Life After Having WP7

jsfranke

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I had been going through piece of crap phones for several years, before I decided that a smart phone would be well worth the investment for what I want to do in life (business). For about a month I had researched extensively on what OS to get, not necessarily the phone, and then after I select the OS I would get the phone from there (I am more concerned about the software than the hardware).

I decided that WP7 sounded extremely enticing, and with a company like Microsoft backing it I felt that they were going to be updating it quite often and pushing it extensively to compete with Android and iOS. I decided to charge forward with the revolution than wait it out so I picked up a Samsung Focus.

8 months later I was still in love with my phone. Mango kept everything fresh and I felt like I was having a whole new experience. The lack of apps didnt bother me, because I felt everything else was quality and being huge on fitness WP7 had the best fitness app I've ever used (Livescape, I HIGHLY recommend it).

Then, an unfortunate series of events took place which led to my phone being cracked. Reluctant, I walked in to my local AT&T store to get the insurance number and realized I could use a family members upgrade in December (they had just gotten a new phone off contract). I figured that waiting 3 weeks would be fine and the deductible could just go towards my next WP7 device.

How WRONG I was. This iphone 3GS is utterly terrible. Im used to side scrolling and a uniquely organized main screen, not many various icons. I was so used to holding down something and having EVERY single option come up then and there. I guess the simplicity of WP7, even for a tech guy like me is what drew me in. My anal retentiveness has been getting the best of me, with each passing day me missing my phone mroe and more.

Meanwhile, my friend offered to pay the deductible if i sold him the new Focus, I have been getting nothing but texts about how "right" I was about how amazing WP7 really is. #jealous.

I always seem to tell people if they gave WP7 a chance over iOS or Android they won't regret it, now I can say that from my experience there is no better operating system out right now.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I concurr on the "try it to believe it," line. It's sort of like the MS Mojave project, IMO, where MS had to trick people into using Vista, otherwise, all they would do is believe the Apple ads or other negative press on Vista. The biggest reason why several (!) people I know don't want to try WP7 is because of bad experiences with WinMo :(

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I chose WinMo as my first smartphone platform at a time when I thought I wanted to mimic computer functionality in my phone. When I realized it wasn't providing the mobile experience I thought I should be getting, I also realized that Android wasn't going to be an acceptable replacement. Enter WP7...

iPhone could theoretically be a contender, but I hate the lack of hardware choice, and there's something about Apple's ecosystem that rubs me the wrong way...

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I chose WinMo as my first smartphone platform at a time when I thought I wanted to mimic computer functionality in my phone. When I realized it wasn't providing the mobile experience I thought I should be getting, I also realized that Android wasn't going to be an acceptable replacement. Enter WP7...

iPhone could theoretically be a contender, but I hate the lack of hardware choice, and there's something about Apple's ecosystem that rubs me the wrong way...

Lol, I love Apple, and would of bought an iPhone 4 (I don't like the 4S for some reason!?), but the small screen is actually a turnoff. High resolution, low screen real estate. Sort of how I prefer 14" 1366x768 display over 11.6" 1366x768 display :(

That, and except for sharper texts, I feel the 3.5" display forced Apple to basically waste space on the ultra-high resolution of the Retina display.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol, I love Apple, and would of bought an iPhone 4 (I don't like the 4S for some reason!?), but the small screen is actually a turnoff. High resolution, low screen real estate. Sort of how I prefer 14" 1366x768 display over 11.6" 1366x768 display :(

I heard an interesting point the other day that the iPhone screen size was kept at 3.5 inches not only so the expense of a larger retina display didn't make the handset cost a zillion pounds, but also because it's a size where - for an average-sized adult hand - all parts of the screen can be reached with your thumb while the phone's being held. i.e. completely one-handed operation is comfortably possible.

Given how obsessive Steve Jobs was, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were completely true.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I heard an interesting point the other day that the iPhone screen size was kept at 3.5 inches not only so the expense of a larger retina display didn't make the handset cost a zillion pounds, but also because it's a size where - for an average-sized adult hand - all parts of the screen can be reached with your thumb while the phone's being held. i.e. completely one-handed operation is comfortably possible.

Given how obsessive Steve Jobs was, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were completely true.

Good point. I would like to bring up, the iPhone display is among the most "fat" aspect ratios. 960x640 (~ 16:11 or something around that). Vs the common qHD on android phones of 960x540 (16:9). Also vs the 800x480 (~16:9.5).

So maybe if they made the screen narrower and taller, it would be "larger MOAR INCHEZ," lol :p Based on rough quesstimate math, it's about the same area as an 3.8" 800x480 display, and nearly the same surface area as a 960x540 4" display :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My cell phone happiness was at a all time low when I broke my Focus and had to use a Palm Pre. It was the ****tyest three weeks of my cell phone life. Thank GOD for eBay.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Totally not what I was speaking about :D

But yeah, I do feel WP7 is much better out of the box. For my use, it's unmatched by any other mobile OS I have used.

TV output , BT audio control, 4G , duel-core , ( starting to need this , games are starting to lchop lol ) ..ect...

some extra features still missing huh?!? :(

all thes things should catch up in the next generations hopefully.. ( if THATS what you where talking about ) hehe

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
TV output , BT audio control, 4G , duel-core , ( starting to need this , games are starting to lchop lol ) ..ect...

some extra features still missing huh?!? :(

all thes things should catch up in the next generations hopefully.. ( if THATS what you where talking about ) hehe

Oh, no, :p I'm almost 100% Music, corp email, and web browsing here :( (music may of been abetted by Zune HD purchase a few years back to replace semi-broken iPod touch).

I dunno why I'm not working right now, I have soo much to do, so little time.... ttfn!

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

That, and except for sharper texts, I feel the 3.5" display forced Apple to basically waste space on the ultra-high resolution of the Retina display.

I have an iPhone 4 as my work phone. I am not going to say I hate everything about it, but there are many things about the iPhone that I severely dislike. However, the size of the screen would not be a big deal if it had a better aspect ratio. I actually prefer a device that I can use completely one handed. I have had the Focus (4"), Atrix (4"), HD7s (4.3"), Galaxy SII (4.3"), and now the Focus Flash (3.7"). I prefer the 4" or smaller devices. I do a lot of texting and I prefer to hold the phone one handed while typing. I do not have small hands, and can one-hand type on the larger screens but my accuracy suffers big time on the larger displays. I also like the better pixel density of smaller displays at the same or higher resolutions.

On a side note, I replaced my 15.6" laptop with an 11.6" Samsung ultralight laptop. The small size of the notebook is great for those times when I really need a portable work environment. I have a desktop at work and at home so this works well for me.

I completely believe this was a major factor, however, I believe the remaining factor was app compatibility. If they increase the screen size, without increasing the resolution, they would lose their coveted Retina label. If they increase the screen size and resolution, they risk having app compatibility issues.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely believe this was a major factor, however, I believe the remaining factor was app compatibility. If they increase the screen size, without increasing the resolution, they would lose their coveted Retina label. If they increase the screen size and resolution, they risk have app compatibility issues.

I think at 4", they still are above 300PPI. Though it would be... wide, lol. I think I noted somewhere in another thread about how... wide the iPhone display aspect ratio is. So much that the actual space is near that of a qHD 4" device!

jsfranke

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow I can feel the Windows Phone love in this thread. :D

Why I joined the forums bro! :D

iphone is a quality phone but we have to remember that the reason we all love windows is because it isn't like iOS.

-The cluttered apps
-Apple's BS marketing schemes (Mango made my focus run faster and better, where as newer versions of iOS make older iphones obsolete.)
-WP7 is more user friendly, everything you want you can get to relatively easily, and the layout is just much more intuitive.
-Selection on what to get. Don't want a good camera but want a good screen? Or maybe you're big on music and want a dolby speaker? With WP7 you HAVE that option.

I really feel Microsoft cares about the consumer more, and thats their scheme to take WP7 to the top.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I think at 4", they still are above 300PPI. Though it would be... wide, lol. I think I noted somewhere in another thread about how... wide the iPhone display aspect ratio is. So much that the actual space is near that of a qHD 4" device!

Well, I can tell you that my iPhone 4 and Focus Flash are nearly identical in overall dimensions. All dimensions. So they could have used a widescreen format and maintained the same form factor. To me, there is a lot of wasted space on the face of the iPhone.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My cell phone happiness was at a all time low when I broke my Focus and had to use a Palm Pre. It was the ****tyest three weeks of my cell phone life. Thank GOD for eBay.

better then me , i got my FOCUS stolen earlyer this eyar and had to go back to my OMNIA 2 wm6.5 ,, GOD.... lol .. i had much rather a PLAM pre ( but i sold it to my sister :( )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb