Voice-Controlled Music

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just read a post on Engaget that talks about concept apps "ZuneVoice" and "PhoneZune" which can be used to, well, control Zune with your voice! The developer plays and pauses songs and music videos through a webcam mic as well as a Lumia 800.

Read it on Engaget here, or just watch the video here.

Edit: Ahaha, did not notice there was an article here already; please forgive my lack checking.

Last edited:

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Good good, just the reaction I wanted :D I've got more plans for this. The video was a 'teaser' proof of concept.

Question, will the voice commands be able to be used within zune in the phone itself?
If it is, then I see this very useful in the following scenarios

- Control my car stereo through bluetooth.
- Change tracks on Zune through bluetooth commands without having to take my phone off my pocket/sports armband when I'm biking or at the gym.

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Question, will the voice commands be able to be used within zune in the phone itself?
If it is, then I see this very useful in the following scenarios

- Control my car stereo through bluetooth.
- Change tracks on Zune through bluetooth commands without having to take my phone off my pocket/sports armband when I'm biking or at the gym.

Not yet unfortunately. However, the tools I need to get it to work on the phone are rumoured to be made available soon and accessible by developers. Until that happens, I think it'll be tricky (not impossible) at the moment.

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Not yet unfortunately. However, the tools I need to get it to work on the phone are rumoured to be made available soon and accessible by developers. Until that happens, I think it'll be tricky (not impossible) at the moment.

Yeah, I also heard that too. There suppose to open up voice control to developers. If and when they do, this is gonna be a crazy great app.

Great job keyboardP!

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I also heard that too. There suppose to open up voice control to developers. If and when they do, this is gonna be a crazy great app.

Great job keyboardP!

Thanks :) Can't wait to get my hands on the on-phone voice stuff. Have some other ideas I'd like to test out.

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
DANG!!! This looks great!

Sent from my Focus via Board Express

Glad you like it! It's slowly but surely taking shape now, functionality wise. I've decided what's going to go into version 1 so that I don't end up constantly developing it and never releasing it. :D

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Ohhh, very nice! I can see this being used as a nice little prank as well and being used as a tool that is used to play a clip on a cue.

If you make a paid version for it, I will most certainly buy it! Thanks for all the hard work!

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Ohhh, very nice! I can see this being used as a nice little prank as well and being used as a tool that is used to play a clip on a cue.

If you make a paid version for it, I will most certainly buy it! Thanks for all the hard work!

I can not be held liable for whatever the app is used for and its consequences :D

Thanks for the support!

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Oooooh, it can be like, "And the winner is..." to play a short drumroll clip, "[person's name (not actually part of the spoken request)], you've won!" to play a The Price is Right clip, and "You have 30 seconds left" to start that 30-second (or however long it actually is) Jeopardy clip to name a few ideas. I can see this working nicely with club activities. The anime club at my university did stuff like that and used those kinds of clips, but they manually clicked play on Youtube or their media players.

Ideas, ideas...

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Figured I'd continue this thread instead of starting a new one, but the beta version, TellDJ Rehearsal, is now out. If your voice works with this, then the Windows Phone version should work just fine. This version is free and works with any PC microphone you have. I'd appreciate any feedback and I'll take it on board for when the Windows Phone version is released (which works directly with this, so any changes made will affect the WP version). There's more info and download links on the official site TellDJ Rehearsal. Will be interesting to see how it picks up everyone's accents :D

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. I'm going to be recording a tutorial video with tips on how to get the most out of it. The documentation is barebones for the beta, but I'll improve that soon.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, when I tried out the Voice Recognition Lab, it did not work for me D: I tried testing many songs in the Test Centre, but it did not return any results. I think the mic is working properly since it only displays a "Cannot find" notification if I say something before releasing the keys; if I say nothing and release, nothing happens. I really like how much I can do with it (and the mute when speaking is a great touch imo); I just hope I can use it in the future x3;

Ah, I downloaded the x64 version if you were curious.

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, when I tried out the Voice Recognition Lab, it did not work for me D: I tried testing many songs in the Test Centre, but it did not return any results. I think the mic is working properly since it only displays a "Cannot find" notification if I say something before releasing the keys; if I say nothing and release, nothing happens. I really like how much I can do with it (and the mute when speaking is a great touch imo); I just hope I can use it in the future x3;

Ah, I downloaded the x64 version if you were curious.

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried to recreate this scenario and I couldn't on my machine nor on some other user's machines. However, I could recreate it when using Windows 8 in a virtual machine. I'm looking into why Windows 8 in a VM does that but not others. I have a feeling it might relate to the computer speed or microphone drivers.

You can try adjusting the levels of the microphone. If you go to the VRL...then to the 'Microphone' tab...then click the 'Microphone settings' button. Then double click your microphone and go to the 'Levels' section. Try adjusting that value. (If it's quite low increase it and vice versa). I'll see if I can figure out why it's happening this weekend.

Thanks again for downloading! Hopefully get this sorted for you soon :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos