11-28-2011 12:18 AM
26 12
tools
    Many apps and games I see are way over $0.99. I see $2.99 apps everywhere in the marketplace. Most of the games are much cheaper elsewhere. Why is it that WP apps are more expensive compared to other platforms?
    11-27-2011 10:41 AM
    XBox Live games have always been more expensive as Microsoft considers them premium, because they include the ability to earn achievements which is part of the XBox Live service.

(Angry Birds is an example, next to free on other platforms, but not on WP, because it's a Live title.)

I know loads of folk couldn't care less about achievements but that's how Microsoft see them.

IMO most other apps aren't expensive, most are free or only a few pennies.
    propeller10 likes this.
    11-27-2011 10:43 AM
    XBox Live games have always been more expensive as Microsoft considers them premium, because they include the ability to earn achievements which is part of the XBox Live service.

I know loads of folk couldn't care less about achievements but that's how Microsoft see them.
    haha true. I just wanna play the game. Angry Birds is $2.99 on WP while its is $0.99 on itunes. Now that feels like bit of a ripoff. MS should do something about this.

Also WP isn't exactly the most popular platform. And this isn't helping.
    11-27-2011 10:46 AM
    I know where' you are coming from for sure propeller10. :)
    11-27-2011 10:47 AM
    Since their are a lot less users, developers charge more.
    11-27-2011 11:02 AM
    At least Microsoft is giving us a $25 credit when we buy a new phone. I don't have that many paid apps on iOS anyway. $25 should get me everything I need.
    11-27-2011 11:03 AM
    At least Microsoft is giving us a $25 credit when we buy a new phone. I don't have that many paid apps on iOS anyway. $25 should get me everything I need.
    Go on rub it in! LOL
    11-27-2011 11:04 AM
    Go on rub it in! LOL
    I'll rub it in too... I'll wait for my Titan to get here. Haha.
    11-27-2011 11:17 AM
    How could you be so cruel duvi ?

16.18 worth of free apps and a Titan.

11-27-2011 11:22 AM
    Since their are a lot less users, developers charge more.
    Rovio, the makers of angry birds definitely don't need more money lol. Just because the userbase is smaller, price should't be higher. I don't believe that is the reason.
    11-27-2011 11:26 AM
    I did not know about that. 0.0 How do I go about getting that $25 credit?
    11-27-2011 11:28 AM
    I did not know about that. 0.0 How do I go about getting that $25 credit?
    https://windowsphone.promo.eprize.co...rogram/:b=ie9/

Not that I'm bitter, but here you go propeller10 :)

Hope you get sorted out with you free apps.

(Pah! US Only Rubbish, Moan Moan! etc etc) ;)
    propeller10 likes this.
    11-27-2011 11:33 AM
    I'm still waiting on my card!
    11-27-2011 11:37 AM
    I'm still waiting on my card!
    Me Too! Oh Wait!
    11-27-2011 11:39 AM
    I've always viewed it as Microsoft wanting to support devs more. Didn't they initially refuse to allow $.99 apps? Maybe I am misremembering.
    11-27-2011 01:01 PM
    GameCenter has achievements so i have always wondered if that pricing is a good idea. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninjas are 3x the peice of the ios versions.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    11-27-2011 02:44 PM
    I've had my LG phone for a yer and no free apps card. Was that only for US citizens?
    11-27-2011 02:56 PM
    In my experience the opposite is true. Most apps are cheaper than their iOS and Android counterparts. The only exceptions to the rule are XBox Live titles, for the aforementioned reason.
    11-27-2011 03:00 PM
    I've always viewed it as Microsoft wanting to support devs more. Didn't they initially refuse to allow $.99 apps? Maybe I am misremembering.
    That was the theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well when you have a smaller market. A 99p app on iOS might make less per sale, but you have such a big potential market overall you can make far, far more.

Devs know it, which is why they go with where they can make the most more ofte than not, and why marketplace lag is so hard to catch up. You need the customer base to make people develop apps, but you need apps to grow the customer base. Vicious cycle.

I think MS could do worse to subsidise a few key apps and games though to encourage uptake. And still not having skype now that they own skype is flat-out bizarre.
    11-27-2011 03:31 PM
    I'll rub it in some more. Waiting on my $25 app card too! :D
    11-27-2011 08:24 PM
    In my experience the opposite is true. Most apps are cheaper than their iOS and Android counterparts. The only exceptions to the rule are XBox Live titles, for the aforementioned reason.
    That's not true and the game prices matter a lot when you have to market to the younger crowd filled with ADD occupiers... Or parents getting a device for their kids not wanting to pay such a premium for apps on top of the hardware purchase.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    11-27-2011 09:05 PM
    It is a little annoying that the LIVE Enabled titles are more then the same game on iOS and as stated the LIVE part is meant to bring it to a premium title since Microsoft should be testing out all the features of the game and such making sure it works on all phones and making sure there is no problems though we still get achievements not working and such :(

We also don't seem to get the free update support like the iOS Counter-Parts! I mean Fruit Ninja on WP7 is still behind and I imagine so is Angry Birds which is a real shame! Maybe Devs are just not seeing the profit they want and don't bother with updates.

In the end though the fact I can get achievements for my LIVE Profile does not make me regret buying the game on my WP7 over the iOS and since my iPod is a Touch 2G is starting to lack playing new games without problems and so far everything has been so smooth on my WP7 I can't complain!

Once we start to see LIVE Titles get Multiplayer which has been in the works for a long time I believe then I imagine the price tag will be more justified I mean most pay for Gold on 360 for the fact it works great over other services.
    11-27-2011 09:29 PM
    It is a little annoying that the LIVE Enabled titles are more then the same game on iOS and as stated the LIVE part is meant to bring it to a premium title since Microsoft should be testing out all the features of the game and such making sure it works on all phones and making sure there is no problems though we still get achievements not working and such :(

We also don't seem to get the free update support like the iOS Counter-Parts! I mean Fruit Ninja on WP7 is still behind and I imagine so is Angry Birds which is a real shame! Maybe Devs are just not seeing the profit they want and don't bother with updates.

I'll definitely give you the update thing. There are a TON of great apps that hit the store for NoDo and never got updated even once.
    11-27-2011 09:33 PM
    Can I just add that we are complaining about a few dollars here?

If I quit smoking it would be like me getting a free $5 app a day for the rest of my life. Come on people...
    bitslave likes this.
    11-27-2011 09:41 PM
    How could you be so cruel duvi ?

16.18 worth of free apps and a Titan.

Click to view quoted image
    I have to be... it's not every day that I'm patient enough to wait for a deal on devices.

I'm usually the one buying them on release day... smh.

The $25 will probably be used for a GPS app that works well or something. Can you give me a few good apps (no games) I could use the $25 on? :P;):P
    11-27-2011 10:00 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD