Gmail: Outlook vs Google

hbananas

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, new to the forums as well as a WP7 user.

I came from an iPhone and still have it. Giving the OG Focus and WP7.5 a shot and see if I feel any limitations or legit reasons to go back. Loving everything so far. Definitely enjoying the totally different UI. Only thing I find a little lacking is the music player and audio quality but that's a different story.

Anyway, one thing I noticed this morning was that my gmail was slightly delayed. I set up my gmail accounts through the "Google" option in the Accounts settings (with frequency set to 'as items arrive' also). On the iPhone, there was also an option to set up gmail through Google or Exchange, in which I used the Exchange option for true push. I have now done this on my Focus and will see if I get better email push.

What email option do you guys use? If gmail, do you use the Google or Outlook (Exchange) settings option and why?

Thanks!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I use gmail with as items arrive. I can have my browser open to gmail and get the notification on my phone almost at the exact same time as I do in the browser.

MachoDonut

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
How do you setup Gmail through exchange on the iphone?

Add an Exchange account and use m.google.com as the Exchange server. Otherwise it's just like adding any other Exchange account.

Setting it up as a Google account on iOS doesn't get you push. It was more of a choice before iOS was able to support more than one Exchange account.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Cool. Wish I could reorganize the order of my mail accounts. Now my Gmail is at the bottom and its still my current default on my iphone. Wont matter too much on sunday when I upgrade to a Titan I guess.

hbananas

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I use gmail with as items arrive. I can have my browser open to gmail and get the notification on my phone almost at the exact same time as I do in the browser.

Yeah this was the reason I am now setting my gmail to use Exchange. I had gmail on my web browser opened and the email went to browser first, then to the phone maybe about 30 seconds to a minute later. When I had my iPhone, the iPhone would get it the same time or at times even earlier.

Hoping gmail via Exchange is faster. I know a few seconds delay or minute delay might not be much, but guess I got used to it on the old phone. And I'm glad it's supported in my mango phone.

:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077