no-keee-ah or knock-i-yah?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just watched that PhoneDog review of the Lumia 800. Does everyone in the US pronounce Nokia like he does? I'm pretty sure the Finns pronounce it knock-i-yah.

I bet HTC never have this issue! :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think most of Europe calls it 'nock i yah' but you know what these yanks are like, they call aluminium, aluminum LOL ;)

Then of course there's Tomaahtoe and Tomaytoe, i'm sure there are plenty more.

Bless em! :)

Last edited:

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
well I noticed in some camera reviews that in Europe Nikon is pronounced Nick-on where in America its N-eye-con.

Is the T silent in the word "often"?

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Funny you say that about HTC because I just noticed when watching all the video reviews that the British (I think) say it HAYTCH TEE SEE whereas us Americans say AYTCH TEE SEE, leaving off that beginning H sound.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i dont say HTC like that ...... i say .* H . T . C * LMAO!.....

pronunciation is part of First grade here in Canada , Some country seem to skip that part of Education? LMAO! ;)

its like the letter Z , in canada we say : ZEE , in the USA they say: ZED

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The English (Spit, boo hiss, etc etc) ;) tend to say Haitch, while in Scotland it's an aitch. :)

We sure are bringing out the Internationalisation on WPC today. :)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
well I noticed in some camera reviews that in Europe Nikon is pronounced Nick-on where in America its N-eye-con.
I have heard Knee-con before, not Nick-on. I have only heard N-eye-con in USA though.

Us Canadians say: NO-KI-AAH!!!! lol

Isnt it NO-KI-AAH-Eh :D

its like the letter Z , in canada we say : ZEE , in the USA they say: ZED

ZED is british I thought. Its Zee in every part of USA I have been. Where did you hear ZED in USA?

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I love when people try to 'correct' how something is said. Someone did that to me about Asus not but a few weeks ago. I just stopped talking and said "did you get what I was saying?" They said yes. So I said "quit interrupting like a jackass and listen then."

I got great customer service after that. :p

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing about Nokia and HTC. "nock-ee-ah" and "aych-tee-see" both sounds funny to me. Im no English major (obviously), but im pretty sure to correctly pronounce Nokia in English (American English) is actually no-key-a with a strong O. If it was spelled nokkia or nockia, we would say it like the Europeans, "nock-ee-ah".

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Funny you say that about HTC because I just noticed when watching all the video reviews that the British (I think) say it HAYTCH TEE SEE whereas us Americans say AYTCH TEE SEE, leaving off that beginning H sound.

It's actually hONG-tA-shIEN. Or something close to that. I'm sure others could romanize it from mandarin much better.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing about Nokia and HTC. "nock-ee-ah" and "aych-tee-see" both sounds funny to me. Im no English major (obviously), but im pretty sure to correctly pronounce Nokia in English (American English) is actually no-key-a with a strong O. If it was spelled nokkia or nockia, we would say it like the Europeans, "nock-ee-ah".

Well seeing as it's a name rather than a generic term, strictly speaking the correct way to pronounce it is how it's pronounced in its original language regardless of where you are. :)

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Well seeing as it's a name rather than a generic term, strictly speaking the correct way to pronounce it is how it's pronounced in its original language regardless of where you are. :)

That could be a marketing failure on Nokia's part then. In Canada, they called Mazda Mazz Duh. In America it is Moz duh. Mazda themselves do this when marketing in one country vs the other.

If anyone here is old enough to remember when Hyundai came to America (I am), they originally stated that the correct pronunciation was Yun dye. However, it is Hun dye that stuck, and that is how it is marketed.

I guess my point is that a manufacturer doesn't care how you pronounce their name, as long as you buy their products! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786