What can we do about bad "press"?

L

lumic

"The Lumias single core processor isnt as powerful as the dual core versions found on some rival devices so it wont be as quick"
This is another example, making claims which are completely fabricated and not based on real usage (the TellMe vs Siri video was obviously made by a full-time iOS user).

If I could get someone to record, I'd be happy to bring in my Omnia to a carrier store in order to get some HD footage of the Atrix's dual-core versus my 2008 processor. Such a video would be nice to send to these publications who make false claims.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
With properly coded apps no. The single core processor won't be as quick.

That's why a 2ghz core 2 duo out performs a 3 ghz p4.

No fabrication in that. Bad software underpeeforms regardless of what it is running on.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
With properly coded apps no. The single core processor won't be as quick.

That's why a 2ghz core 2 duo out performs a 3 ghz p4.

No fabrication in that. Bad software underpeeforms regardless of what it is running on.

If you want to get technical, you're only correct when it comes to multitasking. If you're doing a single process, by pure math, a 3GHz will be faster than a 2GHz no matter how many cores.

At any rate, I highly doubt that article he was referencing made note of WP being better written to use its hardware than Android is. This would be called misleading; not telling a whole story, which I believe is a form of fabrication.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you want to get technical, you're only correct when it comes to multitasking. If you're doing a single process, by pure math, a 3GHz will be faster than a 2GHz no matter how many cores.

At any rate, I highly doubt that article he was referencing made note of WP being better written to use its hardware than Android is. This would be called misleading; not telling a whole story, which I believe is a form of fabrication.

I have a P4 and amd64 dual core PC and an i3 notebook with slower clock than the P4 and amd. The i3 crushes both of them.

Performance is not just about clock speed.

That is why I will not waste cash in these gen 2 phone with old over clocked socs in them.

Even single threaded, they're worse than the newer dual core processors. There is no win I using those old CPUs. Only marginal cost savings.

That is all.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

L

lumic

I have a P4 and amd64 dual core PC and an i3 notebook with slower clock than the P4 and amd. The i3 crushes both of them.

Performance is not just about clock speed.
Newer iterations obviously have boosts in performance. Having two cores doesn't immediately mean you win - what if processes an application goes through are all interdependent on each other and the app is not coded very well for optimisation across two cores? A single, more powerful core will do much better to complete the task.

Even single threaded, they're worse than the newer dual core processors. There is no win I using those old CPUs. Only marginal cost savings.
While I'm probably going to do the same thing and wait for Apollo devices, what do you want from a phone that requires dual-core? It's just an honest question, because I can guarantee you that if Qualcomm continues to develop single-core alongside dual and quad, the single will not struggle with majority of tasks that a user performs.

Gaming is the only one I can think of at this point of time. I understand that people value high-detail gaming and the ability to show their friends that their device is capable of doing such and such. Yet 2D titles are still so popular, and I don't know of any mobile developer who does wonders in both gameplay and graphics. Take IB2 - incredible graphics at the cost of a weak storyline.

For me, gaming catches up when the gameplay is on the level of last-gen consoles. The newer dual-cores can push out PS3-equivalent graphics, yet I haven't found a mobile game that rivals a PS2 title (and in most cases, a PS title).

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
An example of the problems this video creates is people will assume that you cannot text message with tellme, or open apps with it.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just tried Taekwondo by saying "find Taekwondo" and it pulled up local listings perfectly, the first time.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Newer iterations obviously have boosts in performance. Having two cores doesn't immediately mean you win - what if processes an application goes through are all interdependent on each other and the app is not coded very well for optimisation across two cores? A single, more powerful core will do much better to complete the task.

While I'm probably going to do the same thing and wait for Apollo devices, what do you want from a phone that requires dual-core? It's just an honest question, because I can guarantee you that if Qualcomm continues to develop single-core alongside dual and quad, the single will not struggle with majority of tasks that a user performs.

Gaming is the only one I can think of at this point of time. I understand that people value high-detail gaming and the ability to show their friends that their device is capable of doing such and such. Yet 2D titles are still so popular, and I don't know of any mobile developer who does wonders in both gameplay and graphics. Take IB2 - incredible graphics at the cost of a weak storyline.

For me, gaming catches up when the gameplay is on the level of last-gen consoles. The newer dual-cores can push out PS3-equivalent graphics, yet I haven't found a mobile game that rivals a PS2 title (and in most cases, a PS title).

The newer socs outperform them independent of being dual core.

It's why a 1ghz scorpion is better than the 1ghz snapdragon in the hd2.

Being dual. Core just gives it a higher ceiling to outperform those single core processors.

It's pretty simple. No walls of text necessary.

L

lumic

The newer socs outperform them independent of being dual core.
As I previously stated, "if Qualcomm continues to develop single-core alongside dual and quad, the single will not struggle with majority of tasks that a user performs." Learn to read.

Being dual. Core just gives it a higher ceiling to outperform those single core processors.
And having a more powerful single core in comparison to two weaker cores will mean that all tasks will be see an immediate performance gain, as opposed to worrying about whether individual apps will be optimised in their coding for dual-core. You're out of depth here, I suggest you just stick to the "dual core is better, period" argument.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, TELL Me is the last reason for getting a Windows Phone. It doesn't work that great and the OS is not made with that in mind. In the future though I see Tell me integrated with the phone, like the Kinect menu. That should be amazing.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
SIRI works very well.

im sorry but anyone who says it SUCKS. it just jealous and trying to hide it , cause SIRI (not the Iphone ) but SIRI is a AMMAZING peace of tech specially considering its in BETA

how usefull it is in really real life ,,thats an other question doh.... its just a gimmick , like 3D phones , but its FAAAR from * SUCKS*

nothing else on the market even comes close to what it can do.

Many of my friends have iPhones and they often try to show off SIRI but in the end, they put their phones away never getting the result they wanted. I WAS jealous of SIRI until I actually started to see it in action. Some results it gives are funny because they are off subject and ridiculous but not once have seen SIRI give a correct answer besides, "would you like me to search online?"
Actually I've seen one person create an appointment with SIRI and there were mistakes that he had to manually adjust. I'm sorry but SIRI seemed coop at first but now it just seems like a gimmick and a waste of time when the phone talks back to me. I would rather use Tellme because it's simple, gets the job done, and doesn't back talk...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The commercials and the people that make videos with Siri have tried various combinations of talking to it. Soooo they actually know what to ask Siri and to get right answer. :)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Many of my friends have iPhones and they often try to show off SIRI but in the end, they put their phones away never getting the result they wanted. I WAS jealous of SIRI until I actually started to see it in action. Some results it gives are funny because they are off subject and ridiculous but not once have seen SIRI give a correct answer besides, "would you like me to search online?"
Actually I've seen one person create an appointment with SIRI and there were mistakes that he had to manually adjust. I'm sorry but SIRI seemed coop at first but now it just seems like a gimmick and a waste of time when the phone talks back to me. I would rather use Tellme because it's simple, gets the job done, and doesn't back talk...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

SiRi uses the best voice recognition in the world (Nuance), has the best system integration among smartphone speech tech, and has AI far and beyond anything on the market for smartphones...

You can keep trying to convince us that people walk away not getting what they want from SiRi when they talk to it, but few people will believe you.

The only thing that [at the moment] isn't great about SiRi is the reliability of its back-end network. That's all.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Siri isn't all it's cracked up to be at all..

I also have friends with iPhones and I have seen it enough to know it isn't that fantastic.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Siri is the best voice recognition program, no doubt. The problem is, it's still not good enough. I've used it myself. I don't have an accent or any type of speech impediment. It simply does not understand as well as some people want to believe that it does.

There's a reason that we see articles such as this almost daily:

Siri Is Apple's Broken Promise

That's from today.

L

lumic

That's it. No voice recognition system as of yet is credible enough to warrant daily usage, or a situation where it's actually preferable to talk to your phone. We know that all systems screw up too often - if you're basing your opinion of Siri off videos such as the one this thread revolves around, just compare the situation and wording used by the uploader to official Apple demonstrations / advertisements.

I never knew that the definition of natural language was to say the lines Apple tells you to.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That's it. No voice recognition system as of yet is credible enough to warrant daily usage, or a situation where it's actually preferable to talk to your phone.

I can't tell if you are being serious or just throwing a fit about something, haha

But I use the voice in my phone daily. If I am not at work, I ALWAYS use my voice to open any app not on my start page. It is always easier to open via voice than flick -> quick jump -> find.

Also, this weekend I took a vacation to Indianapolis, I probably used the voice feature 20-25 times on Saturday as we were bar hoping.

"Where we going? The Slippery Noodle Inn?"
"Find Slippery Noodle Inn"
*click click* - Done and on screen.

Way easier than typing all that in. My Wife's iPhone does a lot of things well, but for getting around a town in which we had no idea what we were doing, my phone KILLED IT all weekend :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb