Let's face facts. Can you wait till Windows Phone 8

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think maybe I just bought the phone for the wrong reasons... Or, rather, I bought it for the RIGHT reasons, but they never came to pass. I bought Windows Phone because it connected to Xbox Live, and that particular portion of the phone has been less than stellar. Nor will it ever fulfill my expectations given the older tech. I expected a real gaming phone given the branding, but it's no secret that Android and Apple are covering that base in superior fashion.

Ah well... For everyone who doesn't care about that so much, they should find satisfaction until Apollo arrives. We definitely need more apps though.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I guess what I have to say is you don't put a jet engine on a Porsche do you? No you don't why because you don't need it. You don't put monster truck tires on a Motorcycle do you? No you don't because you don't need it. When I look at my Focus S I don't see substandard hardware. I see a Porsche built with what it needs to perform... Nothing wasted. MHO

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Good point - but the problem is, you don't have a proper Porsche. You have a Porsche bodyshell with the engine from a Honda Civic in it. That's all well and good for pottering round your neighbourhood and trips downtown - it does all you need, you don't notice, it feels great, looks great and turns heads. But they're opening that new dual-lane highway soon that leads straight to polygonville in Hardcore Gamer county. And your Porsche Civic might look fab and run smooth round town, but it's going to sweat, chug and eventually give out when you push it to the top speeds you need to take it on the new road, even though it's only a few months old.

I...I've extended the metaphor too far, haven't I? :)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Good point - but the problem is, you don't have a proper Porsche. You have a Porsche bodyshell with the engine from a Honda Civic in it. That's all well and good for pottering round your neighbourhood and trips downtown - it does all you need, you don't notice, it feels great, looks great and turns heads. But they're opening that new dual-lane highway soon that leads straight to polygonville in Hardcore Gamer county. And your Porsche Civic might look fab and run smooth round town, but it's going to sweat, chug and eventually give out when you push it to the top speeds you need to take it on the new road, even though it's only a few months old.

I...I've extended the metaphor too far, haven't I? :)

Just a little plus you copmpletly missed the point. WP7 doesn't need doul core to pass the bug boys on the doul core highway the OS takes care of that. I have many friends with Big Boy Droids we can pick any task there choice or mine and I wipe the floor with them. Why pay more for something you don't need. When this OS outgrows the hardware that's when we will need more processed speed but for now it's just a waist of space and money.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
But it does mean that our WP7 phones - even brand new ones - are considerably less future proof than people buying droids or iPhones with more oomph. I think that's the real problem. That, and the fact even if the OS runs fine (which it does), when apps/games come along that do need more horsepower it's just not going to be there.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think sometimes we (or at least I) are caught up in the marketing push to upgrade upgrade upgrade! I can honestly say that 2011 was the first year that I was actually thinking about my next next phone - i.e., the phone I will get after the next phone I will get! Makes my head spin!

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just a little plus you copmpletly missed the point. WP7 doesn't need doul core to pass the bug boys on the doul core highway the OS takes care of that. I have many friends with Big Boy Droids we can pick any task there choice or mine and I wipe the floor with them. Why pay more for something you don't need. When this OS outgrows the hardware that's when we will need more processed speed but for now it's just a waist of space and money.

...and battery life. I made the mistake of falling for hardware specs when I got an Evo 4G. It spent more time on the charger than anything. I had to turn off all those gas-guzzling features in order to enjoy the phone all day. What's the point of having a rocket strapped to your Porsche when you spend all day at the gas station?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
There's a difference between always wanting the best and wanting to future-proof oneself. I understand that the current Windows Phones are great. Heck, I've already had tons of fun with my Focus. But, if I'm going to get stuck in a two-year contract again, I am going to want a product that will be able to hold its own for at least half of it, if not more.

This might just be from the fact that I'm coming from the Imagio. First off, I can put a new look on it at any time. There are tons of great roms that let me customize just about anything I want. Because of this, I've gotten used to the "new" feel of a phone. One that comes with new software, rather than new hardware (I actually don't really care if my WP has dual-core. My Imagio is running at 528mhz, after all). I believe that is why I look so forward to Windows Phone updates. Secondly, I felt dropped by Microsoft after they announced that 6.5 phones would be ineligible to upgrade to 7. I guess that has made me extra wary towards buying again near another iteration's release.

I really don't think I'm being unfair, though. I simply want to be an informed consumer that wants to get the most out of the money I spend.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The fact that sales people point out what WP doesn't have, (compared to Android) instead of what it doesn't need has hurt sales somewhat. Especially if the 'higher specced' phone is the same price as the lower priced one. Hands on with someone who knows what they're talking about can often win customers over, of course the store has to actually want to sell the phone too.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It makes me wonder. If the Windows Phones are cheaper off-contract, but are the same on-contract, why wouldn't the carriers want to sell them so they could make as much money as possible?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The biggest factor of why I just can't make that dive into smartphones is wrapping my head around $90/month(incl taxes & fees). $90/month for what I anticipate as light usage, essentially a very expensive toy.

I was the same way. It took me literally years to finally go the smartphone route. I always kept my phone and PDA separate and hardly ever upgraded. I used the same cell phone for probably 4 or more years before upgrading and I always had a separate PDA beginning with my HP iPAQ 2000 series and eventually moving on to my Dell Axim x51v's that I used for about 6 years before finally moving on to my TP2 about 2 years ago now.

For me, it's worth the convenience of not having to carry around a phone and a PDA.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont disagree with your points, at all, but I mean even the iPhone 4 is a 800Mhz single core with 512MB RAM. Granted, it may have a better GPU, iOS devs will be supporting that for atleast another year. HOnestly, I think WP should worry about Devs coming to the platform itself than Devs dumbing down games for a single core CPU. You can do alot with a 1-1.5Ghz single core and 512MB RAM. It's not like the GPU is awful either.

But yeah, I understand your points and concerns.

The GPU is awful compared to what's in dual core phones. It awful compared to hummingbird as well and A4 when you fracture in texture quality. Adreno 205 is totally forgettable. There is nothing to gain by latching onto that forgettable hardware. You can clock it to 1.9 ghz and it will still be bad, just produce more heat yay!

An the A4 in the i4 was under clicked to 800 from 1ghz, just like the snapdragon in the G2 was under clocked to a similar speed. That's done cause the clock speed isn't the only thing that matters. Better processors with lower clock speeds can still perform on par or better, as the 1.2 ghz exynos vs the 1.5 ghz dual snapdragon in gs2 variants easily display.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

You're completely missing the point. The OS exists to run apps and having terrible hardware means apps will be limited compared to competitors. You can cry all day about android UI latency but when you load a game up they run circles around any windows phone - first or second gen.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
But when games are optimized for it one won't notice its "forgettableness" and this is the case for WP.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

The hardware is weak. You can optimize all you want and that will not turn an s1 or s2 into an exynos. You're missing the obvious point too. How optimized the OS is doesn't matter. Android is exhibit A of this. Hardware can more than make up for that.

Thats like saying you can outperform a high end GPU with a budget GPU if you optimize well. Even without optimization the newer SoCs have a huge performance advantage.

The hardware is forgettable. Plain and simple. It's worse than galaxy s specs almost two years after that phone was released.

iOS is very smooth so saying wp is smooth is not reason enough to waste money on these mid 2010 era smartphones.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The hardware is weak. You can optimize all you want and that will not turn an s1 or s2 into an exynos. You're missing the obvious point too. How optimized the OS is doesn't matter. Android is exhibit A of this. Hardware can more than make up for that.

Thats like saying you can outperform a high end GPU with a budget GPU if you optimize well. Even without optimization the newer SoCs have a huge performance advantage.

The hardware is forgettable. Plain and simple. It's worse than galaxy s specs almost two years after that phone was released.

iOS is very smooth so saying wp is smooth is not reason enough to waste money on these mid 2010 era smartphones.

So now we're wasting money on WP7? You've brought the full force of your WP7 hatred with you from XDA havent you, posting how bad WP7 is everywhere you can, concentrating solely on the hardware specs and the theoretical performance. Real world performance though proves you wrong and the absence of some games is more due to the lack of native code access for advanced game engines than any limitation in the hardware.

And just as the PS3 Xbox battle showed, its not just the hardware that counts, its the overall service and with Microsoft starting to bring all its properties together and bring WP7 and the Xbox closer that will be another plus point.

FYI to other members, this poster has a serious hate-on for WP7, just check his post history on XDA xda-developers. While everyone is not going to love WP7 and there is nothing wrong with discussing its pros and cons, trying to have a sensible debate with someone who obviously hates this product will be difficult.

Last edited:

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

CG8l5.jpg

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No one had any issues talking to me here. I don't think my opinion is the problem.

Google an apple are already improving their services and in some areas have eclipsed Microsoft. Google has always been ahead when it comes to web services and while xbl is cool it simply won't be able to skirt on the Xbox branding. More is needed. Right now the only thing mentionable it has that game center doesn't is avatars.

Ps3 lost because their pricing was ludicrous. Xb360 has worse hardware an it was priced accordingly. Windows phones aren't. Xbox also launched months before the ps3.

Yes. To the average consumer the hardware in these phones seems like a waste. It's like getting a pinto for the same price as a Ferrari. More in some cases.

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought it a year ago. When it was new. Not even you knew if you liked it when I bought it. Hard concept to grasp. I know.

The OS has nothing to do what the hardware though. In talking about the actual phones. Not the OS.

The other poster is just derailing and fishing for flames.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte