The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-25-2011 10:46 PM
80 1234
tools
    Honestly, you sound more butthurt than anyone.

Android is laggy! This is not a debate, but an easily researched reality. This is a major reason for running a custom rom, to HELP alleviate the lagginess. The custom roms eliminate some services to help reduce the lag. The real problem is not that simple. The lagginess stems from the fact that the UI is not hardware accellerated. WP7 and iOS both HW accellerate their UI elements. Because of this, WP7 and iOS perform better on less hardware. ICS (or Android 4.0) is supposed to alleviate this missing optimization. We shall see.

With Android, you NEED more hardware. This is a simple truth. Nothing you, or I, or anyone else here says will change that. It is poorly optimized in many aspects. Is this the end of the world for Android? No, it is just the reason why it feels laggy. How often it feels this way is largely dependent on how one uses an Android device. Certain areas are more laggy than others.

IMO, WP7 does not need custom roms. The ability to sideload apps is already accomplished.

Saying an app is laggy is one thing, with Android it is the UI as a whole that is laggy.

Before you make any statements about me being a fanboy, here is a list of devices I have had this year:

Personal:
    Samsung Focus
    SE Xperia X10
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    HTC HD7s
    LG Thrill 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    Focus Flash

Work:
    Samsung Fascinate
    iPhone 4

So, as you should be able to see, I have experienced these three platforms rather extensively. All the Android devices had lag at some level. The Thrill 4G and GSII were the least laggy of the Android devices. I also had custom ROMs on all the Android devices. So, OEM support may not be much of a concern to someone like me, but to the average user it is much more important. This is an area where Android is the worst of the three platforms.
    I'm not butthurt but it sure seems like you are.

Android might be laggy if you're using a device with the old MotoBlur or Touchwiz but all the newer phones out this year running Gingerbread are snappy. My Sensation 4G is just as smooth as my HD7 was (minus the unnecessary animations) yet a lot faster.

No fanboy, just stating facts.

^ That is ICS beta running smooth on the Nexus S which has the same hardware as any typical Windows Phone out now. So you were saying?

I'm pretty sure if you showed ICS and Mango to the average person, they'd probably prefer ICS.

Windows Phone isn't bad but it seems like an iOS wannabe to me. Good OS but not as good as Android imo. I do hope that Microsoft overtakes BlackBerry in sales some day and doesn't ditch it like they did Windows Mobile.
    Last edited by condemned ; 11-19-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    11-19-2011 08:13 PM
    I'm not butthurt but it sure seems like you are.

Android might be laggy if you're using a device with the old MotoBlur or Touchwiz but all the newer phones out this year running Gingerbread are snappy. My Sensation 4G is just as smooth as my HD7 was (minus the unnecessary animations) yet a lot faster.

No fanboy, just stating facts.

^ That is ICS beta running smooth on the Nexus S which has the same hardware as any typical Windows Phone out now. So you were saying?

I'm pretty sure if you showed ICS and Mango to the average person, they'd probably prefer ICS.

Windows Phone isn't bad but it seems like an iOS wannabe to me. Good OS but not as good as Android imo. I do hope that Microsoft overtakes BlackBerry in sales some day and doesn't ditch it like they did Windows Mobile.
    jaja are u kidding me? Android is more of an iOS wannabe than anything, they have also took some elements from WP and put it into ICS so please realize how ludicrous ur point is.
    11-19-2011 10:12 PM
    What is this? I don't even....

Then sell it and get a laggy, buggy android that will be outdated within a year because the newest version won't come to all phones. Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.
    Sorry, I can't let that go unanswered. iPhone 4 had the premier phone status for nearly a year and a half, the previous models had a full year. The iPhone in every incarnation has always had a camera. The 3G model iPhone was released in 2008 as that is when coverage for 3G was acceptable and uniform, not spotty and fragmented. Much like 4G is now, a proverbial hodge podge of different definitions of what 4G actually is in so few areas it does not matter. If you want to make the argument of slowly adding features and making you pay top dollar for them, then you cannot ignore MS who's new phones are not providing you any new technology; no dual core processors, some offer super screens, spotty availability of FFC, one model featuring 4G, no NFC.... etc... The only thing new is a couple of tweaked and logoed handsets originally designed for Android or Meego with an addition of Mango software. All while still charging top dollar.

I love my iPhone 4S, as I love my Omnia WP. Show me a WP with as good or better of a camera cable of shooting 1080P, has anything even remotely as cool as Siri, and can best the dual core processor and graphics capability of my 4S and I promise you I will retire my iPhone and run with a second WP instead.

Until that day, I have to run 2 phones as I do not feel I would be happy with only the WP experience at this point. It's still very feature lacking.
    11-20-2011 06:09 AM
    Wp will not shoot 1080p till it gets DC. No other OS with a SC could shoot 1080p either. Even iPhone only did 720p last year.

Siri si definitely the best voice integration of all when it works as it should. But for social integration nothing beats WP. Show me any iPhone with anything even remotely as cool as WP social integration and I will ditch WP and run a second i device instead. Same stupid one feature comparison that is useless but completely biased towards showing one platform as superior.

I know, your excuse will be that you do not use social stuff so its not important to you. Well I dont talk to my phone unless I am talking to someone. I dont talk to my phone so that it can text my friends. I call them. One reason I dont need siri. Only thing I really liked about iOS5 is the location based reminders.
    11-20-2011 10:17 AM
    Sorry, I can't let that go unanswered. iPhone 4 had the premier phone status for nearly a year and a half, the previous models had a full year. The iPhone in every incarnation has always had a camera. The 3G model iPhone was released in 2008 as that is when coverage for 3G was acceptable and uniform, not spotty and fragmented. Much like 4G is now, a proverbial hodge podge of different definitions of what 4G actually is in so few areas it does not matter. If you want to make the argument of slowly adding features and making you pay top dollar for them, then you cannot ignore MS who's new phones are not providing you any new technology; no dual core processors, some offer super screens, spotty availability of FFC, one model featuring 4G, no NFC.... etc... The only thing new is a couple of tweaked and logoed handsets originally designed for Android or Meego with an addition of Mango software. All while still charging top dollar.

I love my iPhone 4S, as I love my Omnia WP. Show me a WP with as good or better of a camera cable of shooting 1080P, has anything even remotely as cool as Siri, and can best the dual core processor and graphics capability of my 4S and I promise you I will retire my iPhone and run with a second WP instead.

Until that day, I have to run 2 phones as I do not feel I would be happy with only the WP experience at this point. It's still very feature lacking.
    guess u like buying into gimmicks then because that's all siri is. TellME works just as good in most cases. How is mango feature lacking compared to iOS? There's still quite a bit of things in iOS that u need to launch an app for.
    11-20-2011 01:28 PM
    HTC's have notification lights. Check out the Titan. If you still have < 30 days since you bought it you can take it back and exchange it.
    Pin your favorite contacts to the start screen to dial quickly.. Not one-touch.. but still only 2 touches.
    There are second party apps that can take you straight to toggle BT and Wifi options
    11-20-2011 02:35 PM
    Do a search for Siri Argument....
    Thank you, but Tell me works decently for me on my HTC Arrive.

Watched the video of the ported Android ICS and the first comment the guy makes is that some of the things just don't work presumably because its not an official release on an official device. Other comments he makes with genuine surprise in his voice are about the smoothness and speed of the new OS responses - hmmmm, could that translate to the very real observation that Android is notorious for laggy, slow responses - regardless of their dual core processors?

WP7 Mango is fluid, speedy, reliable, multi-faceted, functional and all without being rooted, or having a custom ROM installed.

Hmmm, imagine that, an OS that works without the end user having to patch it, tweak it, root it, flash it, or doctor it!
    11-20-2011 02:49 PM
    Siri is not a gimmick. Sorry but it is much more advanced and integrated than tellme.
    11-20-2011 04:24 PM
    Siri is not a gimmick. Sorry but it is much more advanced and integrated than tellme.
    Well, one could say they're both gimmicks. ;)

In all honestly, I like voice recognition and I look forward to seeing Tellme advance to the point where you can access an app (calender for example) and input, just from one sentence. That's where Siri is at, and there's no question that Tellme is going to have to step up to the plate.
    11-20-2011 04:58 PM
    and it wasn't invented by apple.
    11-20-2011 06:29 PM
    jaja are u kidding me? Android is more of an iOS wannabe than anything, they have also took some elements from WP and put it into ICS so please realize how ludicrous ur point is.
    Everyone takes ideas from others. That's how they all benefit.

You think Microsoft came out with everything on their own?

And by wannabe I meant in the way Microsoft has restrictions on the OS and ties the OS to Zune. Nothing bad or anything.
    11-20-2011 11:20 PM
    And by wannabe I meant in the way Microsoft has restrictions on the OS and ties the OS to Zune. Nothing bad or anything.
    By that standard, iOS is the biggest wannabe of them all. That is not what wannabe means man. Not trying to pick on you, just not seeing the connection.

As for Siri, it is really good technology. It's just not as useful as advertising would have you believe. It is certainly not something I would scoff at either. Everything will become more AI like going forward. Just imagine what something like Siri, combined with a Kinect, would be capable of. This tech will happen.
    Last edited by billfraley; 11-21-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    11-20-2011 11:37 PM
    I think the main concept of Metro, at least, is fresh. The bigger reason why I like it now, is before I like vertical scrolling better than horizontal... I feel horizontal scrolling is so unnattural, though I'm sure there is a way to modify that in android, lol.

EDIT: IMO, WP7 live tiles (though calendar/Mango are really changing that :)) are no more useful than iOS App Icon badges. I wish for a double wide email tile that has either the ability to show (linked) per inbox email count, or maybe a double sided, double wide, that can show the subjects of some recent "unviewed" emails.
    Last edited by jeremyshaw; 11-21-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    VKris likes this.
    11-21-2011 12:02 AM
    and it wasn't invented by apple.
    Never said it was. SRI international created it with 40 years of DARPA research help. Apple does not invent anything. Everyone knows that. They do implement stuff better than just about anyone though and that would be nearly impossible to convince me otherwise.

I think the main concept of Metro, at least, is fresh. The bigger reason why I like it now, is before I like vertical scrolling better than horizontal... I feel horizontal scrolling is so unnattural, though I'm sure there is a way to modify that in android, lol.
    That is why I like it and am switching. Its new and different. All phones do basically the same thing for me and I will not be limited by app count.
    11-21-2011 09:46 AM
    i love windows phone 7, well certain bits of it, in particular Zune music Pass! I was about to sell because lack of functions, but now i discovered zune pass, I now will keep but some basic features that are missing is too annoying..

1. copy paste phone number to dialer.

2. cant turn off auto-rotate (very annoying when relaxing in bed and browsing)

3. send contacts without a damm app.

4. a quick way to change brightness, wifi, mobile data, toggle. - make use of dead black space on the side?? hint hint. or a drag down curtain android/ios

5. get on board with a headphone manufacturer and make decent headphones with mic/volume/music control/change tracks/pause etc - a must for any music freak.

6. screen capture capability

7. ringtones without needing a pHD to make

8. This is one of my major gripes -> bing maps/bing search integration. not sure what its like in America, but here in Australia, i want to search for say "Kmart Liverpool" it comes up with some wierd results.

for android, I google "Kmart liverpool" the first result will be the address with link to open navigation, a phone number where if i tap it will open dialer, etc.

do it properly or give us google maps/google integration. why are we in Australia treated like 2nd class citizens?

9. have the ability to change the list view to a grid icon view. sick of scrolling through hundreds of apps. ok i can pick the letter, but sometimes i can't remember what the name of the app starts with. sometimes the name is inconsitant. such as "free GPS" ...i would look for "G" not "F" ... results in frustration. more efficint to look at a 4x5 grid. also muscle memory is better with grids than a long list.

10. want the tiles to be 3 wide. 2 wide is just too damm big.

11. have the ability to "flick" close the open apps. dont worry i dont think HP wil sue. everyone has ripped it off now LOL

12. with vibrate activated.

why cant we have a complete silence option even when we have vibrate on?

can be very simple to implement toggle. silent, silent +vibrate, or normal volume. its just one more option come on cant be that hard is it?

13. why do we need the dead space? all for a small arrow? why cant we just swipe from right to left to see the app list? if we have this dead space, at least use it for sometime more meaningful than a arrow which rotated from left to right.

14. when we do a search in marketplace the results should indicate which apps we have already installed or we have already previously paid for it.

the only way we know is that we have to click on the app and instead of saying "buy/try" it says "share". this results in unecessary clicks, we should know before we go into the app if we already have it installed.

also have a way to view all previously bought/paid for apps.

yes i know some of these things are my personal opinion, especially the design aspects and i suppose will never get done, but some of these features are just no brainers really and need to get done ASAP!
    Last edited by tc4101; 11-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    11-25-2011 10:01 AM
    Sounds Windows Phone is still not ready for "prime time", too many essential features missing compared to iOS 5 and Android ICS.
    11-25-2011 10:26 AM
    Sounds Windows Phone is still not ready for "prime time", too many essential features missing compared to iOS 5 and Android ICS.
    I don't think it's missing anything essential at all. Essential for a smartphone would be:

Phone
    Text/MMS
    Email
    Apps/games
    Web browser
    Address book
    Calendar
    GPS
    Camera
    Wifi

Literally everything else is personal need/preference/convenience. This isn't to say I wouldn't like to see changes to WP7 - I'd love a toggles shortcut for one thing and full cut & paste. But it's now no more or less quirky in what it leaves out/has in than any other major phone platform. It can hold its own quite happily.
    11-25-2011 10:41 AM
    i love windows phone 7, well certain bits of it, in particular Zune music Pass! I was about to sell because lack of functions, but now i discovered zune pass, I now will keep but some basic features that are missing is too annoying..

4. a quick way to change brightness, wifi, mobile data, toggle. - make use of dead black space on the side?? hint hint

5. get on board with a headphone manufacturer and make decent headphones with mic/volume/music control/change tracks/pause etc - a must for any music freak.

8. This is one of my major gripes -> bing maps/bing search integration. not sure what its like in America, but here in Australia, i want to search for say "Kmart Liverpool" it comes up with some wierd results.

for android, I google "Kmart liverpool" the first result will be the address with link to open navigation, a phone number where if i tap it will open dialer, etc.

do it properly or give us google maps/google integration. why are we in Australia treated like 2nd class citizens?

9. have the ability to change the list view to a grid icon view. sick of scrolling through hundreds of apps. ok i can pick the letter, but sometimes i can't remember what the name of the app starts with. sometimes the name is inconsitant. such as "free GPS" ...i would look for "G" not "F" ... results in frustration. more efficint to look at a 4x5 grid. also muscle memory is better with grids than a long list.

11. have the ability to "flick" close the open apps. dont worry i dont think HP wil sue. everyone has ripped it off now LOL

can be very simple to implement toggle. silent, silent +vibrate, or normal volume. its just one more option come on cant be that hard is it?

13. why do we need the dead space? all for a small arrow? why cant we just swipe from right to left to see the app list? if we have this dead space, at least use it for sometime more meaningful than a arrow which rotated from left to right.
    Any of these things you truly think are "dewalbrakers" have yo made these sggesions or voted for them in the ms voting site for thngs to inclkude in the next/future update(s)????????? If not why not do i now? Help those of who are saying and/or dont considere these as a major issu improive the os. Apple did not have everything it has now at day 1 oir after yar1 ye some people think that it sould have beenrelased day one on par with apple os 4.0 and the ( fill in the blankj) iteration of android. To borrow a phgrae from a MS ad seies REALLY?
    11-25-2011 10:49 AM
    Any of these things you truly think are "dewalbrakers" have yo made these sggesions or voted for them in the ms voting site for thngs to inclkude in the next/future update(s)????????? If not why not do i now? Help those of who are saying and/or dont considere these as a major issu improive the os. Apple did not have everything it has now at day 1 oir after yar1 ye some people think that it sould have beenrelased day one on par with apple os 4.0 and the ( fill in the blankj) iteration of android. To borrow a phgrae from a MS ad seies REALLY?
    dealbreakers? individually no, cumulatively yes.

vote? yes i have - there are 1000's of suggestions, to date i have not seen any of them implemented

ios was released in 2006 or whenever, yes they have time to improve it, but MS has had time to see what features are good and not and do there thing too. in some cases have gone backwards from wimo6 to wp7... copy/paste cough cough.

what is inexcusable is when things such as sending contacts is not available in 2011 when it was available in my nokia in 2000, then thats no excuse. you cant tell me doing something like sending contacts is not essential. yes there is app for that. but isn't that going against the MS ethos?

I want Wp7 to suceed but I think customer have voted with there wallets. Keep doing what there doing and I foresee it go down the WebOS path when HTC, samsung desert the platform. Sadly it may result in the death of Nokia.
    11-25-2011 11:06 AM
    I don't think it's missing anything essential at all. Essential for a smartphone would be:
    an essential of a car is 4 wheels, a steering wheel, a chassis, and an engine. i.e u can get around in a go cart if you want.

the essentials of a car that people actually determins whether they buy the car are: comfortable seats, lots of leg room, excellent sound system, low road noise, etc etc

u get my point
    Speebs likes this.
    11-25-2011 11:14 AM
    Yep - the point being exactly the one I made. They're not essentials, they're matters of choice and/or luxury based on what you can afford. I'd love a car with electrically heated seats, but it isn't a dealbreaker for me that my car doesn't have them. That doesn't make them essential though.

I'd love it if WP7 was set up exactly the way I wanted it, but it isn't a dealbreaker for me that it isn't. Ditto my iPad with iOS. No one nails it for everyone all the time, because no one makes bespoke OSs. But to suggest WP7 isn't up there with the rest and is missing a function so core that it's essentially broken is just wrong, because it isn't. People might not buy it because it doesn't suit them - but then plenty of people don't buy android or iOS phones because they don't suit them either.
    Tjarren likes this.
    11-25-2011 11:27 AM
    It depends how you look at it I bought WP because of the phone and socialising features + its fast lets see maybe Tango will add the little features mentioned above it would be nice if the guys at MS gave us little hints of what they are planning to do.
    11-25-2011 11:50 AM
    Never said it was. SRI international created it with 40 years of DARPA research help. Apple does not invent anything. Everyone knows that. They do implement stuff better than just about anyone though and that would be nearly impossible to convince me otherwise.

That is why I like it and am switching. Its new and different. All phones do basically the same thing for me and I will not be limited by app count.
    sounds like you're still a hardcore iOS fanboy.
    how do u figure?
    11-25-2011 12:56 PM

4. a quick way to change brightness, wifi, mobile data, toggle. - make use of dead black space on the side?? hint hint. or a drag down curtain android/ios

14. when we do a search in marketplace the results should indicate which apps we have already installed or we have already previously paid for it.

the only way we know is that we have to click on the app and instead of saying "buy/try" it says "share". this results in unecessary clicks, we should know before we go into the app if we already have it installed.

also have a way to view all previously bought/paid for apps.

yes i know some of these things are my personal opinion, especially the design aspects and i suppose will never get done, but some of these features are just no brainers really and need to get done ASAP!
    1: i am a little surprise that they dint add this in IE mango: phone number being highlighted in blue * click to dial *

2: I honestly dont mind this .. all my old smart phones couldn’t turn it off any ways. i guess it can be a little annoying but not as annoying as trying to unlock your Iphone 4s for 20min .. LOL ...

3:sending contacts , never had to do this in 10 year, i dont see a reason to do it. ( unless i have a contact for myself and i send that to people to prevent them from working )w/e i guess it useful for some .... dunno how it is , but it must be.

4: yeah that would be nice , personally i dotn care lossing 2sec to go into setting , but i see how some people do.

( considering we really on our cell phones to do everything for us, hence why human race = lazy and dumb .. remember the day you knew ALL your contacts by heart? i know i do. now i cant even remember my home phone number. lol )

5:earphones? you can use any head phones in any phone.... you like your Iphone earphones? then use does.( well don’t use does cause they suck lol ).. that’s not even a good reason .. no one has good earphones. Samsung Android or Samsung WP = SAME EARPHONEs , I suggest doing what I did and buying a real pair for 200$+++

6: pay 9`99$ for chev unlock and you got yourself a screen capture.

7: you dont need a PHD , just an IQ of over 50 points. but seriously , we have apps that do it ,
    just like ALL other OS , the APi to be able to amek custom ringtones has been out sints mango ( 1month ) give it one more month and a Competent dev will make a good one. ( we alredy have a phew )

8: bing works AMAZING here in Canada WAY better then google. maybe you guys just have bad support.

9: that’s just a personal choice , you know Iphone uses GRID right? im sure apple would love more Ifans. Or MS could add grids then get sued by apple.. whatever floats your boat.

10: **want the tiles to be 3 wide. 2 wide is just too damm big**.

i have no idea what that means.

11:abillity to flick close apps? why? Closing apps is a thing of the past . just wish people would relies how much better multy task really is on WP compare to other OS.

when apps are in the *background* they dont actually use any memory or battery , closing apps on wp7= no need.

the fact that you have to do it on Android + webos = sucks and I can consider them to be behind cause of it. just like you consider WP to be behind when in reality it actually has a better system . lol

12:whats point of silent + vibrate? when my phone vibrate its pretty silent... unless you’re counting the noise of the vibrating engine in your phone.

13: the *dead space is just part of the UI (who knows maybe its for WP8 feature) , and you can swipe to the right to go to apps . the arrow is just to show you you can swipe. i haven’t click on the arrow once sints i got my phone last year i swipe....

14: it does in ZUNE....

honestly not one of your points would be a deal breaker for ME and don’t affect me at all , and some of your points that you find negative (like closing apps ) is actually a GOOD THING. LOL
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 11-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    sin_nombre773 likes this.
    11-25-2011 03:14 PM

If I'm understanding what you mean in point 10, then I think the two of these kinda go together, and I totally agree with you. Lose the arrow on the start screen, and make the tiles just a bit smaller, and we could have tiles going 3 across instead of just 2.
    11-25-2011 04:21 PM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD