Android (HTC Thunderbolt) V Windows Phone (HTC Titan) Boot Times

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ROLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA classic!!!!!!!

good thing they dint put it up againts a Blackberry ,, would have had the chance to restart 6 times instead of 4. LOL

No kidding. I have a Storm 2 right now, it takes forever to reboot! I did read some threads about why Blackberry takes so long to boot up, something about it having to verify every file on the device. The more Apps installed, the longer it takes. Device Encryption enabled seems to double the boot time too.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's funny but irrelevant. I don't know why it's important or why anyone cares who wins a boot up contest.

My thoughts exactly. If I made a list of priorities for my next phone purchase, boot up time wouldn't ever come into consideration, unless of course the boot up time was 30 minutes or something...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. If I made a list of priorities for my next phone purchase, boot up time wouldn't ever come into consideration, unless of course the boot up time was 30 minutes or something...

boot time doesn’t really matter but it give you an idea of how fast the OS/phone actually is.

if you wana compare speeds , you’re better off doing a BOOT TIME TEST , then comparing them opening apps.

like MAC vs PC .. mac are better and smoother cause its not a mess like PC..

- PC has to load up HUNDRES of files for 1 program
- mac 1fille for 1 program.

I DJ , i use to have a PC (laptop) .. and it bugged out and froze on me during live shows :S..
Macs dont have that problem , way more reliable due to its simplicity and GOOD coding,.
samethign with WP VS Android

yes is VAGUE but its what it is.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
They really should have compared a stock Thunderbolt to a stock Titan. That Thunderbolt's been rooted, has a custom ROM, a non-stock kernel, etc. I hate Android personally but I don't feel this test is really very fair.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Who turns their phone off on a flight? They have Airplane mode for that.

Unless you're going on a 12 hour flight or something, Lol.

Android boot times are longer, noticeably so - obviously. There are technical reasons for it, but it really doesn't matter. They aren't Blackberry 5/6 boot times and most people rarely reboot their phones unless totally necessary, anyways.

Having just gotten back from a vacation I can tell you that Delta announces that all electronics including cell phones be turned OFF for take off and landing. Not airplane mode. ALL electronics turned off. After lift off they can be turned back on in airplane mode. I have no idea why this old fable is still in practice. I would hope all electronics that keep my flight in flight have much more substantial shielding than my cell phone could penetrate.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Having just gotten back from a vacation I can tell you that Delta announces that all electronics including cell phones be turned OFF for take off and landing. Not airplane mode. ALL electronics turned off. After lift off they can be turned back on in airplane mode. I have no idea why this old fable is still in practice. I would hope all electronics that keep my flight in flight have much more substantial shielding than my cell phone could penetrate.

i ask them once why i had to turn it off even doh i have airplane mode turned on.

they said that even doh you turn on airplane mode it still shoots out some sort of Frequency that could mess with the Planes electronics...

Now i dont know how this make any sense cause ,, what the **** is the point of airplane mode.

Also turning it off before takeoff then turning it back on in flight = same thing... taking off or flying = same thing…

that makes no sense.. when she ( the flight attended ) said that to me i burst out laughing and told her i work in cell phones for living and what she said made NO SENS. She gave me attitude and walked away ……

maybe it would make sense 10 years ago.... I mean THERE IS A REASON PHONES HAVE AIRPLANE MODE!!!! Even without airplane mode the CHANCE that your phone screws up the Plane is slim to NONE!! 1 / 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance.

honestly i think they are just afraid that it causes static in the communications between pilot and Air traffic controllers.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
boot time doesn?t really matter but it give you an idea of how fast the OS/phone actually is.

if you wana compare speeds , you?re better off doing a BOOT TIME TEST , then comparing them opening apps.

That's just a blatant lie. You clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i ask them once why i had to turn it off even doh i have airplane mode turned on.

they said that even doh you turn on airplane mode it still shoots out some sort of Frequency that could mess with the Planes electronics...

Now i dont know how this make any sense cause ,, what the **** is the point of airplane mode.

Also turning it off before takeoff then turning it back on in flight = same thing... taking off or flying = same thing?

that makes no sense.. when she ( the flight attended ) said that to me i burst out laughing and told her i work in cell phones for living and what she said made NO SENS. She gave me attitude and walked away ??

maybe it would make sense 10 years ago.... I mean THERE IS A REASON PHONES HAVE AIRPLANE MODE!!!! Even without airplane mode the CHANCE that your phone screws up the Plane is slim to NONE!! 1 / 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance.

honestly i think they are just afraid that it causes static in the communications between pilot and Air traffic controllers.

The primary reason, IMO, is to get passengers to put away their devices until the plane is in the air.

If the plane needs to hit the brakes during takeoff, or hits something during landing, that pretty little iPhone and it's metal/glass shell will very likely become a roughtly 140g missile traveling at upto 100mph+ in the worst case.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That's just a blatant lie. You clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

its not a blunt lie , that basically what it is

if you do a processing test ... with he titan and the thunderbolt , the titan runs about 4x times faster..

i did a test with the GS2 VS my Focus ... boot time is roughly the same , and they run just as smooth one another. with he GS2 needing double the power.
(actually I think its more than double the power )

its a question of simple math and what the phones needs to process with in a set time period. the longer it takes the slower it is.... and the fact that Android has HORIBLE coding due to Open source ( this is confirmed by just about everybody and everything ) actually ahs an affect on the over all quality of the phone…

if it was a lie , maybe you can explain to me why my FOCUS single core runs as fast as the GS2 duel-core?? When it should be clearly OWNING IT…
just like my duel-core PC rapes my G-f`s single core PC….

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The primary reason, IMO, is to get passengers to put away their devices until the plane is in the air.

If the plane needs to hit the brakes during takeoff, or hits something during landing, that pretty little iPhone and it's metal/glass shell will very likely become a roughtly 140g missile traveling at upto 100mph+ in the worst case.
actually prime reason is to prevent communication problems, i just looked it up.. hahaha

but your right about the missile thing :p im sure that?s another reason if something goes wrong.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, just to throw a tiny wrench in the boot up debate, HHD speed has quite a bit to do with it also. I'm not real familiar with that on Mobile devices, but its painfully obvious on PC's. SSD's boot purty darn quick! :p

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think they all use NAND flash chips for storage. No idea how much speed difference is between NAND chips. Maybe the iPhone 4S has something different since it has up to 64gb of capacity.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Also turning it off before takeoff then turning it back on in flight = same thing... taking off or flying = same thing?

that makes no sense.. when she ( the flight attended ) said that to me i burst out laughing and told her i work in cell phones for living and what she said made NO SENS. She gave me attitude and walked away ??

I dunno I saw a documentary a few years back about what could happen. Here is a short clip.
Soul Plane Cell Phone Scene - YouTube

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
boot time doesn’t really matter but it give you an idea of how fast the OS/phone actually is.

if you wana compare speeds , you’re better off doing a BOOT TIME TEST , then comparing them opening apps.

I DJ , i use to have a PC (laptop) .. and it bugged out and froze on me during live shows :S..
Macs dont have that problem , way more reliable due to its simplicity and GOOD coding,.
samethign with WP VS Android

yes is VAGUE but its what it is.

Not really. It may boot to a home screen faster but you have no idea if all the necessary services are started on boot or delayed to get the user to the desktop faster.

That is how Microsoft achieved windows 7's improved boot times (one of the ways, at least).

Also the crap you wrote about macs and PCs is exactly what I just called it. Obviously not a developer...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Then turn it off for take off and landing. I haven't had time turn a smartphone off on a flight in years.

Again, it's not like the phone takes a day to both up.

And for the record, HTC sense is now the most bloat infested android skin on the market. All their devices take forever to boot, for the most part.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
HDD speed has a LOT to do with bootup. So does the software you have installed and whether it tries to have junk running in the background on your PC. I've booted up a cleaned Win 7 install on both a mechanical (7200) HDD and a SSD. In both cases it came up superfast (in the SSD case under 10 seconds). By "cleaned" I mean I put all my stuff on it then go into sysconfig and under Startup turn off all the unneeded rubbish that the software I use tries to turn on at startup.

As to the phones, until there is an LTE Windows Phone on CDMA you can't use the TBolt for comparison. It needs the extra radios to allow simultaneous voice and data across all bands on CDMA. So the comparison would make more sense using an AT&T 3G Android.

Oh, and Sense on Android is NOT bloat. Really it is the only truly usable UI in Android. It also operates smoothly and quickly because it has customizations to Android over and above the UI. They also have the best email service (they bake ActiveSync into Sense) and their version of the browser also is better than Android usual. If you want really bad Android look at Blur.

That said. I'm all for WP. Give me an LTE Windows Phone on Big Red and I'm in!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how the Thunderbolt boots so slowly. My WM6.5 Imagio, which is clocked at only 528 Mhz, boots up faster than that. It also is a world phone, so it has CDMA and GSM (meaning it is only missing LTE), as well as Sense. Crazy...

The only thing I can take away from it is that Windows Phones don't need dual cores to do the same BASIC tasks that would require it on an Android phone. However, I still believe that if we are going to push WP on a gaming/media front, we need to get dual-cores out there. This is all moot, of course, because that is coming.

Last edited:

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
its not a blunt lie , that basically what it is

if you do a processing test ... with he titan and the thunderbolt , the titan runs about 4x times faster..

i did a test with the GS2 VS my Focus ... boot time is roughly the same , and they run just as smooth one another. with he GS2 needing double the power.
(actually I think its more than double the power )

its a question of simple math and what the phones needs to process with in a set time period. the longer it takes the slower it is.... and the fact that Android has HORIBLE coding due to Open source ( this is confirmed by just about everybody and everything ) actually ahs an affect on the over all quality of the phone?

if it was a lie , maybe you can explain to me why my FOCUS single core runs as fast as the GS2 duel-core?? When it should be clearly OWNING IT?
just like my duel-core PC rapes my G-f`s single core PC?.

I was meaning the Mac vs pc thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo