So torn! I love it and I don't love it

agm353

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Well just remember, iPhones are straight jackets, Androids are open hills and Windows Phone is like the limited government in between.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Why do you need to turn off BT and wifi?

I leave mine on 24x7 and haven't noticed any less battery life than when they are off. I know some OSs require you to turn everything off all the time but I don't really think you need to here.

Huge battery life difference on every other phone I've ever owned as regards BT, no big deal on WiFi.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
What is this? I don't even....

Then sell it and get a laggy, buggy android that will be outdated within a year because the newest version won't come to all phones. Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.
You sound butthurt.

Android phones nowadays have dual core processors and most have at least a year until manufacturers stop supporting them.

Then again, manufacturers are now allowing their phones bootloaders to be unlocked you can update them with custom ROMs as they get released.

Ex. The Nexus One that came out nearly 2 years ago can run Gingerbread ROMs smoothly. Check YouTube for proof.

Android isn't laggy. If it was most of us would've ditched it. And every OS lags at some points. When I had my HD7 not long ago, the YouTube app it came with was slow and choppy. So were a lot of apps in the market.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Android requires much more processing power to run effectively, relative to WP7, and even iOS. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You sound butthurt.

Android phones nowadays have dual core processors and most have at least a year until manufacturers stop supporting them.

Then again, manufacturers are now allowing their phones bootloaders to be unlocked you can update them with custom ROMs as they get released.

Ex. The Nexus One that came out nearly 2 years ago can run Gingerbread ROMs smoothly. Check YouTube for proof.

Android isn't laggy. If it was most of us would've ditched it. And every OS lags at some points. When I had my HD7 not long ago, the YouTube app it came with was slow and choppy. So were a lot of apps in the market.

Honestly, you sound more butthurt than anyone.

Android is laggy! This is not a debate, but an easily researched reality. This is a major reason for running a custom rom, to HELP alleviate the lagginess. The custom roms eliminate some services to help reduce the lag. The real problem is not that simple. The lagginess stems from the fact that the UI is not hardware accellerated. WP7 and iOS both HW accellerate their UI elements. Because of this, WP7 and iOS perform better on less hardware. ICS (or Android 4.0) is supposed to alleviate this missing optimization. We shall see.

With Android, you NEED more hardware. This is a simple truth. Nothing you, or I, or anyone else here says will change that. It is poorly optimized in many aspects. Is this the end of the world for Android? No, it is just the reason why it feels laggy. How often it feels this way is largely dependent on how one uses an Android device. Certain areas are more laggy than others.

IMO, WP7 does not need custom roms. The ability to sideload apps is already accomplished.

Saying an app is laggy is one thing, with Android it is the UI as a whole that is laggy.

Before you make any statements about me being a ******, here is a list of devices I have had this year:

Personal:
Samsung Focus
SE Xperia X10
Motorola Atrix 4G
HTC HD7s
LG Thrill 4G
Samsung Galaxy SII
Focus Flash

Work:
Samsung Fascinate
iPhone 4

So, as you should be able to see, I have experienced these three platforms rather extensively. All the Android devices had lag at some level. The Thrill 4G and GSII were the least laggy of the Android devices. I also had custom ROMs on all the Android devices. So, OEM support may not be much of a concern to someone like me, but to the average user it is much more important. This is an area where Android is the worst of the three platforms.

heda_p

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
excellent appreciate you sharing this....good for any newbee for a good start:)

To add :

Try GOT NEWS best implementation of metro interface, allow you to add your own RSS feeds, very well organized, after using this all other readers are kinda down feel....

In what way? I use my phone to read and answer emails (three accounts, two linked), check various forums, facebook, twitter, read RSS feeds, act as a wireless access point for my wifi-only iPad when out and about, use maps to find my way around when off to meetings/out for a bike ride, track my runs with Runkeeper, use an app to track when my favourite tv shows are on, check the weather, organise pictures and send them on to my friends/relatives who live in other countries, check wikipedia because I'm a "need to know now" kind of chap, play the occasional game, listen to music, read PDF files for work, use office to check other work files, keep up with news via the BBC app, run auctions via eBay, keep myself organised with evernote syncing back to my iMac and iPad, keep up to date with interesting content in my field with Neurons, read the daily paper with the Guardian app and snag songs I don't recognise with Soundhound. Oh, and the other day I scanned a QR code on the side of a new car seat for my daughter with Bing Vision and it took me straight to a video about how to install it. All, in my case, on a phone I bought from eBay for the absurd price of ?140.

But yeah, you're right - it's *all* about the scrolling ;)

heda_p

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I see others have already answered though wanted to share my exp for same issues in context with IOS: (just 4 days with first WP device and i am loving/hating it)

1. Navigation try navigon it costs $50 but does exactly what TOM TOM does on IOS

2. same as IOS everything in hidden under deep menus

3. same as IOS

4. my LG HBS700 just do fine for start/stop/skip/fwd music, though for video/TV playlist its not doing next/prev mostly because it allows fwd/rew in place of that (i would love to see a long press on fwd/rew cause it togo next song and support video playlist) Sonce most of my collection is music video's i just hate not to see this feature in WP7....

But in car where I have car with external bluetooth adaptor (use line in, comes with remote) and a separae BT speaker, I was surprised to see music was playing on car sterio and when a call comes i was able to pick up on my BT speaker by just pressing a button on speaker

this works fine where i see diff is in IOS that time music will stop when i pick call through BT speakerphone and after call music resumes to car stereo....this did not happen in wp7 and i had to pause manually with my BT adaptor remote...(this needs a fix) though using adaptor i was able to move to next video songs as well (Video was not displayed though only audio in you click next on BT adaptor remote)

I am still exploring it, though i feel at this point i started music vis BT adaptor remore thats why it continued playing as audio playlist (even though its TV playlist)

5. as mentioned before click on left phone icon (same steps as iphone)

6. call volume is levelled from 1-10 while rest of the phone volume is 1-30, and it retains its value as well....while talking change the volume and stop call music will continue to play at old level

7. I have yet to learn this one ...though all diff type of messages are in messages icon thus put that in top to see it....IOS does a better job here to display, WP7 does a better job in terms of keeping all diff type of messafges in one window....

8. i want this one too...atleast allow it to change it upto 30 sec max

1) Navigation - tap to navigate, no notification right before turn, map more outdated than google
2) No one-touch toggle of BT, WiFi - even the app out there only takes you to the property page
3) No notification LED (have to turn phone on to see if any notifications - I know this isn't on all android phones)
4) No advanced BT options (turn on/off media/phone connection) - on android I can have it send phone calls through BT and all other media through phone speaker - this made it easy to take calls while driving and still listen to the radio or CD through car and navigation directions from phone speaker
5) No one-touch calling - maybe I am just not doing something right
6) No separate volume for ringer/other audio
7) Notifications disappear after a while - so, if you miss them then you may never know a particular event happened
8) Have option for screen to not timeout only when connected/charging via USB

I'm a big MS fan, been an MVP and beta tester since 1994. I want to love this OS more than android, and I do as far as UI, smoothness, etc. But there are a few really basic things that are missing and just don't make sense to not be there. Is there any word on these things being rectified?

I can hold out a couple more months, but definitely not another year or two.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, you sound more butthurt than anyone.

Android is laggy! This is not a debate, but an easily researched reality. This is a major reason for running a custom rom, to HELP alleviate the lagginess. The custom roms eliminate some services to help reduce the lag. The real problem is not that simple. The lagginess stems from the fact that the UI is not hardware accellerated. WP7 and iOS both HW accellerate their UI elements. Because of this, WP7 and iOS perform better on less hardware. ICS (or Android 4.0) is supposed to alleviate this missing optimization. We shall see.

With Android, you NEED more hardware. This is a simple truth. Nothing you, or I, or anyone else here says will change that. It is poorly optimized in many aspects. Is this the end of the world for Android? No, it is just the reason why it feels laggy. How often it feels this way is largely dependent on how one uses an Android device. Certain areas are more laggy than others.

IMO, WP7 does not need custom roms. The ability to sideload apps is already accomplished.

Saying an app is laggy is one thing, with Android it is the UI as a whole that is laggy.

Before you make any statements about me being a ******, here is a list of devices I have had this year:

Personal:
Samsung Focus
SE Xperia X10
Motorola Atrix 4G
HTC HD7s
LG Thrill 4G
Samsung Galaxy SII
Focus Flash

Work:
Samsung Fascinate
iPhone 4

So, as you should be able to see, I have experienced these three platforms rather extensively. All the Android devices had lag at some level. The Thrill 4G and GSII were the least laggy of the Android devices. I also had custom ROMs on all the Android devices. So, OEM support may not be much of a concern to someone like me, but to the average user it is much more important. This is an area where Android is the worst of the three platforms.

I'm not butthurt but it sure seems like you are.

Android might be laggy if you're using a device with the old MotoBlur or Touchwiz but all the newer phones out this year running Gingerbread are snappy. My Sensation 4G is just as smooth as my HD7 was (minus the unnecessary animations) yet a lot faster.

No ******, just stating facts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPeqPEeTIls
^ That is ICS beta running smooth on the Nexus S which has the same hardware as any typical Windows Phone out now. So you were saying?

I'm pretty sure if you showed ICS and Mango to the average person, they'd probably prefer ICS.

Windows Phone isn't bad but it seems like an iOS wannabe to me. Good OS but not as good as Android imo. I do hope that Microsoft overtakes BlackBerry in sales some day and doesn't ditch it like they did Windows Mobile.

Last edited:

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not butthurt but it sure seems like you are.

Android might be laggy if you're using a device with the old MotoBlur or Touchwiz but all the newer phones out this year running Gingerbread are snappy. My Sensation 4G is just as smooth as my HD7 was (minus the unnecessary animations) yet a lot faster.

No ******, just stating facts.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Review (Nexus S) - YouTube
^ That is ICS beta running smooth on the Nexus S which has the same hardware as any typical Windows Phone out now. So you were saying?

I'm pretty sure if you showed ICS and Mango to the average person, they'd probably prefer ICS.

Windows Phone isn't bad but it seems like an iOS wannabe to me. Good OS but not as good as Android imo. I do hope that Microsoft overtakes BlackBerry in sales some day and doesn't ditch it like they did Windows Mobile.

jaja are u kidding me? Android is more of an iOS wannabe than anything, they have also took some elements from WP and put it into ICS so please realize how ludicrous ur point is.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What is this? I don't even....

Then sell it and get a laggy, buggy android that will be outdated within a year because the newest version won't come to all phones. Better yet, go get an iPhone that will be outdated in 7 months because a new one will come out. It will be the same exact phone last version but they will add something silly and act like it's a whole new phone. How long has 4G been out and how long has the iPhone been out? How long did phones have cameras before the iPhone finally added one? How long was 3G out before the iPhone released a 3G model? Slowly adding features and making you pay premium dollar for technology that has existed for years.

Sorry, I can't let that go unanswered. iPhone 4 had the premier phone status for nearly a year and a half, the previous models had a full year. The iPhone in every incarnation has always had a camera. The 3G model iPhone was released in 2008 as that is when coverage for 3G was acceptable and uniform, not spotty and fragmented. Much like 4G is now, a proverbial hodge podge of different definitions of what 4G actually is in so few areas it does not matter. If you want to make the argument of slowly adding features and making you pay top dollar for them, then you cannot ignore MS who's new phones are not providing you any new technology; no dual core processors, some offer super screens, spotty availability of FFC, one model featuring 4G, no NFC.... etc... The only thing new is a couple of tweaked and logoed handsets originally designed for Android or Meego with an addition of Mango software. All while still charging top dollar.

I love my iPhone 4S, as I love my Omnia WP. Show me a WP with as good or better of a camera cable of shooting 1080P, has anything even remotely as cool as Siri, and can best the dual core processor and graphics capability of my 4S and I promise you I will retire my iPhone and run with a second WP instead.

Until that day, I have to run 2 phones as I do not feel I would be happy with only the WP experience at this point. It's still very feature lacking.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wp will not shoot 1080p till it gets DC. No other OS with a SC could shoot 1080p either. Even iPhone only did 720p last year.

Siri si definitely the best voice integration of all when it works as it should. But for social integration nothing beats WP. Show me any iPhone with anything even remotely as cool as WP social integration and I will ditch WP and run a second i device instead. Same stupid one feature comparison that is useless but completely biased towards showing one platform as superior.

I know, your excuse will be that you do not use social stuff so its not important to you. Well I dont talk to my phone unless I am talking to someone. I dont talk to my phone so that it can text my friends. I call them. One reason I dont need siri. Only thing I really liked about iOS5 is the location based reminders.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I can't let that go unanswered. iPhone 4 had the premier phone status for nearly a year and a half, the previous models had a full year. The iPhone in every incarnation has always had a camera. The 3G model iPhone was released in 2008 as that is when coverage for 3G was acceptable and uniform, not spotty and fragmented. Much like 4G is now, a proverbial hodge podge of different definitions of what 4G actually is in so few areas it does not matter. If you want to make the argument of slowly adding features and making you pay top dollar for them, then you cannot ignore MS who's new phones are not providing you any new technology; no dual core processors, some offer super screens, spotty availability of FFC, one model featuring 4G, no NFC.... etc... The only thing new is a couple of tweaked and logoed handsets originally designed for Android or Meego with an addition of Mango software. All while still charging top dollar.

I love my iPhone 4S, as I love my Omnia WP. Show me a WP with as good or better of a camera cable of shooting 1080P, has anything even remotely as cool as Siri, and can best the dual core processor and graphics capability of my 4S and I promise you I will retire my iPhone and run with a second WP instead.

Until that day, I have to run 2 phones as I do not feel I would be happy with only the WP experience at this point. It's still very feature lacking.

guess u like buying into gimmicks then because that's all siri is. TellME works just as good in most cases. How is mango feature lacking compared to iOS? There's still quite a bit of things in iOS that u need to launch an app for.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
HTC's have notification lights. Check out the Titan. If you still have < 30 days since you bought it you can take it back and exchange it.
Pin your favorite contacts to the start screen to dial quickly.. Not one-touch.. but still only 2 touches.
There are second party apps that can take you straight to toggle BT and Wifi options

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Do a search for Siri Argument....
Thank you, but Tell me works decently for me on my HTC Arrive.

Watched the video of the ported Android ICS and the first comment the guy makes is that some of the things just don't work presumably because its not an official release on an official device. Other comments he makes with genuine surprise in his voice are about the smoothness and speed of the new OS responses - hmmmm, could that translate to the very real observation that Android is notorious for laggy, slow responses - regardless of their dual core processors?

WP7 Mango is fluid, speedy, reliable, multi-faceted, functional and all without being rooted, or having a custom ROM installed.

Hmmm, imagine that, an OS that works without the end user having to patch it, tweak it, root it, flash it, or doctor it!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Siri is not a gimmick. Sorry but it is much more advanced and integrated than tellme.

Well, one could say they're both gimmicks. ;)

In all honestly, I like voice recognition and I look forward to seeing Tellme advance to the point where you can access an app (calender for example) and input, just from one sentence. That's where Siri is at, and there's no question that Tellme is going to have to step up to the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte