Checked out AT&T and T-Mob stores today...

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
For some unknown reason, I was feeling like I wanted to be extra-productive today. I also realized that my contract on my Imagio ends in 18 days, so I decided to do some research around my town (Waco, Tx) for my next phone. I started with Verizon, since that is what I am on. Well, I'm not going to get the Trophy, since it is already outdated, but I asked about the unlimited data that I have and I can still extend it (with the purchase of another phone) even after my contract expires. Great!

I then went to AT&T to try out the Focus S and Flash. As soon as I mentioned Windows Phone to the greeter-lady, she asked if I would be interested in iOS, lol. I told her I was only interested in the WPs and she got an actual salesman to help me. He was great. There wasn't an S out on display (they said it was being programmed in the back [???]), but the first lady ran and got it for me after I said that I wanted to see it. I was very impressed with the S (and the Flash was alright, too, since I like the actual Windows button). The only app I could really test side-by-side with my Focus was Photo Studio, but the S loaded it at least a good two seconds faster. Anyway, after talking with the sales rep, I realized that there was no way they could even approach my $39.99/mo unlimited data plan that I have on Verizon, so it was a no-go.

At T-Mo, it was a sad story. They only had a dummy Radar on display and the guy wasn't very engaging after I mentioned Windows Phone (I think he was a pretty bad salesman altogether). They also couldn't come close to my Verizon plan.

I guess it looks like I'm staying with my current set-up until Verizon wakes up and releases a new WP. (Come on, Nokia LTE on Verizon in January or Febuary!)

Sorry for just dragging on.

tl;dr - Local AT&T wasn't perfect, but was reasonable about WP. T-Mo store was disappointing all-around. I am drooling over the Focus S, but AT&T can't even get near my current plan.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
T-mo store I went to in my local mall on Sunday had no WP7 on display at all, no HD7 or Radar. Pretty clear the US carriers dont want WP7 to sell.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
ATT store I visited in a small MN town did not yet have the Focus S, but the store manager I was talking to proudly showed me his personal phone, an original Focus.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...I realized that there was no way they could even approach my $39.99/mo unlimited data plan that I have on Verizon, so it was a no-go....

...I guess it looks like I'm staying with my current set-up until Verizon wakes up and releases a new WP. (Come on, Nokia LTE on Verizon in January or Febuary!) ...

Are you sure you'll be able to keep your unlimited data plan when you switch to LTE? Aren't all their LTE plans tiered now? I know the salesperson said you would, but sometimes they say a lot of things to make a sale.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
T-mo store I went to in my local mall on Sunday had no WP7 on display at all, no HD7 or Radar. Pretty clear the US carriers dont want WP7 to sell.

that is probably the more common state of things but, thankfully my local t-mo store had the Radar on hand and ready to go BEFORE it was officially on sale (manager let me check it out and play with it for a few minutes while he was busy checking out my DVP). He admitted to not knowing a lot about WP7 but, said it looked interesting (and different), and said he has had people coming in asking about WP7 phones and has sold more than a few. He's hoping they get more of a selection though so he can show the interested customers some choices (not just one or two phones). So, at least there is one carrier store that is not actively opposed to the idea of WP7 phones.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you'll be able to keep your unlimited data plan when you switch to LTE? Aren't all their LTE plans tiered now? I know the salesperson said you would, but sometimes they say a lot of things to make a sale.

I have no idea. I'm not sure how they made a sale, though. It would have sounded like I would have actually been forced to upgrade now if I wanted to keep unlimited, which would've been better for her. I guess I'll visit again tomorrow or research online.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

That doesn't surprise me coming from a mall carrier. They are usually more selective on their handsets than a full-blown store and let's face it, WP isn't the hottest seller.

ATT store I visited in a small MN town did not yet have the Focus S, but the store manager I was talking to proudly showed me his personal phone, an original Focus.

Interesting. At the one in town, they had a Flash, then an S, then an empty spot (maybe for the Titan in a few weeks?), then the regular Focus in a row. These were all on the far side of the iPhones, kind of in a bad location, but at least they were visible. I was surprised that they still had the Focus on display, since I thought AT&T had already dropped it and had sold out of them. The salesman blatantly told me that he really likes Android for its customization, but he said that the S has really, really impressed him so far. Good signs.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That doesn't surprise me coming from a mall carrier. They are usually more selective on their handsets than a full-blown store and let's face it, WP isn't the hottest seller.

It was a proper Tmo store, and they had carried the HD7 when it was released so it was surprising (actually not really) not to see any WP7 handsets there.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
He will not be able to get LTE and unlimited. The rep probably meant if he got a a windows phone device which does not support LTE at the moment.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
He will not be able to get LTE and unlimited. The rep probably meant if he got a a windows phone device which does not support LTE at the moment.

Noooo! She was completely useless, then. I didn't talk to her about specifics, though. I just told her my predicament and she said that I'd still be able to keep it even if I upgrade after my contract expires.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

So you are saying Verizon will force me out of my unlimited plan when I upgrade to a 4G phone?

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
When I purchased my original focus, I was offered an iphone twice, and an android device once. I went to the same store on Sunday to purchase my focus s. This time, no offers for other phones, and when I was checking out the salesman at the station next to me looked at the phone and said "awesome!" Of course, he could have thought it was an android phone, I swear they all look the same...

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
When I purchased my original focus, I was offered an iphone twice, and an android device once. I went to the same store on Sunday to purchase my focus s. This time, no offers for other phones, and when I was checking out the salesman at the station next to me looked at the phone and said "awesome!" Of course, he could have thought it was an android phone, I swear they all look the same...

congrats on your purchase. that is my biggest problem with WP's OEM's all of the handsets are indistinguishable from Android handsets. Hopefully as more unique designs become synonymous with WP, like the Radar and the Nokia (exclusive) people will know instantly that you have a WP and it will help to build mindshare!

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Maaan here the deal. I'm a Sprint subscriber for over 10years and always felts they did a good job with there phones and having products people wanted. But I have to ATT props for supporting all OS's and not selling out to android like *ahem* sprint. It just seems to me that ATT is an early adopter and strong supporter of WP. While "sprint" is coming late to the party again. quit crawling and sprint! For the first time in 10+ years i may jump ship. I give Big Yella till next summer to show me some awesome WP devices BUT by then they'll be customarilly late to the WP8 party. sigh

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Being in the UK, I don't know a great deal about AT&T, but one thing I can say is, why do they have to butcher every single handset with their logo?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
They have been putting their logo on all there phones for a very long time dont think its ever going to change. Its no big deal to me I just want the phone to work and do what I need it to do.. There's a few things I would like my phone to do that WP doesnt but bI can live the situation. Its the best phone os on the market for me!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, after talking with the sales rep, I realized that there was no way they could even approach my $39.99/mo unlimited data plan that I have on Verizon, so it was a no-go.

I realized that there was no way they could even approach my $39.99/mo unlimited data plan that I have on Verizon, so it was a no-go.

there was no way they could even approach my $39.99/mo unlimited data plan that I have on Verizon

$39.99/mo unlimited data plan

wowstr.png

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So you are saying Verizon will force me out of my unlimited plan when I upgrade to a 4G phone?

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express
I'm curious about this as well. I can't seems to find any info about it. Verizon's site is no help and I don't feel like I can believe anything a rep tells me. Anyone have more info on this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb