WP hardware is frustrating

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
2nd Gen phones are out, and the phones released in the states are killing my WP buzz. The os is so awesome, but the phones running it are sub par.

And I'm NOT talking from the FFC, processors, 4g/LTE, etc perspective. Mango runs really well without needing that.

I'm talking about the Focus S keyboard lag, audio popping, low volume, overly sensitive camera buttons and that kind of thing. I've been reading the Titan has technical issues too. How can a software update ne needed before a camera works well on the phone. Don't they test them?

This is so frustrating because the OS deserves better.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Last edited:

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't even type a full screen if txt in the Board Wxpress app now. My Focus S lost its data connection yesterday, and tech support in the store and on the phone can't get it back. Apparently it's a Samsung software glitch.

This is why I'm returning it and going back to my Focus for now. Even though ios is outdated, my apple hardware, at least individually, never had these issues. If Mango could be loaded on an iPhone, and have a 4" screen, ot would be the perfect phone. Begrudge apple for all you want, but from the design perspective, you have to admit they make great products.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
If I had $800 extra, I would spend it on an unlocked Lumia 800. Having just won a phone of the of the year award, it looks like Nokia is the only WP OEM who gets it. Even without a ffc camera, it is the premiere WP IMHO at the moment. Especially since a firmware upgrade will address the camera quality.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Been looking at those on eBay. My Focus is great. Other than low audio, its been a great phone. Better than the new ones in terms of performance.

Mangos taste better than apples!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
oohhhh... the N8. Was jealous of a coworker from China that had one. Though when I saw it, I was still rocking a Moto RAZR (and I meant the V3xx kind, not the Droid variant :p).

My Nokia N8 is still my primary phone. My HTC Trophy is my work phone. I am sure Nokia will come out with a WP next summer to match my N8 and i'll get it Then my N8 goes on eBay.

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
I have to say my Trophy on Verizon has been good. Can't say as I have any serious complaints.

The only issue I've had is that since the mango update there seems to be something odd about networking. If I try to stream a video, it seems to start off just fine and then hang up. Very odd. Didn't happen with nodo. I'm guessing it is an OS problem since it didn't happen before. Makes me sad with netflix unfortunately...

paoarchi15

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to say my Trophy on Verizon has been good. Can't say as I have any serious complaints.

The only issue I've had is that since the mango update there seems to be something odd about networking. If I try to stream a video, it seems to start off just fine and then hang up. Very odd. Didn't happen with nodo. I'm guessing it is an OS problem since it didn't happen before. Makes me sad with netflix unfortunately...

I agree, never had any problem with Trophy. It's weird that the newer phones are the one who's getting such complaints.

Also, Its odd you're having such problem because i can stream videos just fine in YouTube and Netflix.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I agree, never had any problem with Trophy. It's weird that the newer phones are the one who's getting such complaints.

Also, Its odd you're having such problem because i can stream videos just fine in YouTube and Netflix.

It is odd seeing complaints about the newer ones.

I stream YouTube and SPB TV on my Trophy at home on WiFi and haven't had any issues. I've never tried Netflix though.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
ive got no issues with my HD7, check it out. (and it was free from t-mobile)

The HD7 has the bug that makes the keyboard close while typing.

It also has terrible battery life and the audio quality is aweful. Tin sound and hissing out the back speakers with low volume, and hissing with an earbud set plugged in. The sound was the part of this phone I didn't expect to be bad (I have chargers everywhere so the battery while bad is combatable) .

Grantes if you're not big into media playback on your phone the sound issues may not matter. Zune subscription music is unlistenable in it, though, and theblow volume and hissing affects calls as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Been looking at those on eBay. My Focus is great. Other than low audio, its been a great phone. Better than the new ones in terms of performance.

Mangos taste better than apples!

The low audio has to be a software issue, cause too many phones have it - unless Microsoft tells the OEMs which audio CODECs to use...

This was recorded on my iPod so the volume difference isn't so dramatic in the video, but I didn't even use an EQ on the Vibrant and there is an obvious big difference in clarity and audio quality. The hiss from the HD7 isn't discernable cause the iPod brings in enough noise anyways. I need a third high end phone for this stuff lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ial56uyIPuE

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The HD7 has the bug that makes the keyboard close while typing.

It also has terrible battery life and the audio quality is aweful. Tin sound and hissing out the back speakers with low volume, and hissing with an earbud set plugged in. The sound was the part of this phone I didn't expect to be bad (I have chargers everywhere so the battery while bad is combatable) .

Grantes if you're not big into media playback on your phone the sound issues may not matter. Zune subscription music is unlistenable in it, though, and theblow volume and hissing affects calls as well.

The only of these issues I've had on my HD7 is the closing keyboard.
At the inner circle event tonight i brought it up to multiple WP employees.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The only of these issues I've had on my HD7 is the closing keyboard.
At the inner circle event tonight i brought it up to multiple WP employees.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

The other issues you might not even notice if you're used to bad sound unless you use another device (galaxy s, idevice, maybe even a Zune) with a better audio codex in it.

I hada vibrant for almost 6 months when I got my HD7. The low volume and noise in the tinny sound output were evident immediately.

Its hard to go back to terrible sound after you've tastes incredible sound.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The other issues you might not even notice if you're used to bad sound unless you use another device (galaxy s, idevice, maybe even a Zune) with a better audio codex in it.

I hada vibrant for almost 6 months when I got my HD7. The low volume and noise in the tinny sound output were evident immediately.

Its hard to go back to terrible sound after you've tastes incredible sound.

Mirrors the issues I have on the Focus S. I've had the unfortunate luck to have 4 flavors of Galaxy, the Galaxy S (well, to be fair, it was a family member's unit...), Galaxy SII (TW version), Focus, Focus S. One thing is evident: the audio quality of the Galaxy SII/Focus S is noticeably worse than the Galaxy S/Focus. I don't know if the Galaxy SII was fixed later on, as I left that device back home (and home is far away :().

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly have not been happier with a device than I am with the Focus Flash. I love the look, feel, performance, and bug-freeness so far. I had the Focus and HD7s prior to this device. I also had the Galaxy S II and I prefer the Flash. I just think it has the best overall feel to it.

My only real complaint is why they don't offer a 16GB version. This is not a deal-breaker for me, but it definitely is for some. The GPS is the best of any device I have used.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre