I realize that WP7.5 is a great product in itself, but reading articles like this is what scares me the most when being forced into a 2-year contract.

Ballmer Didn’t Necessarily Say Full Windows Is Coming to Phones, But Might It? - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD
    11-15-2011 03:30 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much - he did say "...down to the phone". :)
    11-15-2011 03:37 PM
    MS has always been very thoughtful of legacy devices and software. Win7 still has XP code in it to allow backwards compatibility. I have no doubt that anything that runs on wp7 will run on win8 handsets. Well not on the focus 1.4s maybe. :P
    11-15-2011 04:04 PM
    I doubt we will see the same incompabibility between WP7 and the next versions of WP as we saw when they moved from Windows Mobile. There's a big, established base of developers and users, throwing all that out the window AGAIN for a new version would be stupid, and with guys like Brandon Watson around, is unlikely. More probable is some kind of backward compatibility with current software for a while but little chance of people just being abandoned.
    11-15-2011 04:39 PM
    Er...things like this make me feel better. :P I love it when MS becomes transparent!

Microsoft clarifies that Windows 8 isn't coming to phones -- Engadget
    11-15-2011 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD