12-13-2011 02:49 PM
164 ... 4567
tools
    You didnt have to change what I said. I didnt include those sites because I dont use them.
    Sorry... still needs editing:

The me tile is a better social app than window's Facebook app. That's about it for me, as I don't use Windows Live, Twitter, or Linkedin.
    :)
    12-11-2011 01:28 PM
    I like the 'core idea' of using custom hubs as folders to have specific apps within it; the problem with this though is the time that takes to open a hub (with all the animation and stuff) Yeah, yeah it's probably less than 2 secs but still it might be annoying over time.

If "I like the way it is" fits you then I guess Microsoft shouldn't released anything at all then and we could all just forget about Tango, Apollo, et all. :dry
    I don't think anyone is implying that the os shouldn't advance or change, just that incessantly whining and calling anyone who isn't angry with it "delusional", or acting as if your opinion is total fact will not strengthen your argument any further as to what you personally think needs fixing..

I just get sick of hearing people calling others down because they aren't horribly disappointed with the current state of things.
    HeyCori, jfa1 and Matthew Mazzenga like this.
    12-11-2011 02:22 PM
    Neither will saying I like it make it cease to be an obvious issue.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    12-11-2011 02:31 PM
    As I'm not a dev, I don't know how difficult this would be, but if we could merge tiles, I believe it would solve any home screen AND notification issues people are experiencing. A hybrid tile that's been merged with other tiles would flip (horizontally) showing each app it's merge with and their notification count as normal. Horizontal flips are key in separating apps like pages in a book. Each independent app can still show their flip side by flipping vertically.
    12-11-2011 02:31 PM
    Neither will saying I like it make it cease to be an obvious issue.

once again, I know you think that your opinion is the be all end all, and that is fairly obvious, however an "obvious issue" to one might not be an obvious issue to someone else.

Perhaps try showing a little respect, and also learning to have some humility.
    12-11-2011 02:45 PM
    Let's recap... windows phones have toast notifications, live tile notifications and a list of notifications inside many apps, including a running list inside the me tile.

There are clearly not enough ways to view notifications ;)
    Matthew Mazzenga likes this.
    12-11-2011 03:31 PM
    2 rows is plenty for me...the arrow is something I don't use often but I would never say it bugs me...perhaps we could have a couple more icons below the arrow?? Page down perhaps or a jumplist shortcut?? Maybe even a notification icon :). Yeah that would work...but don't mess with the size of the tiles!

Sent from my Samsung Focus! Board Express Rocks! WP7 4ever!
    12-11-2011 04:11 PM
    once again, I know you think that your opinion is the be all end all, and that is fairly obvious, however an "obvious issue" to one might not be an obvious issue to someone else.

Perhaps try showing a little respect, and also learning to have some humility.
    This has nothing to do with my opinion, and it's not disrespectful. Your post upthread lacked respect. That's why I ignored it.

You don't have to view my posts. The ignore feature exists for a reason.

I wholeheartedly support it.

Ciao.
    12-11-2011 06:46 PM
    Big Supes, sorry if what I say upsets you to the point where you need to change it..didnt think it was that bad..

Anyway, I pinned the me tile to my home screen and I think it's a lousy excuse for a notification system. At first I thought it was cool when I got a fb like but quickly grew tired of waiting for it to flip. Also Im not too keen on having a picture of myself on my home screen..
    Last edited by jdd77; 12-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    12-11-2011 07:38 PM
    2 rows is plenty for me...the arrow is something I don't use often but I would never say it bugs me...perhaps we could have a couple more icons below the arrow?? Page down perhaps or a jumplist shortcut?? Maybe even a notification icon :). Yeah that would work...but don't mess with the size of the tiles!

Sent from my Samsung Focus! Board Express Rocks! WP7 4ever!
    That arrow is completely useless and takes up space. I would be surprised if Microsoft includes it in next gen devices. I feel like we're the guinea pigs..lol.
    12-11-2011 08:00 PM
    Different strokes for different folks I like that for the most we can state our cases in a civil tone and the end results is that possibilities for constructive chnage can be determined and maybe hopefully folk from MS and the carriers have people lurking and scoping out for changes or if not that if ideas seem plausible at least we have a place to bring it direcyly to MS's attention in the voting section and keep advancing the os to where more people are happier with it and more people are adopting the platform.
    12-11-2011 08:19 PM
    This has nothing to do with my opinion, and it's not disrespectful. Your post upthread lacked respect. That's why I ignored it.

You don't have to view my posts. The ignore feature exists for a reason.

I wholeheartedly support it.

Ciao.
    so then explain how your opinion of something being an obvious issue means it IS an obvious issue?

You pull the exact same stuff on xda, I see you called out for your arrogance constantly..
    12-11-2011 08:25 PM
    Because everyone that isn't obviously biased like you has come to that pretty common sense uaability-related conclusion.

The notification system in this OS is extremely lacking.

I guess all you do on your phone play on twitter and Facebook, though.

Do me a favor and ignore me so I don't have to entertain your rhetorical questions.

I'm arrogant. You're bitter and ignorant. Which is worse?

P.S. Good job on toting down the disrespect. By now I'm used to being called names by platform warlocks. No skin off my back :-)

1jaxstate1 likes this.
    12-11-2011 11:09 PM
    N8ter... Everyone is biased, including you. That is the point people are trying to make, but you keep missing it.
    12-12-2011 12:03 AM
    biased?

I had wp7 for like a month, I've been an android user for 2 years lol..
    I like android too, I just like good phones.

Unlike you though I realize that people like different things.

I wonder how you're so busy yet you come on here hours at a time. Since, you know, everyone who doesn't use their phone to the epic proportions you do obviously just uses it strictly to dabble on twitter, etc..

Which company do you run/country do you govern?
    12-12-2011 12:14 AM
    I carry my smartphones everywhere and most of my posts come from a Tapatalk client. I think you can figure that out.

Who is "everyone, " btw?

12-12-2011 02:15 AM
    By "everyone", I mean every person.

By "bias", I mean "a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation".

Just because everyone doesn't view the notifications issue the same, doesn't mean that most of us can't get along.

I think the point of these discussions is to see what others think so we can learn from each other and influence each other in a respectful manner.
    Big Supes likes this.
    12-12-2011 02:43 AM
    I'd love to know how a discussion about home screens got so personal over a notifications system.

Some people like the way it is, some people think it needs to change; the same is true of pretty much everything in life. How about getting back to discussing ideas of how it could be changed?

Personally I liked the idea someone else gave, on having other buttons under the arrow. I would take it one step further though and have them quite well spaced so you could press one or press and swipe and it would take you to the corresponding screen.

While perhaps a little more horizontal real estate would be nice (they could change it to be more like the Windows 8 Start Screen), I think it's pretty good the way it is. Unlike with android and iOS, I've not found the need to install many apps as the OS has most functions built in so I'm not fighting my way through a stack of software to find what I want.

I have no doubt that at some point there will be a folder style option for stacking tiles, I am also sure though, that it wont be included until it's better than what iOS and Android are offering for folders; which is functional but pretty horrible.
    12-12-2011 06:13 AM
    We all have an opinion in this thread in our lives and in everything we do. My opinion is this thread started as a good debate on something some think needs improving. Do we need a second home screen? That is the topic of this thread the topic is not who has an opinion. Below this post will be on topic additions to the thread or they will be removed. I suggest everyone review the form rules and keep in mind that insulting other forum members is against forum rules.

Dave
    12-12-2011 06:17 AM
    Big Supes, sorry if what I say upsets you to the point where you need to change it..didnt think it was that bad..
    I was only kidding around - hence the wink smiley. :) It was merely to show you how very different the two statements are. I respectfully move on as per Dave's post. I just didn't want you to think I was upset or had a problem.

Anyway, I pinned the me tile to my home screen and I think it's a lousy excuse for a notification system. At first I thought it was cool when I got a fb like but quickly grew tired of waiting for it to flip. Also Im not too keen on having a picture of myself on my home screen..
    I agree that the tile takes a while to flip sometimes. It would be nice if the pause was decreased by 10%.

I disagree that it's lousy. Even at it's worse (being lazy), I can routinely click it, swipe to the right and it loads up any notifications and 'what's new' from 4 different social networks. I can also check in or post an update to all these different platforms from this one single feature. That's not lousy... that's pretty effin cool.

My picture on the home screen never really bothers me, although most of time my Facebook profile picture isn't one of me, anyway. :D
    12-12-2011 07:29 AM
    I do agree with another home screen, but it has to be different than the main screen in order to continue differentiating WP in a good way from iOS. I already through out the idea of the screens (1) the main screen for all square tiles (2) the alphabetized app list as it is today (3) a screen to the left for all rectangular tiles. This could also give developers the option of offering square tiles, rectangular tiles or a choice.

Another thought for the third screen, is a metro style list of favorites like on Zune. The list could include favorite apps, websites, people, groups, songs, artist, etc. It would just be in a list form instead of more tiles. It would be great for apps that don't need a live tile.
    12-12-2011 08:10 AM
    Evidently you are not getting the picture. Toast notifications only are up for about 5 seconds. Notifications that are insides app that are not at the top often go unseen. The list of notification inside the "me" tile, is for facebook/twitter/Linkden(sp). With over 40,000+ apps, if you can't see a need for a central notification center, or some type of WP7 loyalist, that can't see the problem with this due do your unrelenting love of the OS.
    Let's recap... windows phones have toast notifications, live tile notifications and a list of notifications inside many apps, including a running list inside the me tile.

There are clearly not enough ways to view notifications ;)
    What do people do when they are sleep at night and you get some type of notification. Assuming you guys are not sleeping with your phone. Do you really get up and check for missed alerts?

People sound like Steve Jobs saying "Your holding it wrong", when you say people should put their "notification" using apps at top. Didn't know you had to use to phone a certain way for it to be useful.
    12-12-2011 08:14 AM
    Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles walking down the street at midnight can see that the notification system is the worst out of the four major OSs. Can't see why others can't. People just tend to defend what they are "fans" of.
    Because everyone that isn't obviously biased like you has come to that pretty common sense uaability-related conclusion.

The notification system in this OS is extremely lacking.

I guess all you do on your phone play on twitter and Facebook, though.

Do me a favor and ignore me so I don't have to entertain your rhetorical questions.

I'm arrogant. You're bitter and ignorant. Which is worse?

P.S. Good job on toting down the disrespect. By now I'm used to being called names by platform warlocks. No skin off my back :-)

12-12-2011 08:27 AM
    Not in defense of anything here OS or other wise but I don't have a need for an intrusive notification system. Having to open a page to clear notifications from apps like weather channel or USA today is one of the reasons I don't like Android. Who want to have to be clearing notifications from a bunch of non essential apps. If I have time and I am looking at the screen then I will pay attention to the 5 second pop up if not I want it to go away. In this way it is my opinion that WP has it rite. Everything else that I do need and want to make sure I don t miss I staple to the screen. MHO
    Matthew Mazzenga likes this.
    12-12-2011 08:54 AM
    The flashing notification light could be utilized in a MUCH better way than it is now on wp7. When the battery is low, there's a continuous red flashing light until the phone dies. When you miss a call, there's a green flashing light but it's very short lived. WHY isn't there a continuous flashing light to notify you of messages, notifications, alerts or updates?... If it takes awhile to scroll around to see where you have notifications, at least you would be alerted to check. This bugs the crap outta me that wp7 doesn't do this.
    12-12-2011 08:54 AM
164 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD