Bye Bye Adobe Flash

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this isn't much of a kill-joy. Most of the videos I attempt to watch on my Focus work. Even on a bad day I'm Batting 300. I guess it'll suck for tablet users but I've never liked the idea of a tablet anyway. Just not for me.

From my Focus via Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
About time. Kudos to both Apple and Microsoft for sticking to their guns and helping bang the nails into the coffin of mobile flash - a lousy solution to a problem that didn't even need to exist.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Flash loyalists better stock up on some old Android devices because soon that's the only place you'll see flash.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol soon as in 10 years from now. Non Android phones better find the two html5 web pages that are actually worth visiting.
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, flash was awesome up till 5-10 years ago. People loved it. Designers loved what they could do with websites. I would say way over 80% of web sites use flash. In the end just about every web site has flash adds. It is an awesome tool for doing interactive websites. Now that something new has been developed its suddenly a resource hog pile of junk that should have never been used???? I am pretty sure just about everyone has a dual or quad core in their computers so I think some resources are free. A little more support from developers and adobe could have easily made it better for the mobile market. I guess not many people remember the internet before flash. It was pretty boring.

No reason not to move on but I always hate the backlash on existing tech making it out to be the devil incarnate.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, flash was awesome up till 5-10 years ago. People loved it. Designers loved what they could do with websites. I would say way over 80% of web sites use flash. In the end just about every web site has flash adds. It is an awesome tool for doing interactive websites. Now that something new has been developed its suddenly a resource hog pile of junk that should have never been used???? I am pretty sure just about everyone has a dual or quad core in their computers so I think some resources are free. A little more support from developers and adobe could have easily made it better for the mobile market. I guess not many people remember the internet before flash. It was pretty boring.

No reason not to move on but I always hate the backlash on existing tech making it out to be the devil incarnate.

Technology moved ahead, got lighter, faster, more secure and more efficient. Adobe didn't keep up. That's the reason for the backlash. I'm more worried about the 750 people at Adobe that will lose their job. However, that's the price you pay when you become complacent.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The mobile revolution has only been happening for 4 years. Go ask microsoft how long they have been working on windows phone. Way more than 4 years I would bet. Adobe is just a bit behind just like WP. They are catching up though, and its just too bad they did not get to finish I guess.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't really have a dog in this race, as this isn't the sort of thing that I tend to get worked up about, but.... I think it's interesting how basically no one cared about HTML5 until the big browser makers decided to insist that we all love it and Flash sucks. I suspect this has as much to do with browser marketshare as anything else.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Adobe was really under a lot of pressure because of the mobile market boom. Bottom line is they had a hard time getting Flash to NOT use up a lot of battery and resources.

Let's not even bring up the security vulnerabilities that come along with Flash, eh?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, I've had the iPhone 4 since, still have an iPad, and have a WP7 phone. I can count the number of sites I've had problems with because of flash in all that time on the fingers of one hand. If there wasn't an app for it, or a mobile optimised version of their site, I went elsewhere - business lost because of a reliance on a clunky software engine.

As D5 said, no big loss.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The mobile revolution has only been happening for 4 years. Go ask microsoft how long they have been working on windows phone. Way more than 4 years I would bet. Adobe is just a bit behind just like WP. They are catching up though, and its just too bad they did not get to finish I guess.

While Microsoft has been in the mobile market for a long long time, WP7 is less than four years old. WP7 was still in the early stages right before the original KIN hit the market. Including development time, I would guess WP7 took MS no more than 3 years. But that's besides the point.

Adobe isn't just a bit behind. The problem with Flash is that it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. In fact, if we were to make a comparison, I'd say Flash is more like WinMo than WP7. Microsoft (rightfully) decided to put WinMo to rest because WinMo is too archaic for today's computing needs. MS was, at best, only applying patches to WinMo instead of fixing it. That is exactly what Adobe is currently doing with Flash. Everything Adobe does is only making Flash slightly better but still keeping it from being a true competitor in the mobile market. It's time for them to try a new approach before the HTML5 conversion is complete.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Adobe Says Flash Is Dead for Mobile Devices...

Adobe confirms Flash Player is dead for mobile devices -- Engadget

"We heard the talk and now here's the confirmation: Flash Player for mobile devices is officially dead. Adobe is reaffirming its commitment to "aggressively contribute" to HTML5, a platform with broader support and capabilities than Flash was ever able to deliver. Adobe will of course also be pushing developers to work in its AIR platform for a more native experience, and the company will continue to work on Flash Player for desktop operating systems, but one can't help but see the platform as a whole standing on fairly shaky footing at this point. "

Ive complained about not having Flash since moving from Android to WP7 so this seems as good news really in the long run. I think more sites or at least mobile sites will soon or eventually have HTML5, which WP7 can support!

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
HTML5 terminated Flash for mobile platforms

Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. HTML5 isn't even projected to be complete until like 2022. Flash is much more powerful than the current subset and we will see it run side by side for some time.

Unfortunately Flash is officially dead for mobile platforms now.

Engadget said:
We heard the talk and now here's the confirmation: Flash Player for mobile devices is officially dead. Adobe is reaffirming its commitment to "aggressively contribute" to HTML5, a platform with broader support and capabilities than Flash was ever able to deliver. Adobe will of course also be pushing developers to work in its AIR platform for a more native experience, and the company will continue to work on Flash Player for desktop operating systems, but one can't help but see the platform as a whole standing on fairly shaky footing at this point.

Source: Developers (Adobe Featured Blogs)

Guess it's good that M$ didn't waste time and money to make mobile IE9 Flash-compatible.

=P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo