Video in messaging

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 questions, first...how do I send a video I shot on my WP7 via MMS? I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

Also, I received a video message that I would like to save to my phone...how the heck do I do that?

Please help!!

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, it was only an 11 second video and I've sent way bigger videos from other phones, I love the OS but if I can't do a simple thing like send video or save video that I receive then that may be a deal breaker

manelscout4life

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Throw the phone out. It can't send videos through mms.

I cant think of one time I actually sent someone a video on any of my previous phones, but that's just me.

Upload the video to fb if you want people to see it. Use tango if you only want one person to see it, problem solved.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, it was only an 11 second video and I've sent way bigger videos from other phones, I love the OS but if I can't do a simple thing like send video or save video that I receive then that may be a deal breaker

I would guess your other phone didn't record HD video like the WP7. I am sure there are size limits to MMS and that's what is preventing you from sending yours. ....but I could be wrong :D

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about your received video, but I discovered the other day that tap and hold of an MMS picture will allow you to save it. Give it a try.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Throw the phone out. It can't send videos through mms.

I cant think of one time I actually sent someone a video on any of my previous phones, but that's just me.

Upload the video to fb if you want people to see it. Use tango if you only want one person to see it, problem solved.
I'll assume you're not a parent.

We send videos to our spouses constantly via text on phones.

Welcome to the year 2009

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
MMS video is important because HD video may or may not be supported on a certain handset - namely older Blackberries (OS5 and some OS6 devices) and low-spec/mid-ranged Android devices (older iPhones probably escape this due to the long support cycle/OS updates). It's the only video format you can be 100% sure pretty much any cell phone with a screen supports, from dumb and feature phones to super phones.

There are still a ton of people out there with dumb/feature phones, and low spec devices are very widespread due to the low cost. A lot of people use PayGo carriers like Boost and Virgin as well, which are filled with lower-spec devices.

WP7 has no issues viewing Video MMS. The issue is that it cannot send them.

What type of video your phone records has absolutely nothing to do with sending video MMS, because the phone will always compress and resize the video before sending it, anyways, the same way it does for picture messages.

If someone has a smartphone or a Tablet/Netbook/Notebook then this is less of an issue because there are ways to share the media (though video is rather hard to share on WP7 without uploading it to a Social Network, which I tend to not like to do I lock all my accounts down and my settings default to "Me Only" on all of them).

When Microsoft allows FS access for 3rd party applications, I think this will cease to be an issue. It's a real issue now because even if you use a service like Box.net you still can't upload the video because none of the file upload dialogs in i.e. Mobile IE actually work... And you're stuck with IE if they're no app for the service (unless you develop your own, there is an API for that :p).

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
MMS video is important because HD video may or may not be supported on a certain handset - namely older Blackberries (OS5 and some OS6 devices) and low-spec/mid-ranged Android devices (older iPhones probably escape this due to the long support cycle/OS updates). It's the only video format you can be 100% sure pretty much any cell phone with a screen supports, from dumb and feature phones to super phones.

There are still a ton of people out there with dumb/feature phones, and low spec devices are very widespread due to the low cost. A lot of people use PayGo carriers like Boost and Virgin as well, which are filled with lower-spec devices.

WP7 has no issues viewing Video MMS. The issue is that it cannot send them.

What type of video your phone records has absolutely nothing to do with sending video MMS, because the phone will always compress and resize the video before sending it, anyways, the same way it does for picture messages.

If someone has a smartphone or a Tablet/Netbook/Notebook then this is less of an issue because there are ways to share the media (though video is rather hard to share on WP7 without uploading it to a Social Network, which I tend to not like to do I lock all my accounts down and my settings default to "Me Only" on all of them).

When Microsoft allows FS access for 3rd party applications, I think this will cease to be an issue. It's a real issue now because even if you use a service like Box.net you still can't upload the video because none of the file upload dialogs in i.e. Mobile IE actually work... And you're stuck with IE if they're no app for the service (unless you develop your own, there is an API for that :p).

most people with smartphones have email accounts,how much harder can it be to share with the persons email rather than phone number? Not much harder at all if their email is also in their contact card.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
most people with smartphones have email accounts,how much harder can it be to share with the persons email rather than phone number? Not much harder at all if their email is also in their contact card.
Pics and video are watchable from within the body of the text. Email requires downloading.

It is indeed more difficult to email. Considering most other comparable phones do it, it's problamatic for WP7

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention the amount of data that would waste, Lol.

I just said it's not just about people with smartphones, though. Apparently he skipped the part where people on some Blackberry devices, low spec Android devices, and Feature/Dumb phones may not be able to play the video even if they have email. Also, Blackberry phones truncate attachments, so emailing large videos to them is useless...

Low spec android phone users may not even have enough space on their device to download the video attachment.

There are many factors. Video MMS support should have been there since day one anyways. It's not the type of feature someone should have to worry about, nevermind wait for or go without indefinitely.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I find it very annoying that I can't mms a video. When I used my droid I used that feature quite often. Sure there are other ways such as email and post on facebook, but sharing by mms is very nice, especially for those like me that have young kids.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about your received video, but I discovered the other day that tap and hold of an MMS picture will allow you to save it. Give it a try.

Just tried this. Saved to phone but where did it go and will I be able to open it? I've seen the video on another phone; very short. I have never been able to play it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just tried this. Saved to phone but where did it go and will I be able to open it? I've seen the video on another phone; very short. I have never been able to play it.
Take a look.in your Music & Video hub, if you saved a video, or Pictures hub if you save a photo.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmpf. Sent to me as a video via mms, received/saved as image. I don't know if this is an os or carrier issue, I just wish they would fix it. This has pretty much been my only complaint with my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss