What can we do about bad "press"?

L

lumic

At the end of the day, these comparisons are what people see (it was "top rated" for Australia I believe) and there's hardly ever such straight-forward comparisons showing the weaknesses of the other operating systems. I think this could be something WP Central does, since they have the phones at their disposal.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You know what is the solution for this. We should make videos showing the right picture of Windows Phone 7.5, and that's fun, easy to use and more and more better every day. Siri is TellMe 2.0. The next update should fix that :)

L

lumic

You know what is the solution for this. We should make videos showing the right picture of Windows Phone 7.5, and that's fun, easy to use and more and more better every day. Siri is TellMe 2.0. The next update should fix that :)
I don't have an issue with Siri being better, since it is. I have an issue with these people going out of their way to fabricate weaknesses with Windows Phone when they really aren't being realistic. It would be like making a video of myself trying to press to the left and right of the iPhone home button because my Omnia 7 has two capacitive buttons there.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It would be like making a video of myself trying to press to the left and right of the iPhone home button because my Omnia 7 has two capacitive buttons there.

Every time I use my wife's iPod, I do this... annoys the crap out of me. I love the back button :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i blame is AUSI accent. lol ;)

but seriously how can you compare 2 things that arnt even the same ..

tellme( on wp ) int made to open apps and creat appointments. lol... so why even use that as an exaple?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I love how people actually think Apple made SIRI, lol

w/e , apple to ME will always be a bunch of FREELOADERS... meaning..

- Samsung makes HALF their tech
- they got SIRI from SIRI...
- they rely on DEV to make it a good phone ( app launcher )

they basically have tech handed to them , then pas it off as their own

Apple hasten innovated anything sints the Ipod touch UI ( which is now used for EVERY product they come out with ) so that what now? 5-6years sins APPLE actually came out with something innovative on their own?

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the problem (and the reason behind that YouTube clip) was what this guy said:

Microsoft thinks Windows Phone has Siri's functionality covered

Ok, don't trash talk your own product - that's obvious. But pretending it can do something it can't is just silly because you're going to get caught and it WILL backfire.

Except - and if you watch the interview you'd know this (don't worry because none of the Apple blogs watched it either apparently) - he was ONLY talking about the interactive texting and the voice search (including the local search that was baked into the phone). Its not that he claimed that WP7 could do something it couldn't, its that he's been taken completely out of context.

Never mind that his overriding point was that Siri has been hyped and marketed to the nth degree mostly because the 4S had little else to cheer about.

I love how people actually think Apple made SIRI, lol

w/e , apple to ME will always be a bunch of FREELOADERS... meaning..

- Samsung makes HALF their tech
- they got SIRI from SIRI...
- they rely on DEV to make it a good phone ( app launcher )

they basically have tech handed to them , then pas it off as their own

Apple hasten innovated anything sints the Ipod touch UI ( which is now used for EVERY product they come out with ) so that what now? 5-6years sins APPLE actually came out with something innovative on their own?

In the interest of fairness, Microsoft also bought TellMe. And MS relies on other vendors/manufacturers for every aspect of their business.

L

lumic

i blame is AUSI accent. lol ;)

but seriously how can you compare 2 things that arnt even the same ..
My accent is guaranteed weirder than his (Asian-Australian) but TellMe doesn't struggle. The problem was that he was using web search for everything, where certain offensive phrases are naturally searched more often than "10 am".

He compared them because it is status-quo to hate on Microsoft, though the Microsoft executive who made the silly remark (EDIT: okay, taken out of context, but this a persistent issue with Microsoft - they should get their higher-ups to clearly state the context they are talking in) is partially to blame for instigating the whole mess.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a blog, everyone and their mother has a blog. Does not mean anyone pays attention to it. Maybe it's legit, maybe it's not, but anyone who has used Tellme does not experience this from my experience.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 4S. Siri, for the most part, sucks. Oh, unless the intent is for it to give "funny" responses. In that case, it's an unmitigated success.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 4S. Siri, for the most part, sucks. Oh, unless the intent is for it to give "funny" responses. In that case, it's an unmitigated success.

SIRI works very well.

im sorry but anyone who says it SUCKS. it just jealous and trying to hide it , cause SIRI (not the Iphone ) but SIRI is a AMMAZING peace of tech specially considering its in BETA

how usefull it is in really real life ,,thats an other question doh.... its just a gimmick , like 3D phones , but its FAAAR from * SUCKS*

nothing else on the market even comes close to what it can do.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I played this guys voice back into my WP and it created the text message perfectly which may lend some credence to the fact this was based on web searches.

On the other hand I tried tai Kwan Doh and it came back Hi One Doll so what do you do...

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I will explain why Siri sucks. It sucks because it simply doesn't work correctly all too often. We've all seen all the comical responses it gives. Granted, some are due to the questions, but it just does not deliver the goods even with many perfectly reasonable queries. It's the best iteration of voice recognition technology currently available, but that doesn't mean it's good. Some day, voice recogntion will work flawlessly, but that day has not yet come.

Beta you say? Well yes, it is in beta. The promise is there, but it's nothing more than a promise at this point. MS has been constantly derided for releasing products that were considered to be unfinished and using the consumers as de facto beta testers. Apple's rollout of Siri is no different, and Apple should be called out for it. Fair is fair.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Not to be accused of beating a dead horse but I find Siri to be a gimmick. It requires a fair amount of set up and then for me fails at the most important task which is to receive and prepare texts in my car. To be honest it is the only function I care about and I know Siri for all its smoke and mirrors cannot achieve it (I have to look at what it typed WP reads it back, small detail but critical to this task especially when you are trying to preserve a driving licence).

But rather more important than this nonsense how about this comment from the Which? Consumer magazine in the UK with regards to the Nokia Lumia

"The Lumias single core processor isnt as powerful as the dual core versions found on some rival devices so it wont be as quick"

This is the sort of bad press that matters in my opinion.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I played this guys voice back into my WP and it created the text message perfectly which may lend some credence to the fact this was based on web searches.

On the other hand I tried tai Kwan Doh and it came back Hi One Doll so what do you do...

We all should notice that TellMe is first generation. I saw discussions on answer.microsoft.com about this problem and i'm optimistic about the next big release (Tango, Apollo, etc) will bring better response with this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo