So torn! I love it and I don't love it

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Apparently windows phone users don't really use a smartphone as a smartphone, they just like the pretty UI and smooth scrolling.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Apparently windows phone users don't really use a smartphone as a smartphone, they just like the pretty UI and smooth scrolling.

What is this? I don't even....

Then sell it and get a laggy, buggy android that will be outdated within a year because the newest version won't come to all phones. Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.

Last edited:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

In what way? I use my phone to read and answer emails (three accounts, two linked), check various forums, facebook, twitter, read RSS feeds, act as a wireless access point for my wifi-only iPad when out and about, use maps to find my way around when off to meetings/out for a bike ride, track my runs with Runkeeper, use an app to track when my favourite tv shows are on, check the weather, organise pictures and send them on to my friends/relatives who live in other countries, check wikipedia because I'm a "need to know now" kind of chap, play the occasional game, listen to music, read PDF files for work, use office to check other work files, keep up with news via the BBC app, run auctions via eBay, keep myself organised with evernote syncing back to my iMac and iPad, keep up to date with interesting content in my field with Neurons, read the daily paper with the Guardian app and snag songs I don't recognise with Soundhound. Oh, and the other day I scanned a QR code on the side of a new car seat for my daughter with Bing Vision and it took me straight to a video about how to install it. All, in my case, on a phone I bought from eBay for the absurd price of ?140.

But yeah, you're right - it's *all* about the scrolling ;)

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

A smartphone is a device between dumbphone and desktop computer. Apparently, Windows Phone users use their smartphones exactly as intended, while others want their smartphones to be tiny desktop computers.

I would argue power users should realize they are a very, very small percentage of the overall smartphone user base (look at all the iPhone users) and stop complaining about how the average smartphone lacks features the vast majority of users are never going to use.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would argue power users should realize they are a very, very small percentage of the overall smartphone user base (look at all the iPhone users) and stop complaining about how the average smartphone lacks features the vast majority of users are never going to use.

This. The no. 1 argument I get with Android-owning friends both now and when I had an iPhone is "oh, it's a closed system - Android is open". Yes, and? iOS has better apps, WP7 runs better with much less draconian hardware needs, and both have support levels/longevity that Android owners can only dream of.

All that that openness seems to count for (assuming your carrier/manufacturer lets you root your phone in the first place, otherwise you're stuck with all their preloaded crud and links to walled gardens) is a lack of cohesive design and a requirement to endlessly twiddle with settings/task killers/launchers/replacement core apps to try and get the most out of your device because the software maker and the hardware maker have already moved on to their next phone and don't support your one anymore.

Most people just want their phone to run the apps they need and run them well. End of story.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeap and 95% of Iphone users use it for the UI as well.....

and 50% of people using Smartphone in general dont use it as a data phone.....

3 years ago stores had 2-5 data phones and like 20 regular phones...
now a days 20 Smartphone and 2-5 regular phones...

so OBVIOUSLY allot of people are just following the trend.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Then sell it and get a laggy, buggy android that will be outdated within a year because the newest version won't come to all phones. Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.

To be fair, the first iPhone had a camera :p

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.

iPhones launch about every calendar year. Every other year for style changes, every year for hardware upgrades.
iPhone had a camera on launch.
iPhone had 2g on launch because 3g only had <7% of mobile market.
iPhone has "4G" because the LTE antenna is just huge in most phones. Again, 4GLTE has very small market penetration still so no need in apples eyes to try to fit it into their phones yet.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
thats Android and iOS users u got that all wrong homes

you think it's jealousy? :p I certainly belive so, otherwise, as an iPod touch 4g and Moto Atrix (CM7 nightlies), I completely concurr. "Smooth" and "not stuttering," is NOT something I'd apply to either platform at the time.

Though I also have an iPad 2 that's smoother than my iPod Touch 4G, so my guess is the 256MB of RAM in my poor little iPod Touch is now a limitation :(

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
you think it's jealousy? :p I certainly belive so, otherwise, as an iPod touch 4g and Moto Atrix (CM7 nightlies), I completely concurr. "Smooth" and "not stuttering," is NOT something I'd apply to either platform at the time.

Though I also have an iPad 2 that's smoother than my iPod Touch 4G, so my guess is the 256MB of RAM in my poor little iPod Touch is now a limitation :(

I was referring to Android and iOS users loving to flash around all their pretty icons and fisher price interface.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, kind of like a Windows 95 machine with a Vista overlay that is only half finished.

This is it. It was sin_nombre773's post that made me chuckle, but turned a light on. "A crap PC" actually nails down my feelings towards Android. I mean, each to their own, but I know I wouldn't last a week with one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786