WP7 Mango Strengths/Weaknesses

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in search of my next phone (currently own a BlackBerry + an Android tablet) and have been really looking hard at the HTC Radar 4G. I've played with it at the TMO store and am really liking it.

I'm really wanting a smart phone that "just works" vs something like Android with all its fragmentation, force closes, and laggy UI. Plus, I'm really tired of the "pages of icons" UI that both Android and iOS have. I just have this feeling like WP7 is too good to be true, especially coming from MS. Did MS finally do something right?

I guess I just would really like to see a good comprehensive comparison of Mango vs Android to make sure I will be happy and there aren't any glaring feature omissions or usability issues. Does anyone know if there is such a comparison?

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
One weakness? Volume leveling (but that is more of my useage habits).

Strengths? Ease of multitasking. While I wish there were more "multitasking panels," it's not a big complaint.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
From everything you have said, Windows Phone is your friend. - It. Works. And, further more, it's fast, reliable, visually stunning, and generally just a pleasure to operate.

The only weakness worth highlighting so far is the Marketplace is still playing 'catch-up' with the big boys. But, fear not; it's getting there as more devs are recognising the platform. The other thing is the limited storage space, but if 16GB is enough for you, then you have no problem.

Hope this helps. :)

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Strengths? Ease of multitasking. While I wish there were more "multitasking panels," it's not a big complaint.

What do you mean by "volume leveling"?

And yeah, I like the multitasking that I've seen so far. I don't really have that with my Android tablet. I never could find an app for that. That's one thing my blackberry does quite well, even if it is horribly slow.

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
From everything you have said, Windows Phone is your friend. - It. Works. And, further more, it's fast, reliable, visually stunning, and generally just a pleasure to operate.

The only weakness worth highlighting so far is the Marketplace is still playing 'catch-up' with the big boys. But, fear not; it's getting there as more devs are recognising the platform. The other thing is the limited storage space, but if 16GB is enough for you, then you have no problem.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the storage space is not an issue for me.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think my main complaints are the lack of apps compared to the others, no real alternative browser like the Dolphin HD on Andriod (best mobile browser ever), and lack of free Navigation similar to Google Navigation.

Im sure the apps will start coming fast and furious sooner or later though. Hopefully anyways and even perhaps an really good alternative to IE9. I dont mind it, but its so limited in options and once youve used something like Dolphin HD, its hard to get use to.

And I really dont understand how MS, who owns Bing Maps, cant come out with a Navigation. I actually really like Bing Maps, and it would only make sense to provide a free Navigation app for it. I understand there are some paid ones out there, but again, when youve used an Android where you had a good free Navigation app, its just disappointing coming to WP7 where you have to pay a lot to get one.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by "volume leveling"?

[...]

Specifically, I plug my phone into my car's stereo system (just use the 3.5mm jack).

If I set the "main" volume to 20/30, and the phone to 10/10, the volume difference between the phone and music is unnoticeable (music pauses when phone call comes in, phone call punches out over stereo :D).

However, Bing navigation is... (beyond the fact I have to tap it every time to get a vocal navigation prompt) almost inaudible. The biggest reason is the "main" volume controls the Music and Bing as a single volume setting. The lessor reason is I cannot set Bing to "speak up louder," at all.

It is the SOLE reason I keepy my Atrix 4G, for these frequent, long, car trips.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

No offense, but WP multitasking is basically App switching, like iOS. Android, iOS and Blackberry all multitask as well as WP and even better. Blackberry has had mutltasking for years, and their Playbook has probably the most unlimited multitasking of any mobile device short of a tablet with a desktop OS.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but WP multitasking is basically App switching, like iOS. Android, iOS and Blackberry all multitask as well as WP and even better. Blackberry has had mutltasking for years, and their Playbook has probably the most unlimited multitasking of any mobile device short of a tablet with a desktop OS.

IMO, only ios was comarible, but it lacked a back key for easy navigation. Android has a back key, but its locked into each application, and not as a general interface. Never liked BB RIM, nor their willingness to bend over to every other country's government and share data.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ok, but what does that have to do with their multitasking capabilities?

Not trying to start a platform war or anything. I just wouldnt say their "multitasking" is a strength. 2 of the 4 major platforms do it better and the other has the same implementation.

Do you understand why governments want RIM encryption keys? Cause they cant get the data themselves. The reason they dont ask for anyone else's encryption keys is because no one else encrypts data like RIM. They go right to the carriers for anyone else's data, which they will give right to governments/authorities. Not really sure what that issue is, but its irrelevant anyways...

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why you'd want 7 programs executing code actively at once, on a phone. Without the screen res and physical real estate to actually interact with more than 1 program at once, why WOULDN'T you want to suspend it? Mango has allowances for certain types of things to actually multitask, which I think addresses the issue pretty well.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Who said they wanted 7?

It would be nice to listen to music and Mac app in the background while I am in an IM app, though.

One works well (music playback), the other simply doesn't especially if it's a third party app. You can do that on ios. You cannot do that on windows phone. It has the weakest multitasking out of all the major platforms.

That being said. Some people don't even use navigation apps so that is a nonfactor to them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, sure everyone might not need the capability, but its nice to have that one or two times you'd want it. You can play a youtube video or a podcast video, let it play in the background and continue to listen while you pop over and send an email/look something up on the web/etc. You can use either camera while doing basically anything. Say turn on the front facing camera while you show something to someone for some type of reaction clip or something. If you wanna check more out, just google some Playbook multitasking videos. Im not saying WP is bad or behind, just that multitasking isnt what id consider a strength comparatively. I know on the Playbook you can set whether Apps run in the background or all processes are used on the App on screen. Basically App switching.

Edit: One pretty cool one is using the FFC for video chat, swipe the browser or anything else to the fro t and the camera will still record you and you can talk and listen while you do other things on screen. Also, you can play a video, with HDMI mirror it to a TV, lock the video to the HDMI out signal and do other things on your playbook screen without interrupting the video being output.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
ok, but what does that have to do with their multitasking capabilities?

Not trying to start a platform war or anything. I just wouldnt say their "multitasking" is a strength. 2 of the 4 major platforms do it better and the other has the same implementation.

Do you understand why governments want RIM encryption keys? Cause they cant get the data themselves. The reason they dont ask for anyone else's encryption keys is because no one else encrypts data like RIM. They go right to the carriers for anyone else's data, which they will give right to governments/authorities. Not really sure what that issue is, but its irrelevant anyways...

It has a LOT to do with their multitasking functionality. Part of Apple's UI design guides require a back button in the application design, which generally makes Android and iOS multitasking very similar*. Per application. Not across the entire user experience.

If the government really wanted data easily, they should of banned VPNs alltogether, lol. But going after RIM = RIM not even in the books for where I work.

* relative to WP7. Dunno about WebOS.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Who said they wanted 7?

It would be nice to listen to music and Mac app in the background while I am in an IM app, though.

One works well (music playback), the other simply doesn't especially if it's a third party app. You can do that on ios. You cannot do that on windows phone. It has the weakest multitasking out of all the major platforms.

That being said. Some people don't even use navigation apps so that is a nonfactor to them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If the developer codes his application correctly any 3rd party application can take advantage of WP7's background agents, FAS, and running under lock. Dont blame the OS for inept developers. Then again, no surprise coming from you.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
WP is locked down too tight, they need to allow more native code to be run. I want to be able to send texts while inside of another app. I want to be able to change my WiFi toggle without going through 4 pages of settings. Wouldn't it be nice to view mobile websites the same way that ios and android do? Instead of "view page directly", then "you are being redirected to..." just so I can see the freaking page I want to see.

BTW, my focus rebooted 3 times in the last hour trying to use ...I'm a WP7 and a couple of games from the marketplace.

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It seemed to me like Jeremyshaw was talking about how easy it is to switch between apps that are open, not actually the new multitasking abilities of mango.

Regardless, I've now read up on multitasking in mango and it is different than I thought. MS has taken the same approach as Apple and made only a limited API available for true multitasking. This helps keep battery life good so it is an acceptable tradeoff in my opinion.

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
WP is locked down too tight, they need to allow more native code to be run. I want to be able to send texts while inside of another app. I want to be able to change my WiFi toggle without going through 4 pages of settings.

Check out the app called Network Dashboard. I'm using the trial version and it lets you pin to start WiFi settings and Mobile Data settings =)

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It seemed to me like Jeremyshaw was talking about how easy it is to switch between apps that are open, not actually the new multitasking abilities of mango.

Regardless, I've now read up on multitasking in mango and it is different than I thought. MS has taken the same approach as Apple and made only a limited API available for true multitasking. This helps keep battery life good so it is an acceptable tradeoff in my opinion.

Yeah. My first smartphone was WinMo and both WinMo and Android give a desktop-like experience as far as customization potential as well as multitasking. You know what I realized? I don't want or need that on a phone. Input capability is limited, the screen is small (they absolutely can't grow bigger than pocket size, that is a hard limit), I expect a certain battery life, etc.

Getting the phone closer to a laptop doesn't make it a better phone. That is not a goal that should be pursued in my opinion.

So I disagree with what I see from Android's approach to giving the phone computer-like resources. You don't throw more RAM and CPU at an ugly, inefficient OS...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb