12-13-2011 02:49 PM
164 ... 567
tools
    I carry my smartphones everywhere and most of my posts come from a Tapatalk client. I think you can figure that out.

Who is "everyone, " btw?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I can tell. Now you do know there is a setting in tapatalk, boardexpress to disable the signature, right? Reminds me of the beginning of the iphone era when I got multitudes of emails saying "sent from my iphone"..... Started to bug me. Like I have any idea what a SGH-T959 is anyway.

Not targeting you, BTW. Anyone with the default sig from board express is on my list. :)

Not in defense of anything here OS or other wise but I don't have a need for an intrusive notification system. Having to open a page to clear notifications from apps like weather channel or USA today is one of the reasons I don't like Android. Who want to have to be clearing notifications from a bunch of non essential apps. If I have time and I am looking at the screen then I will pay attention to the 5 second pop up if not I want it to go away. In this way it is my opinion that WP has it rite. Everything else that I do need and want to make sure I don t miss I staple to the screen. MHO
    Simple fix for that would be a clear all notifications button.

I do not have a big issue with the notifications though. I think it could use some more work, but its not horrible either. Though I just came from a 3G iphone which was basically the same as WP7 for notifications. Scan for little numbers indicating something needs attention.
    12-12-2011 09:14 AM
    In my opinion, adding a notification screen would be fine if it's unobtrusive. I wouldn't use it, but I can see the point of it. Adding horizontal real estate to the main home screen would be fine too. That would actually fit more with the Windows 8 design and the Xbox dashboard. If you think about it, the main home screen is kind of like a hub with two spokes: the main screen and the apps list. There would be nothing wrong with extending the hub to include a wider main screen or another spoke for notifications.

The thing that worries me is the mentality that WP needs fixing because it's not like Android. Clearly, if you are a power user, you will want WP to be more like Android with widgets, customizability, notifications, etc. But then again, if you're a power user who wants all that, why not just get an Android phone. I don't want MS to make WP more like Android to the detriment of those of us who like it the way it is.

I, for one, don't want to be inundated with notifications from a hundred apps. If it's not an important phone call, text message, or email, then my world won't end if I miss a notification.
    wolf1891, power5 and jfa1 like this.
    12-12-2011 09:53 AM
    Not in defense of anything here OS or other wise but I don't have a need for an intrusive notification system. Having to open a page to clear notifications from apps like weather channel or USA today is one of the reasons I don't like Android. Who want to have to be clearing notifications from a bunch of non essential apps. If I have time and I am looking at the screen then I will pay attention to the 5 second pop up if not I want it to go away. In this way it is my opinion that WP has it rite. Everything else that I do need and want to make sure I don t miss I staple to the screen. MHO
    exactly!

That's how I feel as well...

Text tile, phone, me and email are pinned up top so I see the important stuff right away.

It works fine for me
    12-12-2011 11:06 AM
    Yes, I can tell. Now you do know there is a setting in tapatalk, boardexpress to disable the signature, right? Reminds me of the beginning of the iphone era when I got multitudes of emails saying "sent from my iphone"..... Started to bug me. Like I have any idea what a SGH-T959 is anyway.

Not targeting you, BTW. Anyone with the default sig from board express is on my list. :)
    Just my 2 pence...

I've intentionally left both my email and board express signatures 'on'. The reason being is because I feel they serve a purpose. It clearly shows the person you're communicating with that you're away from a computer.
    12-12-2011 01:35 PM
    Just my 2 pence...

I've intentionally left both my email and board express signatures 'on'. The reason being is because I feel they serve a purpose. It clearly shows the person you're communicating with that you're away from a computer.
    Could always just tell them you are away if needed. I would rather do that than have my customer decide what I can and can not accomplish because I am away from my desktop at the moment.

There are lots of settings (more than iOS) that can be turned on or off in WP. A notification center could easily be one of those things. So if a toast pops up it mirrors that information into the notification center. If its turned off, it just doesn't get recorded into the center and no harm.
    12-12-2011 03:48 PM
    My humble opinion agrees with you BigD5!
    12-12-2011 04:15 PM
    Since 1) I'm new to WP7, and 2) I don't have all of the services turned on (facebook, twitter), can I ask the group to lay out all of the apps & integrations that one could get a notification from? Also, please list 1) whether or not there's a live tile that indicates (by a number? or otherwise) when there are notifications/messages that haven't been "seen" (this is different than unread, right?); 2) whether or not there's any count indicator (of unseen messages) on the locked/initial screen (the one that you see when you first turn the phone) on; and 3) whether or not a popup/toaster is used.

I'll start with what I know:

> Email - Live tile count: yes, Lock screen count: yes, toast: ?? (I only sync once every 15 minutes)

> Text messages - Live tile count: yes, Lock screen count: yes, toast: yes

> Phone calls - missed call: Live tile count: yes, Lock screen count: yes, toast: no, *also: green flashing indicator

> Phone calls - voice message: Live tile count: yes, Lock screen count: yes, toast: yes

>Marketplace (app updates): Live tile count: yes, Lock screen count: ???, toast: ???

There's a method to my madness: I'd like to get the full picture of what all the possible messages and notifications are and what interfaces WP7 currently provides to each. I'm not struggling with notifications right now, but like I said, I don't have everything turned on, so I want to know what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!
    12-12-2011 07:07 PM
    Could always just tell them you are away if needed. I would rather do that than have my customer decide what I can and can not accomplish because I am away from my desktop at the moment.

There are lots of settings (more than iOS) that can be turned on or off in WP. A notification center could easily be one of those things. So if a toast pops up it mirrors that information into the notification center. If its turned off, it just doesn't get recorded into the center and no harm.
    The only time a notification goes to notification center in ios is if you ignore or miss the toast. If you tap on it to open that app no notification goes there. Microsoft can easily do the same.

And to someone above. You don't have to be a power user to want a decent notification system. I dunno why people are still using the power user crutch to excuse usability and functionality deficiencies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    12-12-2011 07:19 PM
    What do people do when they are sleep at night and you get some type of notification. Assuming you guys are not sleeping with your phone. Do you really get up and check for missed alerts?

People sound like Steve Jobs saying "Your holding it wrong", when you say people should put their "notification" using apps at top. Didn't know you had to use to phone a certain way for it to be useful.
    Steve Jobs??! Now that's a low blow! ;)

But seriously. Yes, I actually do check my phone when I get up in the morning to see if there are any missed calls/messages/whatever. I keep those tiles pinned toward the top of the Start screen, because I want them to be the first things I see when I unlock the phone. It takes me about 5 seconds to check for that info...taking into consideration the time it takes to unlock my screen, and the fact that I'm a little slow first thing in the morning. :)

Now I'm not saying you can't use the phone however you want, BUT....I do think this is how Microsoft intended it to be used. And before someone spouts off, NO I don't work for MS or know anyone who works for MS, so NO I don't have solid proof of my statement....but it does seem to be the idea that was put out there when the OS first started being talked about. You pin your most used apps to the Start screen, in the form of a live tile. This was a concept that I liked and it was one of the reasons I decided to try the OS out in the first place. And so far, it has worked well for me.

But again, that's just me. If you need something more, then I sincerely hope Microsoft hears your pleas, and answers accordingly. Just as long as you getting what you want doesn't interfere with how I prefer to use MY phone.

Good luck to ya. :)
    wolf1891 likes this.
    12-12-2011 08:08 PM

Simple fix for that would be a clear all notifications button.

I do not have a big issue with the notifications though. I think it could use some more work, but its not horrible either. Though I just came from a 3G iphone which was basically the same as WP7 for notifications. Scan for little numbers indicating something needs attention.
    It's a Samsung Vibrant. The T-Mobile USA Galaxy S variant that runs Android 2.2/FroYo.

I tend to post mostly from that and my iPod Touch because the Tapatalk clients on Android and iOS are better than BoardExpress on WP7.
    12-13-2011 12:04 AM
    Maybe so - "if needed". I just find it a useful tool to inform people I'm away from the computer (without entering into a discussion about it). Obviously, if it's something important, I'll state the case, but in general, I have customers, family, friends, who I know will contextualise my message once they read the signature. Just the same way I would if someone was replying to me 'in brief' on a forum.

I guess you could find it a bit of 'past time' if it was seen as trendy 'back in the day', but I never did.

Personally, when I'm flat out and stressing, constant toast notifications as I'm mid-flow would most definitely shorten the phone's life expectancy. Maybe I've got a temper problem with gadgets, but my HD7 is the only phone that hasn't irritated the living crap out of me at the pinnacle time it shouldn't have. :D
    12-13-2011 06:35 AM
    Notifications can be turned off though. I would hope a notification center would have the same type of setting. Pretty sure all the OSs can disable notifications.
    12-13-2011 08:11 AM
    Yes you can turn off notifications in those other systems. The pushback against a notifications center makes no sense to me.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    12-13-2011 02:46 PM
    Notifications can be turned off though. I would hope a notification center would have the same type of setting. Pretty sure all the OSs can disable notifications.
    I guess that would work. I wouldn't mind so much if I could turn it off. I guess I would just prefer it if WP came up with it's own idea... like it has done for most of it's UI. Something like a small symbol at top of the home screen (in line with the clock) could work - when you see it you turn the home screen page to landscape and it fades to your all of your tiles in a row with notifications (doing their live tile thing).

Toast works for Messenger on your PC/mac, but it's far too intrusive for me on a phone.
    12-13-2011 02:49 PM
164 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD