Went to the darkside but switched back within 24 hours.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So I REALLY would like the ability to tether but I currently do not know of a way with my Arrive. So I went ahead and started looking at Sprint android phones and found a guy selling his EVO Shift for pretty darn cheap. I figured I could root it and tether.

Well I got the Shift and it was OK. Same old boring Android that I used to have but with a fancy new UI. Anyways, all of the apps I use on a regular basis like Netflix, ESPN Score Center, a few games, Weather, News... etc. ALL, and I MEAN ALL took at least twice as long to load up. Netflix took a good 4-5 minutes every time to load up and I had to make sure I kept tapping the screen so it didn't lock. Also while watching netflix the app would stop the movie and close it if I got a text.

Oh and don't even get me started on how terrible the web-browsing is on the android. Also the battery (which was new) was half dead after 5 hours and all I did was download angry birds and sync my email after a full charge. I didn't even play Angry Birds yet.

Long story short, I am willing to sacrifice the ability to tether for a phone that performs better in every possible way.

Maybe it was just just EVO Shift or how it works with the Sprint network I don't know. All I know is I am glad I got my Arrive back up and running.

I know this sounds like a re-assurance thread but hey, I am happy with my choice to return to WP7 and I am now 100% never going to get near an android device.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those weren't selling in my price range :)

Either way, I know for a fact the Galaxy S II doesn't have better battery life than my Arrive, the web browsing would still suck and I would assume that the Netflix app is just as slow (same OS, same network).

I could be wrong.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Let's get physical, whose slide-out keyboard was better? ;)

Anyway, hopefully, you/we won't have to suffer from a lack of tethering for too much longer. My understanding is that it's Sprint we're waiting on for it since Mango supports it and carriers want to control it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
For your repentance my son you must smash the temptation with a hammer. That's what I said smash the Droid with a hammer! DO IT NOT...DO IT NOW!

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Anyway, hopefully, you/we won't have to suffer from a lack of tethering for too much longer. My understanding is that it's Sprint we're waiting on for it since Mango supports it and carriers want to control it.

I do hope there's either support or a hack forthcoming for the Arrive to allow me to tether on my sprint Arrive. I really miss it coming from the TP2. It was a God send on long trips with the family. the wife was able to connect her laptop and my son was able to connect his DS and I never had to listen to "Are We There Yet?" on trips.

I REALLY NEED TETHERING!!!!!

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I do hope there's either support or a hack forthcoming for the Arrive to allow me to tether on my sprint Arrive. I really miss it coming from the TP2. It was a God send on long trips with the family. the wife was able to connect her laptop and my son was able to connect his DS and I never had to listen to "Are We There Yet?" on trips.

Sprint's family plan isn't an option?:unsure:

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@TaliZora: I thought you were going to say iOS when you mentioned the dark side, LOL!
LOL nah, I am not THAT stupid :p

I actually liked the feel of the EVO shift keyboard more but the HUGE drawback is that it was only a 4 row keyboard (had to press the FN button to do numbers) and the Arrive is a 5-row with a dedicated number row. I LOVE IT!!!

Yeah I don't know why Sprint hasn't added the ability for it. On the EVO Shift it wouldn't even allow you to turn on the hotspot or do tethering because it checks your plan to see if you have that ability.

For your repentance my son you must smash the temptation with a hammer. That's what I said smash the Droid with a hammer! DO IT NOT...DO IT NOW!
LOL! But it's worth some monies!!! I will sell it next week!

Yup. I really want tethering too!

Last edited:

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
lol I think the dark side suits android way better than iOS.

I agree! WP7 has much more in common with iOS than Android. Fast, polished and streamlined UI. Tight hardware/software integration. High quality apps. All of the things Android doesn't generally have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss