Does this OS have the best integration in...

raphaelgo

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
1. Office Integration? I need to use Microsoft Office, 99% of the time Microsoft Word. Currently a BB 9700 user and will switch on March since there is like no ms office there lol, just email. I heard about this thing called SkyDrive, does it work like ICloud? Do I just upload my documents there and I could just pull it out of thin air on a WP7 Phone and keep working on the same document or view/edit?

2. Social Network Integration? I know that theres this people's tile thing. It lets me see Facebook updates... but how about Twitter? is it also integrated? I usually check Twitter about like 20 times a day...

3. Apps? I have been wanting to use a GBA Emulator just to play my old gba games... but sadly my DS broke. Is there one available here?

4. Hotmail? Obviously this is probably the best at it because well, its Microsoft's OS LOL. My Blackberry does well at email so does this OS do as well as it or even better than BB OS?

5. XBOX Live? My brother owns a 360 and I sometimes go on it and play. When people send me messages tho, it takes me so long to just send one short message because I don't own an Xbox keyboard! Does this phone at least let me send messages to gamertags? How does the Xbox integration work exactly? You just see your profile? :s

As you can probably tell I am a student, and I get projects from day to day, usually essays. And I sometimes don't have access to my laptop so I rely on emailing myself with my phone. That's why I need MS Office. I also need social networking feeds and email/msn... and this is not really anything big but the Xbox live is also a plus. Would this OS work for me or should I stick to BB OS or perhaps switch to Android?

BTW I prefer a qwerty keyboard, and i like portrait ones since they're so convenient as I can type with only one hand. This is my sole reason of picking WebOS as well as the multitasking and unique gestures... but sadly HP killed it and the multitasking on wp7 is similar to webos. I can't type at all on a virtual keyboard, I always mess up haha.

Thank you :)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes, MS Office is built in with fill skydrive support so you can sync and upload files between computers and your cell flawlessly. I guess it works like icloud... Its a cloud where you store documents, pictures and anything else really.

2. Yes, WP7 is fully integrated with twitter and facebook. The "messages" tile will update with facebook and twitter messages as well as text and picture messages from your cell. It will show you who is online as well.

3. There is one emulator out there right now and its a NES emulator. Microsoft did not allow emulators until very recently so I would expect more to start showing up on the marketplace anytime now.

4. Never used a BB as my main phone but WP7 handles email flawlessly (I hate saying that word a lot but it's true). I have 1 hotmail, 1 live, 2 gmail, and 2 yahoo email accounts and all of them are linked into the same tile. Manual updating will update all inbox's in less than a minute on my Radar 4G. You can also have seperate tiles for each email account. WP7 plays fine with all of them.

5. Yes, WP7 is the only phone with Xbox Live integrated. You can check who is online, send / recieve messages and even edit your avatar and shop for new clothes for it. You can look at your profile and the profile of any of your friends as well and check your achievements, compare games with your friends.
Just remember when you first turn on you phone to use your live account that is associated with your Xbox Live account and everything will be pretty automatic. Also you need to download "Xbox Live Extras" (which is free) to connect to xbox live and see whos online, send messages... etc.

There are Xbox Live games on WP7 too that have achievements and leaderboards that connect with Xbox Live. They really did a fantastic job with Xbox Live and social media integration with this OS.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you'll be fine switching over to WP!

Office Integration - check

Twitter - check

Apps - No GBA emulator

Hotmail - Double check

Xbox Live - Triple check

I know you stated you preferred a QWERTY keyboard, but to tell you the truth, software/on-screen keyboards work just as well; just takes getting used to.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone sounds like the best OS for you. If you are on ATT I would buy a Titan or Focus S and try to see if you can live without the hardware keyboard. If you decide you absolutely can't return whichever phone you got and pick up a unlocked Dell Venue Pro for $299. Yes, its $100 more than a phone on contract, but you will still have an upgrade available when a newer phone launches with a keyboard since all second gen devices are screen only right now. I would steer clear of Android. The only thing it would be better for is the keyboard. Every single other thing you mentioned is better in WP than in Android.

raphaelgo

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I am with Bell Canada and am waiting for March for an upgrade. I am just looking at operating systems right now so when my contract is ready for an upgrade I already know what phone I am gonna get, because I don't want to last minute hunt a phone :p I'll be switching over to WP7 then! Its UI looks sweet too!

And I am pretty sure I can live without a physical keyboard; i just prefer it. I own an iPod touch and I can type decent on it, so I can get used to a virtual keyboard. I hope Nokia releases a better phone by March and Bell gets it...

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I briefly had a Dell Venue Pro that I sent back because it had a defective screen. Other than that, though, it was a pretty good phone. I decided to go with the Titan instead because it has slightly better hardware, and because I got it for a penny.

The large screen on the Titan makes software keyboard typing easier, if you're concerned about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077