Two phones w/1 copy of app or game possible??

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Please help... need an answer ASAP. On my two Xbox systems right now I buy games on my wife's console so we both can play them separately on each console. We just got two HTC Titans. Do I have to buy each game/app for each account (i.e. buy them twice), or can I do something similar to the 360 where I buy the app on one phone and then all users of that phone can play it without me being signed in, while I can download and play on my second phone while I am signed in?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you setup both your WP7 devices with the same live id, the apps and games will be accessible on both. Otherwise there is no way to use the same game/app on two different phones.

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
If you setup both your WP7 devices with the same live id, the apps and games will be accessible on both. Otherwise there is no way to use the same game/app on two different phones.

Well, can each phone support more than one Live ID? If so, what happens if I buy an app/game on one ID and then she switches to hers? Can she still use the game/app with her Live ID on the same phone it was purchased on?

We want to keep the IDs separate for the purposes of Achievements, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply, btw.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, can each phone support more than one Live ID? If so, what happens if I buy an app/game on one ID and then she switches to hers? Can she still use the game/app with her Live ID on the same phone it was purchased on?

Thanks for the quick reply, btw.

WP7 only supports 1 live ID, the one that you use to set it up with. To change to another you would need to hard reset, unfortunately. There's no way to switch ID's like on the console. With two phones and two live ID's, it looks like you'll have to buy your apps separately.

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
WP7 only supports 1 live ID, the one that you use to set it up with. To change to another you would need to hard reset, unfortunately. There's no way to switch ID's like on the console. With two phones and two live ID's, it looks like you'll have to buy your apps separately.
Thanks theefman, good to know. It's amazing that I could not find out this information anywhere else. I'm clicking the Thanks button. :)

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

You can have the second Live ID on the phone, but it won't link to that ID's Twitter, Skydrive, or Marketplace...

My wife and I use the same main login, so our Skydrives are in one spot, we share apps, and she doesn't use Twitter so her people hub just shows her Facebook.

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
You can have the second Live ID on the phone, but it won't link to that ID's Twitter, Skydrive, or Marketplace...

My wife and I use the same main login, so our Skydrives are in one spot, we share apps, and she doesn't use Twitter so her people hub just shows her Facebook.

But even in this scenario, you can't both use a purchased app with each Live ID that you only bought once, right?

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
But even in this scenario, you can't both use a purchased app with each Live ID that you only bought once, right?

You can share apps with up to 5 devices as long as the *primary* Live ID is the same on all devices. In other words, you would have to setup both phones with the same Live ID. It would be best if this was a Live ID with no contacts or calendar items. Then you could setup a second ID on each device for the individual users. As noted, you would not be able to link twitter or skydrive to the secondary id. You could share twitter and skydrive with the shared id though.

This scenario would also be necessary to share a ZunePass.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Yes.. Like another poster said.. I share my Zune Pass and Apps over several devices. Each device needs to first login with the same Live ID though. See my previous post for the downsides of it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
And as I recall, don't you have setup your XBox ID on the phone, so not necessarily the same LiveID as the primary ID you used to setup the phone. Sorry, I did this a year ago and don't remember.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried adding a second Live ID... but it didn't seem to do much? As in, I could not switch the Xbox Live to use that second ID.

There is no way for her to use Xbox Live games I bought on MY account/ID using HER Live ID/gamertag unless she buys them herself, right? In other words, in a scenario where the phone is set up with MY Live ID/Gamertag as the primary with purchased games, and her Live ID as a secondary, it's not like she can play those games as HERSELF/her gamertag, right?

Same thing with Zune Pass... she can't access that as HERSELF, only as me through her phone if I put my account as the primary one on her phone, right?

So it's kind of pointless having her be a second Live account on the phone then? I might as well just buy two copies of the games and give her own Zune Pass now that they lowered the price to $10/$100 a year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I wish they hadn't made this so incredibly unfriendly for families.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I tried adding a second Live ID... but it didn't seem to do much? As in, I could not switch the Xbox Live to use that second ID.

There is no way for her to use Xbox Live games I bought on MY account/ID using HER Live ID/gamertag unless she buys them herself, right? In other words, in a scenario where the phone is set up with MY Live ID/Gamertag as the primary with purchased games, and her Live ID as a secondary, it's not like she can play those games as HERSELF/her gamertag, right?

Same thing with Zune Pass... she can't access that as HERSELF, only as me through her phone if I put my account as the primary one on her phone, right?

So it's kind of pointless having her be a second Live account on the phone then? I might as well just buy two copies of the games and give her own Zune Pass now that they lowered the price to $10/$100 a year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I wish they hadn't made this so incredibly unfriendly for families.

Yes that's correct, the second live id won't be able to access the content tied to its gamertag, just its email, calendar and contacts. If you do want to save money a shared live id would work but if you want to keep the two accounts separate for achievements you'll have to use separate live id's to set up each phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss