Dual vs Single Core Conversations: STOP. THEM. NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This drains the battery in my head: Dual vs Single Core Talk: STOP. IT. NOW.

I put up a post about an awesome feature of WP (SkyDrive, edited a power point on my point, thought it was cool), and the conversation turned into:

1) "Well, if no one knows about this feature, its because MS is **** bent on never advertising so we can all continue to bang our heads against a wall asking why they don't, and that we hate apple fan boys because their phones are awesome but their OS sucks mangos and we have sub par devices because no one wants to ever be happy again and it makes us sad as human beings because now we can't sit in a coffee shop in black pants with matching turtleneck and beret with uber trimmed mustache waiting to get on the mic for a spoken word contest that we know we'll lose."
2) "Dual core phones are better, Android has them. NO DUAL CORE SUCKS WE DON'T NEED THEM. WHATTAYOUMEANWEDON'TNEED THEM???"

While I completely respect the amount of effort it had to take to insert the super colorful grafs (which had tremendously rich colors that would've made a crayola box jealous for sure) to illustrate your occupy WPCentral stance, honestly, WHO. THE. ****. CARES?

Before you get all "WHATDOYOUMEANWHOTHE####CARES????" on me:
1) Does WP need dual core at this time to function at a very high level? NO.
2) Does it eat up more battery? Apparently yes, apparently no, which = who cares that's why we have charges at home, in the car and the ability to buy an extra battery.

3) Yes at this point in time we are all VERY, NAUSEATINGLY, aware of the fact Android phones have them. So, do we really need to revive this dead horse only to pummel it senseless again? I.M.H.O. NO!!

4) Will future iterations of WP need them? We don't know yet, and my guess is the only people that do work in Redmond, WA. So, if you really want to know, here's how to get more information on "the precious":

- buy a plane ticket to Seattle (I'm guessing closest airport)
- make friends with someone who works at MS, or better yet, get a job there so we can all get discounts on a phone.
- sign an NDA, but do it with your fingers crossed so you can leak info to us.
- go in there and talk to the engineers
- at which point in time, you will have definitive knowledge as to whether or not Apollo requires dual core processors.

Until that time. STOP. WITH. THE. "MARSHA, MARSHA, MARSH" nonsense with the # of cores in a phone.

I will even offer up this advice:
Enjoy the fact that you aren't using a dated, buggy, fragmented, malware infested, BORING POS OS that sucks. If you have a WP regardless of who makes it, aren't we all essentially wearing the same laundry out on the field? Seinfeld does a great bit on the fact that we root for laundry btw, youtube it.

I'm going to check out the Titan today, and I will promptly come back and tell you guys:

1) Why it sucks because it doesn't have a dual core processor to make friends with that camp.

2) I will then proceed to maliciously stab those people in the back by saying it is an awesome phone that doesn't need one.

There, how do like them Mangos??

Last edited:

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Dual core sucks...right....

So when Windows Phone 7 eventually takes advantage of dual core processors you'll avoid them at all costs and rather use single core phones.

lol

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Out of principle. Or unless I need dual core to make ifanboys jealous. At which point I will buy it!

Mangos taste better than apples!

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Out of principle. Or unless I need dual core to make ifanboys jealous. At which point I will buy it!

Phones already run fine with single core technology. (Ex. iPhone 4, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Focus, Bold 9000)

It's just that mobile technology is advancing at a rapid rate. So as time goes on, the operating systems and apps will take advantage of the newer hardware.

I'm all for newer technology. I had single core phones last year, dual core this year and next year I'll probably upgrade to a new quad core phone of my liking.

I would much rather have phones get faster and faster rather than stay the same. Same in regards to data speeds (EDGE -> 3G -> 4G).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
BURT! No more coffee.

No topic. When duel core is brought to WP I will bet it is properly utilized. It won't kill your battery and will ramp up your gaming experience.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking old school calculator with the rocks on strings. I'm not anti tech, im anti nonsensical conversations. I am however very much pro coffee!!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried the all powerful Samsung Galaxy S II and even that didn't feel as smooth as my Focus. The new Nook Tablet is also pretty lagtastic. Both are dual core. With the recent announcement about quad-core Android devices I'm pretty sure the complainers will move from dual to quad. However, Android never really ran great on single core phones. Then Google never properly optimized it for dual core devices. Now we have quad core and seemingly none of the problems of before were fixed. I'm quite sure that when quad cores hit people are still gonna say that Android is laggy.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
WP UI does not need DC. Other things do. Recording in 1080p requires it for one. That is why no WP can record in 1080p. Games will run better on DC. That is a fact. Sure angry birds does not need DC, but infinity blade 2 probably will show a huge difference between SC and DC devices.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Angry birds might. I've been playing it lately and it seems like it drops down to about 10 fps. Its pretty annoying.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
And like I said awhile ago. I had two BB Curves, and I have to say. My single core sub-standard Trophy is a rocket ship compared to my previous BB's! So for the time being, I am happy and still love my Trophy. ;) :D

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
WP UI does not need DC. Other things do. Recording in 1080p requires it for one. That is why no WP can record in 1080p. Games will run better on DC. That is a fact. Sure angry birds does not need DC, but infinity blade 2 probably will show a huge difference between SC and DC devices.

1080p does nothing different but take up more space on a phone. Its also a gimkick just like dual core and siri. Nice try and yet u have the WP logo as an avatar.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In general, WP doesn't NEED duel core.

However gaming could greatly improve with duel cores - not necessarily due to an increase in processing power, but more for background task handling/loading.

nrguser

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
1080p does nothing different but take up more space on a phone. Its also a gimkick just like dual core and siri. Nice try and yet u have the WP logo as an avatar.

Your argument would be valid if you brought facts with you.

Dual Core works great if it's programmed correctly. I remember when the CPU market was making the shift to Dual Core, Quad, etc... Everyone thought we would never need them, programmers hated programming for them, and was a gimmick since nothing truly used both cores. Who's laughing now? Look at some of the more recently games on PC, for optimal settings you need a Dual Core or above processor.

1080p is great if you plan on showing your video to people on something other then your phone. Otherwise 720p works great (as long as the camera is good)

Siri is a great concept, the fact it has to connect to a cloud source is a deal breaker.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, only the iPhone 4S records 1080p with enough bitrate to provide results worthy of the resolution. Everything else compresses so much that you'd be better off in 720p, at the same bitrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6