11-17-2011 09:34 AM
68 123
tools
    Well, Rogers uses the same frequencies as ATT and most of the world, so phones probably pass validation a lot easier for them, IMO.
    11-15-2011 10:26 AM
    Always buy my phone outright when I can so contract is not a concern,
    Out of curiosity, does that save you money, or is it mostly for the sake of freedom from contracts?
    11-15-2011 10:44 AM
    My contract is up or I am eligible for an upgrade as of last week I am going to go look at the focus s and flash assuming my store has them. I suspect that I am going to wait to see what ATT and Nokia do early next year. May jump then if I can keep my unlimited data plan. Since my wife and daughter have iphones I will grudginly look at the iphone 5 if when it comes out but dont want to lightly get rid of my grandfathered unltd data. If I can get a Gen 2 WP without chunking the data plan in the trash may go ahead or not!
    11-15-2011 11:19 AM
    Me too, I'm in the MS ecosystem, live, xbox, zune, office, 7. I love MS. I hate sprint, wish they'd say something.

I'm invested in the MS eco system my phone is part of that. I have an XBOX I'm a Zune subscriber and my primary email is a windows live account so it would take more than a few improvements to move me from the windows MS system. Plus's at this time I think WP has more to offer so if I had to chose now I would keep a WP. Chances are good that won't change at the end of my contract in 2 years.
    11-15-2011 02:20 PM
    I am toying around with the HTC Titan or Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (my third Droid to go with my Android tablet)...I have an HTC Trophy for work, so I get some Windows Phone goodness but as my sole, personal phone, I am just not quite ready to make the move. Android frustrates me to no end at times but I do have a lot invested into it and excited about Ice Cream Sandwich. I stand behind Windows Phone 7 and am converted people to work to using it, but for my personal phone, staying with Android...for now.
    11-15-2011 02:48 PM
    Out of curiosity, does that save you money, or is it mostly for the sake of freedom from contracts?
    Most likely to have the freedom. At least in the US, you don't get a discounted price because you don't have a contract. You almost never get the phone for under the asking price of the phone vendor either.
    11-15-2011 03:54 PM
    Like a lot of you I am on contract for another year. BUT I have only just unlocked my Samsung (by curtsey of Samsung) so I can change operators at will. My problem is that the phones I fall in love with (mostly for design reasons and specs) usually drive me from my preferred operator (Tele2 where I have my regular mobile number) to 3 Sweden. I never have liked the company or their staff but they are probably not any worse than any other mobile operator. Usually a brand or specific model is introduced in Sweden on a contract. The contract free option which costs more money upfront usually happens way later. But I hope this will change during 2012. I hope for 2 things; that Apollo/WP 8 (W8) will hit the market and that Nokia will produce and sell affordable smartphones with excellent cameras and that they are not monopolized by 3 Sweden (which was the case to begin with with Samsung Omnia 7).

On another note: WHY don't I see my picture even though both my profile and my signature contain a photo?
    Last edited by perbear; 11-15-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added another question
    11-15-2011 05:41 PM
    Like some of the others here, I was using Windows Mobile long before Windows Phone and the difference between te two is phenomenal. There's a **** of a backing behind the Windows/Live eco-system and from what's coming the link between XBox, Phone and Windows (Desktop/Laptop/Tablet) that's gonna get better.

Some of my "would Like's" appear to be on the way (Xbox Companion for example) and others have already turned up. I enjoyed the phone from the off byt when Mango hit it really brough the whole thing to life.

With a year to go, Nokia joining the battle an the potential of Generation 3 devices before my contract is up, yeah I'll stick with Windows Phone! Where else can I score XBox Live Gamer Points ;)
    11-16-2011 01:58 AM
    Thinking about it, I've pretty much decided I will get another WP7 phone (well, as long as they don't end up like Paul Thurrott's design ideas!). I don't want a Windows 8 tablet (or if I did, I'd only want a lightweight ARM one rather than a full-on PC version) so will likely stick with my first-gen iPad or get the inevitable iPad 3, so with another WP7 phone I genuinely believe I get the best of everything - an elegant, quick and easy to use handset with everything I need onboard and no clutter to keep with me, and a tablet for more comfortable browsing/light emailing & work stuff with a massive level of app support. And by app support I basically mean I'm a sucker for gaming ;)
    11-16-2011 04:45 AM
    It's a certainty that I'll be getting another Windows Phone, and I can't wait to get my hands on a slate running Win 8. This time around, I'm considering buying the handset as I won't enter into a contract longer than 18 months. My HD7 is pretty immaculate so I should fetch good money for it.
    11-16-2011 06:56 AM
    I think I will be sticking with WP come upgrade time in January. I currently have mango running on an old HD2 so it will be good to have a real WP next year. I willl keep an eye on the sales though as I want to make sure the platform will continue to grow.

I want a Nokia. The lumia 800 is a beautiful thing, I have to say. I tried one out in Phones 4U here in the UK and love it. I may hold out for a higher end model though. 4.3" screen, FFC, etc.
    11-16-2011 08:10 AM
    I will definitely get another WP device My contract is now in upgrade eligible statusso its just a question of which dwevice. I would say that I plan tovisit the ATT store to see if they have the focus and flash and will visit when the titan comes out depending on what I see and fell may go with focus s or titan or may wait to see the Nokia 800 and or 900 when they come out here.
    11-16-2011 10:42 AM
    Right now yes. the sticking point for me is the carrier because of family and business i'm locked into T-MO for a while. it's the device factor for me. Radar is not my style
    11-17-2011 03:21 AM
    I think I will be sticking with WP come upgrade time in January. I currently have mango running on an old HD2 so it will be good to have a real WP next year. I willl keep an eye on the sales though as I want to make sure the platform will continue to grow.

I want a Nokia. The lumia 800 is a beautiful thing, I have to say. I tried one out in Phones 4U here in the UK and love it. I may hold out for a higher end model though. 4.3" screen, FFC, etc.
    What phone company will carry the lumia in the US?
    11-17-2011 07:43 AM
    What phone company will carry the lumia in the US?
    I am guessing AT&T, but no one knows for sure yet.
    11-17-2011 07:51 AM
    I am guessing AT&T, but no one knows for sure yet.
    I can make a good guess that it won't be Verizon. They gave it a shot being the carrier that had Microsoft's newest phone at the time- the kin 1 and kin 2...which failed miserably. Thats when the Motorola droid came and became their new saving grace. Since then, they have become the droid captains of the phone industry. With 7 verizon stores in my area and not one of them promoting, speaking of , or displaying their one windows phone, its pretty evident they don't wanna dip into that nightmare again. When my contract is up in 2013, it'll be the latest droid for sure. Unless of course, windows phone has dominated the phone industry by then...
    11-17-2011 08:32 AM
    IMHO, the Kin failed as fast and hard as it did because they (Microsoft, Verizon, or both), attempted to leverage consumer ignorance by requiring a smartphone data plan then crippling the phone from being an actual smartphone.
    11-17-2011 09:26 AM
    I would def stay. I can't complain a bit about the OS or my current phone. If MS plays the cards right and keeps the OS smooth and as bugless as possible then I feel confident I found my baby.

I am even going so far as to try and get used to the virtual keyboard in the event they don't make a phone with a portait KB.

Only time will tell. Hey, think abou it. Years back no ne thought apple would be where it is today. Maybe MS has some ideas that may turn heads towards the OS and for phone manufactures
    11-17-2011 09:34 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD