How do you mess up apple tech reporting? Its on just about every tech website on the internet.
    11-09-2011 08:25 AM
    Microsoft doesn't even officially acknowledge Apollo exists - the name has simply propogated from rumour and hearsay. How credible those sources are depends on your point of view!

The site linked in the OP seems to just rattle off a wishlist of features that might or might not be delivered over the next 12 months. Many of them are not essential right now, but some of them may become important over time as smartphone technology progresses and these features begin to take hold on the dominant platforms.
    11-09-2011 10:02 AM
    Microsoft doesn't even officially acknowledge Apollo exists - the name has simply propogated from rumour and hearsay. How credible those sources are depends on your point of view!

The site linked in the OP seems to just rattle off a wishlist of features that might or might not be delivered over the next 12 months. Many of them are not essential right now, but some of them may become important over time as smartphone technology progresses and these features begin to take hold on the dominant platforms.
    can't tell if serious. I hope not. Apollo was confirmed as the codename at a MSDN seminar in like July or August
    11-09-2011 10:59 AM
    That site is just one persons predictions from just surfing the web. None of that info is from MS directly. I really doubt MS is going to wait till wp8 to have video messaging. His tagline is reversed. Should be "quality analysis not attempted, just mindless drivel". apple 4S has an A5 chip, same one from ipad2. How do you mess up apple tech reporting? Its on just about every tech website on the internet.
    People are rather critical on the Internet, actually. It's probably an oversight anyways. I've checked just now and somehow it's been corrected.

About the WP8 and video messaging (Presumably Skype) - Tango has said to be a minor update like No-Do, so it's quite likely that video messaging will be lumped together with the next major update, 'Apollo' instead.

Even if video messaging debuts, it'd be rather useless at this stage, as (correct me if I'm wrong, but) the HTC Titan is the only camera with a front facing camera right now. Unless you are planning to video conference with the phone flipped backwards to you, which would result in a very bad user experience, as you would not be able to see the other person due to the flipped phone, it's quite likely that video messaging will debut at the same time when the other Windows Phones get FCC en masse.
    11-09-2011 01:52 PM
    Focus S and Flash have FFC. Titan will. Radar does. Only Nokia has dropped the ball on FFC. Also, the other people I know do have skype and FFC on their platforms and I would hope that my "people centric" phone would allow me to communicate with them in this way.
    11-09-2011 02:57 PM
    Focus S and Flash have FFC. Titan will. Radar does. Only Nokia has dropped the ball on FFC. Also, the other people I know do have skype and FFC on their platforms and I would hope that my "people centric" phone would allow me to communicate with them in this way.
    Quite odd that the 'flagship device', or at least the flagship device maker, or the 'first Windows phone' had this the FFC omitted then.
    11-09-2011 03:18 PM
    Not sure why Nokia pulled the FFC. N9 which the lumia 800 is a copy of, has a FFC.
    11-09-2011 03:39 PM
    Not sure why Nokia pulled the FFC. N9 which the lumia 800 is a copy of, has a FFC.
    It's probably a last-minute decision (since it was on the N9), either due to driver or the fact that (because they are in a close relationship with Microsoft) Skype / video messaging will not launch in the near future until Apollo with it's suite of devices, thus did this as a cost-cutting measure to be more competitive with the iPhone 4S in terms of price.
    11-09-2011 04:48 PM
    Not sure how much a FFC 1.3mp VGA camera costs but with the disparity of other hardware between the 800 and 4S, I think they could have included it.
    11-09-2011 06:07 PM
    Sometimes I wonder why I post here lol
    11-09-2011 10:14 PM
    Not sure how much a FFC 1.3mp VGA camera costs but with the disparity of other hardware between the 800 and 4S, I think they could have included it.
    cost of implementing FFC x number of units sold (say 200K units) makes a huge savings....auto companies have been doing this for a long time (cigarette lighters as an option). the fact is, competition is getting extremely tough and margins are getting tight. Nokia must have counted on many users who don't see lack of FFC a big deal, who instead will take the build quality and reliability as a positive.

personally, I consider FFC as must have feature.
    11-10-2011 02:11 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD