Why are WP apps so expensive?

propeller10

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Many apps and games I see are way over $0.99. I see $2.99 apps everywhere in the marketplace. Most of the games are much cheaper elsewhere. Why is it that WP apps are more expensive compared to other platforms?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
XBox Live games have always been more expensive as Microsoft considers them premium, because they include the ability to earn achievements which is part of the XBox Live service.

(Angry Birds is an example, next to free on other platforms, but not on WP, because it's a Live title.)

I know loads of folk couldn't care less about achievements but that's how Microsoft see them.

IMO most other apps aren't expensive, most are free or only a few pennies.

propeller10

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
XBox Live games have always been more expensive as Microsoft considers them premium, because they include the ability to earn achievements which is part of the XBox Live service.

I know loads of folk couldn't care less about achievements but that's how Microsoft see them.

haha true. I just wanna play the game. Angry Birds is $2.99 on WP while its is $0.99 on itunes. Now that feels like bit of a ripoff. MS should do something about this.

Also WP isn't exactly the most popular platform. And this isn't helping.

BostonSammy

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
At least Microsoft is giving us a $25 credit when we buy a new phone. I don't have that many paid apps on iOS anyway. $25 should get me everything I need.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
How could you be so cruel duvi ?

?16.18 worth of free apps and a Titan.

cry.gif

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've always viewed it as Microsoft wanting to support devs more. Didn't they initially refuse to allow $.99 apps? Maybe I am misremembering.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
GameCenter has achievements so i have always wondered if that pricing is a good idea. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninjas are 3x the peice of the ios versions.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
In my experience the opposite is true. Most apps are cheaper than their iOS and Android counterparts. The only exceptions to the rule are XBox Live titles, for the aforementioned reason.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've always viewed it as Microsoft wanting to support devs more. Didn't they initially refuse to allow $.99 apps? Maybe I am misremembering.

That was the theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well when you have a smaller market. A 99p app on iOS might make less per sale, but you have such a big potential market overall you can make far, far more.

Devs know it, which is why they go with where they can make the most more ofte than not, and why marketplace lag is so hard to catch up. You need the customer base to make people develop apps, but you need apps to grow the customer base. Vicious cycle.

I think MS could do worse to subsidise a few key apps and games though to encourage uptake. And still not having skype now that they own skype is flat-out bizarre.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077