Let's face facts. Can you wait till Windows Phone 8

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hardly a troll thread. This has actually been a fairly worthwhile, genuine discussion. And so far, almost no one has gotten heated over it.

If anything, this just goes to show how many people want to love and devote themselves this platform. Despite all the criticism and desire for Microsoft to step up their game, what I'm taking away from this is that many of us really don't want to abandon our Windows Phones. We really, really, want the OS to succeed... We just can't see it happening with the pace Microsoft is advancing at.

Personally, I think that's a mostly positive message. If Microsoft can just bring us the goods, we're more than happy to stay aboard. But think I it's pretty clear that we're not willing to wait a year or more for that to happen. Windows Phone needs more hardware choices... and better ones.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
so exactly what games are you missing out on?

What aren't we missing out on?

Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto 3, Infinity Blade 2, Dead Space, Dark Meadow, Order and Chaos Online, Real Racing, Zen Bound 2, Galaxy on Fire 2, NOVA 2, etc.

The thing is, we're actually missing out on single core games too, and few of which I slipped onto that list. Why? Because our phone's graphics processor does, actually, really suck:

Can Dual-core Android Phones Like the LG G2x Replace Your Gaming Console?

It's a little upsetting to see that the iPhone 4 at 800mhz is, potentially, twice as powerful as my Focus at 1Ghz. That would go a long ways towards explaining why we haven't seen more high-end titles on our platform.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
so exactly what games are you missing out on?

Put it this way - if you have an iPhone 4S and an Apple TV you can wirelessly mirror all your games/apps to your TV. That basically turns it into a games console, big screen web browser - you name it.

I have a WP7 phone and an Xbox 360, and all I can do with them currently is fiddle with my avatar and play a handful of linked games. Shortly, there'll be the remote control app, which is cool. But it's still way behind the competition. Thing is though, even if it weren't it couldn't do much because the phone can't handle the heavy lifting of games with serious polygon counts.

MS are the ones who go on about three screens and all that, but they're already behind the curve. I really hope they pick up the pace with Apollo specs, but as already mentioned that's going to leave all the current hardware dead in the water. But I don't see they have a choice if they want to stay up with what iOS/Android can do.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What aren't we missing out on?

Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto 3, Infinity Blade 2, Dead Space, Dark Meadow, Order and Chaos Online, Real Racing, Zen Bound 2, Galaxy on Fire 2, NOVA 2, etc.

The thing is, we're actually missing out on single core games too, and few of which I slipped onto that list. Why? Because our phone's graphics processor does, actually, really suck:

Can Dual-core Android Phones Like the LG G2x Replace Your Gaming Console?

It's a little upsetting to see that the iPhone 4 at 800mhz is, potentially, twice as powerful as my Focus at 1Ghz. That would go a long ways towards explaining why we haven't seen more high-end titles on our platform.

So why do you think these are "dual core games"? Some of these are compatible with iOS 3.X.X devices. Considering the 1st gen iPod Touch is a 3.X.X device and runs @412Mhz. Even 2nd Gen is only 533Mhz with the same GPU as the first Gen. I dont think processing power is the issue. Have you actually contacted the developers about these games? I would guess the issue is more thst they simply havent got around to porting them all to this platform yet. I know EA and Gameloft have been pretty busy porting games to Blackberry's Playbook lately.

You havent seen "high-end" games because WP doesnt have the market share of iOS and Android. On top of all that, the other platforms (iOS, Android and even Blackberry) that have those games also have tablets, which the games were probably mainly ported for.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So why do you think these are "dual core games"? Some of these are compatible with iOS 3.X.X devices. Considering the 1st gen iPod Touch is a 3.X.X device and runs @412Mhz. Even 2nd Gen is only 533Mhz with the same GPU as the first Gen. I dont think processing power is the issue. Have you actually contacted the developers about these games? I would guess the issue is more thst they simply havent got around to porting them all to this platform yet. I know EA and Gameloft have been pretty busy porting games to Blackberry's Playbook lately.

You havent seen "high-end" games because WP doesnt have the market share of iOS and Android. On top of all that, the other platforms (iOS, Android and even Blackberry) that have those games also have tablets, which the games were probably mainly ported for.

4th gen touch is the only one with retina display which is so vastly more pixels than the other gens. You are not running the games listed on a retina display with only a 412mhz CPU. If the games are not limited by DC requirements its not any better for MS. WP still does not have any of the top games. Hardware is required to play the high polygon intense AI games. Sorry, it is. Does not matter how smooth the OS runs, games are completely different and independent of that.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't made the switch from Android yet, though I plan to. The hardware horse has been beaten to death, but I think that short of some cutting edge games, WP7 hardware is more than equal to the task. The only spec I wish had been improved by now is screen resolution. My concerns are more on the software side. Where are the custom keyboards? Browser alternatives? Above all, some app categories are woefully underrepresented (eg. drug information apps). MS needs to take the reins off developers, release some APIs, and let them run free. The developer community is THE driving force for any mobile ecosystem.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Whoever thinks "specs" are the reason that WP is not seeing top tier games is severely jaded. It all comes down to user base. If Im a developer, why would I waste all the time, energy, and resources on an OS that has only 5% marketshare?
The Specs are fine on the OS, its not Android, it doesn't need low, mid and high end, and only way to differentiate between the 3 is....specs! WP is a highly refined OS which still zips along nicely on year old hardware.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Whoever thinks "specs" are the reason that WP is not seeing top tier games is severely jaded. It all comes down to user base. If Im a developer, why would I waste all the time, energy, and resources on an OS that has only 5% marketshare?
The Specs are fine on the OS, its not Android, it doesn't need low, mid and high end, and only way to differentiate between the 3 is....specs! WP is a highly refined OS which still zips along nicely on year old hardware.

This is exactly why. ;)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Also it doesn't help that the marketing for WP7 is ultra lame compared to how iPhone gets advertised. Like that latest Samsung Focus S ad with those 2 idiot guys. If you notice Apple ads usually don't feature actors and if they do they don't talk. It's always something very touching. The only ad I've seen from Micrsoft that comes close is the "Kinect Effect" which I'm not sure is even ever going to be aired + it has the lame part of people playing "air instruments". That's just moronic.

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I think seeing the huge advertising push that is happening now, the market share will increase, and the game support will get better. The Adreno 205 gpu is about the same as the one in the iPhone 4, so hardware isn't an issue. Also, the size of the marketing campaign being done by Nokia in Europe, especially the UK is ridiculous. They have basically taken over the media. Plus remember they are bringing the latest EA games to the platform.

As someone who intends to buy a windows phone very soon, it definitely appeals to me, so the advertising is working. It doesn't matter what maxed out processor and gigs of ram they cram into an android device, it is still same old clunky, fragmented android. And no matter how good looking the iPhone 5 is, it will still have the same boring grid of apps and stale OS which I have poked through for the past 3 years. Wp7 is something fresh, and genuinely feels easy to use, unlike the competition.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The market share won't increase if the ads are horrible like the ones I'm seeing right now. That latest Samsung Focus S ad features 2 douchebags who just sold me on the idea that only douchebags use a Windows Phone. Android at least tries to sell you on the idea that super-fantastic people use the Droid Bionic. Apple shows you normal people in their ads just demonstrating the most important apps.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Also it doesn't help that the marketing for WP7 is ultra lame compared to how iPhone gets advertised. Like that latest Samsung Focus S ad with those 2 idiot guys. If you notice Apple ads usually don't feature actors and if they do they don't talk. It's always something very touching. The only ad I've seen from Micrsoft that comes close is the "Kinect Effect" which I'm not sure is even ever going to be aired + it has the lame part of people playing "air instruments". That's just moronic.

Another good reason, for the most part MS advertising is nonexistent, and the ones they do have all deal with PC's, Kinect and Xbox. Thats great, but if you're serious about this OS and want to stay relavent, you need to focus on the phone. Introduce all those cool features via commercial later, once WP is on peoples minds. There's so much potential in OS I'd hate to see it just kinda fade away cause no one knows what it is.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hardware Specs

There are certain specs that may or may not matter (CPU) while there are other things that are definitely important and noticeable. Anyone who has ever looked at an iPhone 4/4S knows that the IPS (960x640) display is jawdropping. If you've looked at some of the new Android phones (qHD or 720P) those are also great looking displays. It does take some extra CPU/GPU horsepower to drive those types of displays properly. The Titan reviews have started to talk about pixelation and you're not really taking advantage of the 4.7" display with only WVGA resolution. To me, the biggest shortcoming of the WP7 platform is the lack of storage - as far as I can tell the most storage you can get on a WP7 is 16 GB - totally inadequate. 32 GB minimum for any new phone I get (iPhone or Android). When you look at games on the higher res you just don't want to go back (Infinity Blade on iPhone 4S). I am not an Apple or Android ****** (actually currently sporting WebOS while debating an upgrade) - its just a shame that WP7 is not on the short list (and by the way, totally inadequate from all aspects on Verizon - a Trophy is not going to survive a two year upgrade cycle).

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess the big one is, people want the device that everyone else has already because beyond the geeks, people who strive to be different, or someone who is new to smartphones, will pick whatever their friends has because it is the easiest to get help with. If you buy a WP7, none of your friends can help you, they can't talk with you about this cool new app or trick they discovered, all of that cool stuff is lost because you're part of a ~5% population.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Future proof? Android phones aren't even 4 months proof LOL. Seriously people.

That has a bit of dependancy on which kind of device. Nexus, may live longer. MotoFAIL? Tough chance. Encrypted bootloaders, and as a direct result, it seriously hurts truely custom ROM development. Case in point, my Moto Atrix "4G." It only very recently got CM7 nightlies (all other roms, to date, are based on stock BLUR rom - MIUI might be up, but that's based on CM7), after about a 1.5 month pre/beta period, and a LOT of complaining on the forum. It litterally soured and poisoned the Atrix XDA community.

And for me, it drove me away from ever buying a Motoroloa phone again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte